User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Birdie Breakfast

Parrots

Casper, a blue fronted Amazon. Loves banana. Hates plastic bags and red coats.
    Yesterday Margaret gave Casper a small bunch of five or six grapes still on the vine. It was put in his fruit bowl with some other stuff. Later we noticed the bunch had been moved to his other bowl with his Harrisons. Not sure if this was because it was in the way of his other fruit or so he could alternate between Harrisons cubes and grape without having to keep going back and forth.
    "A busy beak is a happy beak" - David Strom

2. The following 3 users like this post:

kendrafitz (03-19-2016), Mare (03-16-2016), mdg1109 (03-17-2016)

Nobility Member

Parrots

Lineated Parakeet named Kobe (M) and (F) named Tango Maine Coon Kitty named Christine

4. The following user likes this post:

Casper's 2nd best friend (03-17-2016)

Parrots

Sun conure, Black crowned conure, Yellow sided conure, and an IRN
    I wish my gang would eat more veggies. About the only one I can get them to eat consistently is broccoli. I have tried EVERYTHING. They don't care for rice or pasta at all. I think they would starve before they would eat it. They love apples and pears, and most dried fruits - I buy an organic mix with coconut, pineapple, mango, banana chips and gold raisins, and everyone will pretty much eat that. They won't touch the peppers. They all eat Roudybush pellets, so I know they are okay in that respect, and I really try to mix it up for them, but sometimes when I come in from work I just go with what I know they will eat because I'm too tired to stand there and chop everything up just to throw it away in a couple of hours. I usually try the new things on the weekends, when I have more time on my hands, and more energy. I've got to pick up some pine nuts, most birds seem to take to that.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Casper's 2nd best friend View Post
    Yesterday Margaret gave Casper a small bunch of five or six grapes still on the vine. It was put in his fruit bowl with some other stuff. Later we noticed the bunch had been moved to his other bowl with his Harrisons. Not sure if this was because it was in the way of his other fruit or so he could alternate between Harrisons cubes and grape without having to keep going back and forth.
    It's all in the presentation ! smart bird

7. The following 2 users like this post:

Casper's 2nd best friend (03-17-2016), mdg1109 (03-17-2016)

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Sucre View Post
    I wish my gang would eat more veggies. About the only one I can get them to eat consistently is broccoli. I have tried EVERYTHING. They don't care for rice or pasta at all. I think they would starve before they would eat it. They love apples and pears, and most dried fruits - I buy an organic mix with coconut, pineapple, mango, banana chips and gold raisins, and everyone will pretty much eat that. They won't touch the peppers. They all eat Roudybush pellets, so I know they are okay in that respect, and I really try to mix it up for them, but sometimes when I come in from work I just go with what I know they will eat because I'm too tired to stand there and chop everything up just to throw it away in a couple of hours. I usually try the new things on the weekends, when I have more time on my hands, and more energy. I've got to pick up some pine nuts, most birds seem to take to that.
    Pine nuts are pricey, but I eat them too I make fresh pesto with them, their good in salads & snacking I like to mix them with dried goji berries (expensive trail mix ) but really healthy! Bella likes that combo so we share, Bentley not a fan of Goji Berries. I think it depends on the species, what their likes and dislikes are when it comes to diet, for example Cockatoos Are more or less ground feeders except for the Gang Gang . so naturally it would be grains ,seeds, berries , Insects for protein, flowers, in Australia their found eating eucalyptus seeds and leaves hawthorn berries , Hibiscus flower, and so on, But not so much with the overly sweet fruits, They like melons cantaloupes, musk melon , , low in sugar fruit's are generally accepted by cockatoos. Try blue berries, messy though.
    Last edited by The Pinkertons; 03-17-2016 at 04:03 AM.

Parrots

Charlie-2 year old lesser sulphur crested citron cockatoo Peanut -1 year old White Bellied Caique
    So yesterday with his Kale, Grapes and Broccoli he did not touch it. Today is bananas, carrots (one of his favorites) and I put in some cooked elbow pasta. I am feeding him the Zupreem breeders blend pellets because that is what the breeder had him on. I am still hand feeding him once a day in the evening 10ML. The vet recommended Lefebers. I am worried that he is not getting enough to eat though. He is active and vocal but he just looks skinny (I know I sound crazy). Our vet said to bring him by anytime for a weight check so that is on the to do list tomorrow.

Banned

get yourself a gram scale , weigh him in a couple times a week at approximately same time to get a true read, keep a log , if while he's still growing once he reaches a year old he will have bulked up, then once a week is good, this is the time to get him used to being handled. while he's still impressionable. Lesser Sulfur Crested Cockatoo=Weight is 250-400 grams

11. The following user likes this post:

mdg1109 (03-18-2016)

Parrots

Casper, a blue fronted Amazon. Loves banana. Hates plastic bags and red coats.
    Casper on the kitchen scales and a little perch I made.

How to weigh a parrot by Jean-Pierre Declemy, on Flickr

"A busy beak is a happy beak" - David Strom

13. The following 2 users like this post:

mdg1109 (03-18-2016), The Pinkertons (03-17-2016)

Parrots

Charlie-2 year old lesser sulphur crested citron cockatoo Peanut -1 year old White Bellied Caique
    What a great idea Suzanne, thank you. Jean-Pierre that is a genius idea. He loves to be handled he is extremely snugly and does well with even m 5 year old carrying him on his arm. He truly has become very loved and a member of the family even in the short month we have had him.

The ladies at the vets office love him, and I love the vet her family has raptor rescue in Southern Maryland. Her passion is birds. I think if I turned my back at the vets office the ladies would birdknap Charlie because they all came in to see him on his first visit.

We are going today to check his weight.

Have a great day everyone!

15. The following 2 users like this post:

Casper's 2nd best friend (03-18-2016), kendrafitz (03-19-2016)

Banned

Joyful !

Charlie is one lucky baby bird! I happy for him and your family, for exchange of joy you provide each other.

17. The following user likes this post:

mdg1109 (03-19-2016)