User Tag List

Thread: When love causes pain. (With an update)

Parrots

Tyrael - 2 yr old Male Alexandrine Reptar - ? yr old White Fronted Amazon Holly - 1.5 yr old Congo African Grey Freddie Mercury - 1 yr old Cockatiel

When love causes pain. (With an update)

Please note this story is a month old but I felt that perhaps you all would be interested in hearing it. Update at the bottom

I love animals. All animals. I do not even like putting down ant killer in my yard because I hate the idea of killing all the ants. So, when a cat decided to walk in my front door and act as if she lived there, my SO and I welcomed her with open arms.

The cat was the greatest cat you could ask for. She would sit in our laps while we watched TV and head butt us for attention whenever possible. She even became best friends with our dogs we ended up getting about a year after she moved in.

There was one small problem however. She had been living outside for awhile and had lived off what she could catch. So we kept the cat out of the room with our hamster and things did well until the day she slipped in without us seeing. The cage crashed to the floor and broke apart and we ended up burying our hamster in the middle of moving to another house.

I was angry, and upset that it happened but not so upset at the cat as myself. The cat was being a cat and had absolutely no idea why no one wanted to pay her any attention for a few days. Eventually we forgave her for what happened and moved on.

At that time we had Tyrael, our Alexandrine, and the cat was again always kept separate, but was never that interested in the big ol bird anyways.

Things went smoothly from that point on until one day we were asked to take in a small green parrolet. This was one of the cutest birds I had seen and its attempts at biting were comical. My SO finally found a bird she could be comfortable with.

Now the cage that Pistol (The parrolet) came with was a cheap plastic bottomed wire cage that barely held together. We decided to keep Pistol on my computer desk where I spent most of my time and away from the cats.

Fast forward a couple months and I get a phone call from my SO which I am barely able to understand, but what I did get was that Pistol was dying in her hands. I was home within 20 minutes and was there with my SO as Pistol passed away. We buried him that night next to our hamster.

What was the cause of Pistol dying? Procrastination. I swore when I got Pistol I would replace the cage with something more sturdy and had failed to make that happen. Whether I was short on money or time seems so small to the cost Pistol and we paid for that delay. The cat that killed our hamster managed to get into the room with Pistol and jumped on the side of the cage which then collapsed and fell off the desk. Moments after, my SO found Pistol in the living room bleeding and well, the rest you already know.

I went back to work because I had to and swore up and down, that cat was going to live outside. When I got home, she tried to snuggle up to me and I pushed her away. Meanwhile my SO and her Mom both argued that we should let her stay and that our birds were all big enough that she could not hurt them. Against my better judgement, I caved, and we kept her inside.

Fast forward about a year and while in a pet store, my SO touches the glass where this clumsy cockatiel is tapping and we both fall head over heels for this little baby bird.

My SO finds the sturdiest cage she can, pays a ton at the register and we come home feeling confident that this time, everything will be ok. The cage is self standing with proper sized bars that I couldn't even get my pinky through very well. It was heavy and certainly could not be pulled over.

We named the cockatiel Freddie Mercury. Because, well, why not? She lived in the room with me and the rest of the birds for a long while. We then moved her to our bed room and eventually to the dining room as we had not had any issues with the cats and the cage was certainly cat proof. This went fine for a long while. Until this weekend that is.

I wear contacts and actually took them out for the first time in months on Saturday morning. The day was spent as any other, playing computer, chatting with the birds, and enjoying the weekend. Around 7pm or so, I hear a racket behind me from Freddie and turn to see a very blurry picture of the cat crouched between the cages. As all I can see is blurry colors I can see that Freddie is in the middle of her cage yelling at the cat. I immediately shoo the cat away and seeing Freddie on her perch, assume all is well and go back to what I was doing.

Sunday morning, my SO goes to see Freddie and says she thinks there is blood on the cage. I think, surely not?! Must be berries. I put in my contacts and see it was even worse then she had known. Blood on the wall, on the cage, food bowl, perches and on Freddie. Her tail was gone, and blood colored her wings a dark red on the tips.

We immediately take her to our bedroom and put the cat up. I give her a bath to clean the wounds so I can see better and I let her hang out with my SO as I go investigate.

9 feathers littered the floor where her cage was. 9! Blood splattered the walls and I feel like the biggest failure ever. My kid just got hurt and nearly died due to a threat I knew I should have handled twice before.

Freddie spent the day with me. She did not sing "If your happy and you know it" and was very quiet throughout the day. She did however get upset that I wasn't sharing my chips with her even though she had been given a large pile of treats due to guilt.

