User Tag List

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: 400 birds seized from Georgia doctors home..

Parrots

1 1/2 year old DNA tested male Lovebird- Nash
    I am already very well aware of the contageousness of this disease, and have taken proper precautions. These diseases are why we are losing so many volunteers. I have a second house I stay at for a full 24 hours before I go back to my birds, and take two showers before I visit them. My parents are divorced and I live with my father, and when I go see the birds I go to my moms house for the night and shower thoroughly, and wash the clothes immediately.

We tell everyone about this before they sign any papers to volunteer, and we make sure they know the dangers. The majority of our birds look very healthy, but we know that it doesn't always show up physically first. We are working on getting them all separated in different cages but obviously that may never happen considering the large number

A lot of people are not as lucky as I am with the whole "two house" thing, and can't volunteer anymore. It is very sad that these birds have this disease, and yes unfortunately we cannot get any of them adopted or rescued out until this disease goes away. We have quarantined all the carriers, and are medicating them, and are thinking of a plan of action for every other bird. Only a few actually carry the disease in their blood and give it out, but we believe a lot of them have it.. if not all of them.
    Last edited by lolsavannahh; 07-30-2016 at 01:42 AM.
    http://www.preciselyparrots.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=3935&d=1458826196

2. The following 4 users like this post:

Blancaej (07-30-2016), Dragonlady2 (07-30-2016), plax (07-30-2016), The Pinkertons (08-14-2016)

Super Moderator

Parrots

Willy-Eclectus, Oliver-alexandrine, Mookie-Senegal, Bella- Australian King, Joey and Peewee- Barrabands, Peachiegirl-Peachfront conure, Pepper- crimson belly conure, Peanut-plum head, Babyblue-parrotlette, Harry and Louie-canaries.
    Thanks for the update Savannah and I am so happy to hear that you knew to take necessary precautions for yourself and your birds.

They are so lucky that you are able to continue to volunteer. Are there enough donations to cover vet costs? This seems like a monumental task to vet every bird. Are the vets involved donating any of their time/costs?

4. The following 4 users like this post:

Lady (07-30-2016), lolsavannahh (07-30-2016), plax (07-30-2016), The Pinkertons (07-30-2016)

Parrots

considering there is no real cure for this disease... we are working with them as best we can. We do have a medicine for the carriers that seems to be working but we don't know for sure. vet bills for all of these birds will be well over 10000$ and we definately don't have those in donations.

( just realized that my first post about the disease seems very rude.. oops... Didn't mean it that way! Thank you all for looking out for me and my flock! I know I would do the same for you all (: )

6. The following 3 users like this post:

Dragonlady2 (07-30-2016), plax (07-30-2016), The Pinkertons (07-30-2016)

Banned

Good job

Savannah, I commend you on your selfless act of compassion for these poor creatures that have no choice and are at the mercy of human caregivers. I'm relived to hear that you are following proper disinfecting protocol.

P.P. is very forunate to have you as a Supporting Member and Advocate for the Vision, and Mission, in which Precisely Parrots endeavors... to guide and educate people in the Safety and Wellbeing of all Companion Birds,.

Thank you Savannah for your knowledgeable contributions .
    Last edited by The Pinkertons; 07-30-2016 at 08:48 PM.

8. The following 3 users like this post:

Dragonlady2 (07-30-2016), Lady (07-30-2016), plax (07-30-2016)

Super Moderator

Parrots

Willy-Eclectus, Oliver-alexandrine, Mookie-Senegal, Bella- Australian King, Joey and Peewee- Barrabands, Peachiegirl-Peachfront conure, Pepper- crimson belly conure, Peanut-plum head, Babyblue-parrotlette, Harry and Louie-canaries.
    Savannah, do you know if they (courts/vets) will be seeking vet costs from the owner? It only seems right that he be on the hook for the costs.

As well, do you know what the plan is with regard to rehoming? I just know that there is no way that I could take a chance with my flock and adopt any bird that I knew had contact with or was infected with PFBD. I hope there will be some good come out of this for the birds…this is heartbreaking.
    Last edited by Dragonlady2; 07-31-2016 at 03:55 AM.

