User Tag List

Thread: A Budding Conversationalist

Parrots

Itachi, handfed male budgerigar, 2m old

A Budding Conversationalist

Well, last night I had what I consider my first true exchange with Itachi the budgie.

Update on him, since it's been a while! He's a very happy bird, getting to the end of his first molt and his feathers are bright!!! Before he was very pastel, but now he looks like he rolled around in a jar of highlighters. He spends all day playing hard and fast with his toys, preebling and scrumbling from 8am to 8pm. Having trouble getting him to go to sleep though, he knows I'm awake and wants more lovin! This should be fixed as soon as we get the bird room set up and he gets out of my bedroom. He seems to understand a good deal of words we direct at him (we use a sort of kindergarten teacher voice for him and he knows that means we're addressing him) and even follows directions like "come here" and "no no".

His typical vocab consists of various dubstep-like mechanical whirs and noises, several songbirds, snatches of conversation I can't quite make out, and anything with the word "bird". So it's goes something like this:

"scrrrrscrrscrrRRRRRRRRpeedapeedapeedapeeeeepBABYB IRDchchchchchchchscareepscareepscareepscreepGOODBI RDchittachittaPRETTYBIRDtktktktktktkBABYBIRDscrrsc rrBABYBIRD"

ANYWAY so last night, here's the exchange:

*rattle rattle clang ping ping ping BANG screech screech*
    "No TOYS Itachi. Bed time."
    *rattling ceases*
    *rapid wingbeating and preebling*
    "BED time Itachi, it is LATE. Go to SLEEP"
    *flutter sound from one side of cage to other onto sleep perch*
    "Good bird, Itachi"
    "Gooberd"

No lead up/follow up noises. Just "Gooberd" and he went right to sleep. I'm a very lucky parront indeed!

Aaaaaand a pic for your patience, check out that pose:

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

2. The following 8 users like this post:

kendrafitz (05-06-2016), Lady (05-07-2016), lolsavannahh (05-06-2016), Mare (05-05-2016), Pinkbirdy (05-05-2016), Shyra (05-05-2016), Sucre (05-06-2016), The Pinkertons (05-05-2016)

Nobility Member

Parrots

Lineated Parakeet named Kobe (M) and (F) named Tango Maine Coon Kitty named Christine
    Budgies are a species with really awesome talking ability. I think it is rare for a female to talk. I had a male English budgie who could talk up a storm and had a very large vocabulary. I miss him very much.

4. The following 2 users like this post:

Mare (05-05-2016), Sucre (05-06-2016)

Nobility Member

Parrots

Sassy Goffin's girl, she IS Sassy Amigo, male umbrella cockatoo Chip! The cockatiel! The sweet, sweet Jellybean!
    Such a cutie! Thanks for the update!

Banned

It's amazing how well the little ones can talk

Parrots

Rosie, our Greenwing Macaw (Hatchday 4/1/12)
    So sweet and smart! What a Gooberd Itachi is!!!
    Rosie & Kendra

Parrots

1 1/2 year old DNA tested male Lovebird- Nash
    He sounds adorable!
    http://www.preciselyparrots.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=3935&d=1458826196

Super Moderator

Parrots

Illiger Macaw (Primolius maracana)
    Oh his feathers look wonderful. How sweet that he is learning to listen and talk.