User Tag List

Thread: Revisiting the Old Question

Threaded View

Parrots

Rosie, our Greenwing Macaw (Hatchday 4/1/12)

Revisiting the Old Question

So yesterday I was watching a YouTube video of a woman with about 20+ birds, a cat and a pig. She was doing an “educational” video on macaws and African greys.

While I found it somewhat entertaining I didn’t agree with one thing she stated. When she was talking about her African grey parrot, she said that greys are special bc they are the only parrot that speaks cognizantly. She went on to explain that greys are the only parrot that speak in context.

I disagree with this. My Rosie is not a great “talker”. But when she does she almost always speaks in context. I am 100% sure of this as she is usually making a demand and if I don’t comply I am met with annoyed screams.

For example she says “Up”, when she wants me to pick her up. “Hi” or “Hello” when someone comes in or the phone rings. “Apple” for anything she loves. “Apple” has also been I love you but she draws out the word. If I don’t say I love you she will draw it out verryyy slowly while looking at me like she is dealing with a dope. “Peek-a-Boo” and “Beep Beep” are also used in context with the expectation of me doing the correct action. Garbled “water” and “shower” are used when we are showering. She also started saying garbled “I love you” when we snuggle. Garbled “Good Girl” and “Good Boo Boo” is what she says to the dogs when I am petting them.

I have seen so many videos of parrots speaking in context. How can someone say only one type of parrot is intelligent enough to speak in context?

How about your parrots? Do they speak in context?

These incredible creatures are way more intelligent than they are given credit for. It made me sad that a bird person would believe and spread misinformation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by kendrafitz; 07-14-2018 at 02:42 PM.
    Rosie & Kendra

2. The following 4 users like this post:

Casper's 2nd best friend (07-14-2018), Dragonlady2 (07-14-2018), Lady (07-15-2018), PlaxMacaws (07-14-2018)