This morning, Freddie was sitting on her perch while I got ready for work. Hopefully, I will come home to see her and get to bring her out.
    Our animals have no choice but to trust in our judgement. They do not get to argue a decision or point out reasons why we should not make a certain choice. In truth, they don't even know it is us who caused them to be hurt.

What hurts most is that Freddie wants to be with me, and I am the bad guy. She has no idea that I am the reason she is in pain. I am the reason she no longer sings "If your happy and you know it". And all I can do is take the second chance I got but did not deserve and try to get her to sing again.
    Please learn from my terrible costly mistakes. I loved the cat. She was as cuddly as could be and thought she was a dog. But as a father of a small feathered child, I should have made the hard choice long ago. Do not let compassion put your animals in harms way. This is the mistake I made, my love for my cat caused pain for someone who trusted in me wholeheartedly.

Currently, the cat has a new home at a family members house where we can visit and Freddie remains in our room being watched like a hawk.

Learn from me...please.

UPDATE! Freddy is growing in her tail feathers and is singing again

2. The following 3 users like this post:

Debra (12-18-2013), Honesty (12-18-2013), kendrafitz (12-19-2013)

Thank you for sharing this story with us Edward! I am so sorry for what happened to Pistol and Freddy. I am sorry you had to learn the hard way as you put it

I am so pleased to hear that Freddy is singing again and glad to hear the Cat has a new home

Parrots

Tyrael - 2 yr old Male Alexandrine Reptar - ? yr old White Fronted Amazon Holly - 1.5 yr old Congo African Grey Freddie Mercury - 1 yr old Cockatiel
    It was a tense couple of days but things worked out Couldn't be happier!

5. The following user likes this post:

Honesty (12-18-2013)

Administrator

Parrots

Blue & Gold Macaw "Jack" | Military Macaw "Maynard" - RIP | Hyacinth Macaw "Zaffer" - RIP | Green-wing Macaw "Salsa" | Nanday Conure "Bozley"
    Thanks for sharing your horribly tragic story with us, Edward. I hope many folks will take it to heart! Carnivorous pets and companion birds simply DO NOT mix well! And that's especially true when one's cat(s) and/or dog(s) are large enough to overpower one's pet bird(s). I wish more folks would realize the dangers that they are creating for their pet birds by allowing them to live in the same space with larger cats and dogs. All it takes is a single opportunity for a split second! Sadly, by then it's often too late. Even the stress imposed upon a bird from a cat or a dog being allowed near the bird's cage isn't fair to or healthy for the bird.

Unfortunately, I've found that many folks are simply bullheaded about this topic and tend to become offended when they are warned. Ignorantly, they would rather believe that they have matters under control or that their pets would never be a threat to one another. That kind of thinking is a HUGE mistake!

Thanks again for sharing your story. I'm so glad to know that Freddie is on a path to recovery and that the cat has been re-homed. It was indeed an extremely harsh and catastrophic lesson for you and your partner
    He wanted to live. He was my Heaven... He's gone!

Parrots

eclectus x 4, cockatiels x4, lories x2, budgies x26 and babies all year round of all my birds
    it is a hard lesson to learn, me myself hate cats for that reason, they kill for the sake of it not because they are hungry like almost every other animal,but im so happy for you and Freddy now that she is growing back her tail feathers and singing again.

Nobility Member

Parrots

Catalina Macaw - Harlow, Blue & Gold Macaw - Rocky, Greenwing Macaw - Ruby, Bluefront Amazon - Tequila, Hawkhead - Charlotte, 2 Blk hd Caiques - Sammy, Greta, Yellow streaked Lory - Louie, LesserSulpher 2 - Belly, Sunconure - Gingee, Yellow sided Greencheek - Disco, Goffin - Pearl, Rosebreasted 2 - Owen
    You don't have to tell me twice !
    http://i1350.photobucket.com/albums/p779/Blancaej/Terrisignature2_zpsb1f5f78e.jpg

Parrots

Quincy CAG Hatched 03/2000 Gotcha @ 3 months old ~ Savannah GW Macaw Hatched 06/1993 Gotcha 4/2013 ~ Coqui B&G Macaw Hatched 09/2003 Gotcha 10/2013 ~ Sidney Blue Crown Conure Gotcha Day 06/2015 Hatch Date Guess 06/2010.
    This was a story that needed to be shared and I thank you for that. I'm sorry to hear about your losses but am so glad Freddy is doing well! Glad you found a good home for the cat!

"Nothing that matters comes easy, and nothing easy ever really matters." ~ Lyrics From Ordinary Girl By Rick Springfield