User Tag List

Thread: Getting a Quaker to step out is possible

Parrots

Teka the Red Lored Amazon. . . Ruthie the Ruby Macaw.

Getting a Quaker to step out is possible

Very often I read that all Quakers are cage aggressive and they never step up out of their cage. Personally I feel that they are just more likely to develop these bad habits unless given the right amount of time and patience. Like with any parrot, they need positive guidance. When given, you get great results.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9uEcRGcJ4uc

2. The following user likes this post:

aliray (05-15-2013)

Parrots

Red Fronted Macaw~Holly, Hawk-Headed Parrots~ Cochise & Yuna, Black Capped Conure~Elfe, Softbills- Green Aracari~Pico, American Singer Canary~Kismet, Blue Naped Mousebird~Gryphon
    Great post. I can watch the video later..(I don't do videos in the middle of the night...sleeping birds)
    I have found one of the best tools for getting a bird to step up or go back into their cage is simply a perch attached to the inside of the door. It might seem to some that their bird won't go to it, but they do. This is especially helpful for cage aggressive birds.
    keep smiling

Akita/lab~Heartly, Netherlands Dwarf Bunny~Elliot, Fancy Goldfish & Loaches

4. The following user likes this post:

Blancaej (05-16-2013)

Thanks for posting this Steve Codie is very Cage aggressive and will not step up onto me from his Cage. What I do now, is just leave the door open so he can come out himself. Once he is out then I can do anything with him. To him, his Cage is his Castle, and no-one is allowed to enter it

Parrots

Red Fronted Macaw~Holly, Hawk-Headed Parrots~ Cochise & Yuna, Black Capped Conure~Elfe, Softbills- Green Aracari~Pico, American Singer Canary~Kismet, Blue Naped Mousebird~Gryphon
    Wendy, have you tried the perch on the door? I know it seems like this simple thing won't make a difference, but it really can. You swing the door open and guess what, they are technically not in their cage anymore.
    keep smiling

Akita/lab~Heartly, Netherlands Dwarf Bunny~Elliot, Fancy Goldfish & Loaches

Parrots

Nanday Conure (Rowdy), YCA (Pete) and CAG (Miss Merlin)
    I've never tried the perch on the door for Rowdy. What we've done from day one is I open the door, and she comes down to the open door and then she will step up. Maybe I should try the perch though. She does let me in her cage now with a lot less aggression. Instead of biting my hand, she might jump on my shoulder and pull my hair, lol!

My Frankie is cage aggressive. We let him come out on his own then use a towel draped over our hand to get him to step up. We can even get him to go back into his cage by telling him we have to go or it's bed time. He's good about that and we are happy to work with him and not make him feel uncomfortable.

Little Amber is only cage aggressive with my hubby. We let her come out on her own and play on/in her cage most of the day. We have a perch on her door so when we have to leave or it's bed time all we do is have to tell her and touch her perch. She will get on it and wait for her ride into her cage. She's a timid little thing and when she feels the need to be left alone, she will go into her cage and close the doors! She's a smart one she is.

Parrots

White bellied caique named Meiko :)
    My Quaker was cage aggressive but I just stuck my hands/fingers in there anyway and just let him get a little bite while I put my finger on his chest and made him step up. He's bite kind of hard sometimes but I didn't mind. Haha I just made him step up and then he was fine after he knew I wasn't playing around.

10. The following user likes this post:

Blackhawk007 (05-16-2013)

Parrots

Quincy CAG Hatched 03/2000 Gotcha @ 3 months old ~ Savannah GW Macaw Hatched 06/1993 Gotcha 4/2013 ~ Coqui B&G Macaw Hatched 09/2003 Gotcha 10/2013 ~ Sidney Blue Crown Conure Gotcha Day 06/2015 Hatch Date Guess 06/2010.
    Carole - I have a perch on the cage door for Quincy and I find that works really well for him! He will step up from the perch or the top of the door usually with no problem, unless he really doesn't want to step up for some reason. I understand that sometimes they just don't want, too!

"Nothing that matters comes easy, and nothing easy ever really matters." ~ Lyrics From Ordinary Girl By Rick Springfield

Nobility Member

Parrots

Sassy Goffin's girl, she IS Sassy Amigo, male umbrella cockatoo Chip! The cockatiel! The sweet, sweet Jellybean!
    The Sassy Goffin's will not step up from her cage because she is hardly ever on it, as soon as that door is opened, she is either on your shoulder or getting into mischief! She is cage aggressive, though, when I'm cleaning it. There have been times when I've had to put her in the carrier, just to clean her cage without getting hassled by her.