10. The following 3 users like this post:

Mare (08-13-2016), plax (07-31-2016), The Pinkertons (07-30-2016)

Parrots

Quincy CAG Hatched 03/2000 Gotcha @ 3 months old ~ Savannah GW Macaw Hatched 06/1993 Gotcha 4/2013 ~ Coqui B&G Macaw Hatched 09/2003 Gotcha 10/2013 ~ Sidney Blue Crown Conure Gotcha Day 06/2015 Hatch Date Guess 06/2010.
    Such a great thing you are doing here! Thank you for helping out! Volunteers like you are so important in these situations!

"Nothing that matters comes easy, and nothing easy ever really matters." ~ Lyrics From Ordinary Girl By Rick Springfield

12. The following 5 users like this post:

Dragonlady2 (07-30-2016), Lady (07-30-2016), Mare (08-13-2016), plax (07-31-2016), The Pinkertons (07-30-2016)

Parrots

B&G (Jack) | MM (Maynard) - RIP | Hy (Zaf) - RIP | GW (Salsa) | NC (Bozley)
    He wanted to live. He was my Heaven... He's gone!

14. The following 4 users like this post:

Dragonlady2 (08-13-2016), Lady (08-12-2016), Mare (08-13-2016), The Pinkertons (08-13-2016)

Parrots

I can't see those links because of the computer I am on.. but if it was not already mentioned, he was arrested for the felony! We got him to sign the birds over as well, and we are already planning on what to do with the majority of them. A lot are going to aviaries in rescues and sanctuaries, and some will be sent to rescues to be sold as pets(: We are so glad that it is down to this.. I am not sure about their latest environmental tests and if they came back positive or not, but I am hoping for the best! These birds have gone through so much I am so glad to be a part of it!

( I am considering fostering a Jardine's parrot.. but I am not sure I am ready for 3! haha If the environmental tests come back clear I will consider it more, but I really don't want to risk my own birdies getting sick! )

16. The following 5 users like this post:

Dragonlady2 (08-13-2016), Lady (08-13-2016), Mare (08-13-2016), PlaxMacaws (08-13-2016), The Pinkertons (08-13-2016)

Parrots

B&G (Jack) | MM (Maynard) - RIP | Hy (Zaf) - RIP | GW (Salsa) | NC (Bozley)
    Quote Originally Posted by lolsavannahh View Post
    I can't see those links because of the computer I am on.. but if it was not already mentioned, he was arrested for the felony! We got him to sign the birds over as well, and we are already planning on what to do with the majority of them. A lot are going to aviaries in rescues and sanctuaries, and some will be sent to rescues to be sold as pets(: We are so glad that it is down to this.. I am not sure about their latest environmental tests and if they came back positive or not, but I am hoping for the best! These birds have gone through so much I am so glad to be a part of it!

( I am considering fostering a Jardine's parrot.. but I am not sure I am ready for 3! haha If the environmental tests come back clear I will consider it more, but I really don't want to risk my own birdies getting sick! )
    They've reported his arrest and his mugshot is at the top of the story. They emphasized that the birds are being held as evidence and will not be available for adoption (at least until the court releases them from evidence).

Thanks Savannah. Your assistance in helping these poor birds is commendable!
    He wanted to live. He was my Heaven... He's gone!

18. The following 5 users like this post:

Dragonlady2 (08-13-2016), Lady (08-13-2016), lolsavannahh (08-14-2016), Mare (08-13-2016), The Pinkertons (08-13-2016)

Banned

Seems this story is turning-out for the best...thanks to the efforts of people like yourself !,. How exciting to learn that you may take in one of them, I'm keeping positive thoughts that all of them will have a good outcome

20. The following 5 users like this post:

Dragonlady2 (08-13-2016), Lady (08-13-2016), lolsavannahh (08-14-2016), Mare (08-13-2016), plax (08-13-2016)