User Tag List

Thread: Taming a Skittish Conure?

Parrots

A recently adopted 5-month old Green Cheek Conure.

Question Taming a Skittish Conure?

I recently adopted a 5 month old Green Cheek Conure named Mercy. She appears to be very shy, but still seems to want attention from me, which I gladly supply. We've started target training, but I'm not sure that's the way to go on this one. The only way she'll eat from my hand is if I'm using a very long string of millet that's a good distance away from my fingers. I know it'll take her awhile to warm up to me, but I just wanted to see if there were any good tips coming from people who have tamed skittish parrots. I'd really like to become close with her and be able to take her out of her cage/get her to step up/etc.

How did you guys do it?

Super Moderator

Parrots

Willy-Eclectus, Oliver-alexandrine, Mookie-Senegal, Bella- Australian King, Joey and Peewee- Barrabands, Peachiegirl-Peachfront conure, Pepper- crimson belly conure, Peanut-plum head, Babyblue-parrotlette, Harry and Louie-canaries.
    If you think about, you are invading the safety of her cage/home, if you are trying to train her in the cage. Will she come out on her own if the door is left open?
    It's usually easier to train if you can get the bird out/away from the cage.

As well, she needs to feel safe around you. It could be that the relationship between you both needs to develop a little more.

3. The following 3 users like this post:

Casper's 2nd best friend (08-19-2017), Lady (08-18-2017), Quakerella (08-17-2017)

Super Moderator

Parrots

8 quaker parakeets, 4 Indian Ringneck parakeets, 3 lovebirds, 5 cockatiels
    Fully agree with Helena, let her come out on her own. It will take time for her to gain trust in you and get used to her surroundings.

You could try putting a separate treat cup on the outside of her cage and put her millet and her treats in there. Leave the door open, and keep your distance while still being able to keep an eye on her. She will eventually have the courage to come out. When she does you can gradually step closer to her, you will know when you get too close. Keep trying this until you are able to stand beside her.

5 months is still very young and if you are consistant I don't believe it will take long.

5. The following 3 users like this post:

Casper's 2nd best friend (08-19-2017), Dragonlady2 (08-17-2017), Lady (08-18-2017)

Super Moderator

Parrots

Illiger Macaw (Primolius maracana)
    HI @YourMortalEmily
    Congrats on your new forever friend!! How did you come upon Mercy? Birds are pretty cool and they sure aren't push overs like some other animals we humans like to have around. I've never had a conure but I hear some great stories about them.
    When we first brought our Lady home she was somewhat friendly but it took her some time to get use to her new surroundings with all the new and different sounds and smells let alone two very large humans parading around her. We kept her in a central area where she could observe us and we would speak softly to her when we walked near her cage. Sometimes we would drop some treats into her bowl so she knew that when she saw us she just might get a bit of something she would enjoy and we weren't to scary. It's great to sit on the floor and read or just talk to her without making any quick moves so she wouldn't be startled.

In time and when you both are ready try bird proofing the area that she is in and then open her cage door. Stay close but not over top of her. Give her a chance to decide if she wants to come out. Be prepared ahead of time on how your going to get her back in the cage. A string of millet, a perch for her to step up onto or you could open her cage in a small room like a bathroom if it's small so you can have a better chance of getting to her. Make sure there are NO SMALL SPACES she could get into. Don't forget to lower the lid on the toilet as well if you choose the bathroom. Just some ideas.
    Looking forward to hearing how you make out.

7. The following 3 users like this post:

Casper's 2nd best friend (08-19-2017), Dragonlady2 (08-19-2017), Quakerella (08-19-2017)