User Tag List

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Adopt vs shop

Quote Originally Posted by lolsavannahh View Post
    Okay so I saw this on another forum and if you think we are there just trying to be rude or tell you not to get it you are badly misreading the situation. We, BIRD OWNERS, are telling you our honest stories and opinions about a first time owner getting a goffins cockatoo as a pet bird. Not a singe person said " don't get a cockatoo" "don't get a bird" or anything along those lines. Near the end when someone stated a V E R Y honest opinion, that 99% of bird owners agree with (and I would have said it myself if I had known you better) you started to kinda ignore all of our comments... Birds are a huge commitment and it seems you are just not getting that through your head. We are just trying to warn you that 1) a cockatoo as a first bird is going to be a huge change in your life and you will most likely not be ready at first, and it will be stressful for not only you but your family. Most birds are harder to take care of than DOGS. You can't just throw a toy for them and then they go entertain themselves. You cannot let them go play outside alone while you do your chores, you NEED to include them, and it can make your chores take 3 times as long.
    Birds are 3 year old children that can and will attack you when something goes wrong, and it'd not always your fault. I once wore a bright orange shirt to the bird rescue I volunteer at and I went to play with my favorite macaw, whom was friendly with me and let me hold him upside-down like a baby, and when I reached into his cage he bit my wrist so hard it broke in 2 places. JUST BECAUSE I WORE AN ORANGE SHIRT. This bird and I were very close, but he didn't like this color because maybe his previous owner wore it and abused him, or even that he just didn't like the color, I don't know. You know how hard it is to raise and have a toddler, so you just need to know that this is like having another toddler that will NEVER EVER grow up.. seriously. Birds have the intelligence of 3 year old humans and they will most likely live longer than you will. Are you prepared to have a toddler for the rest of your life? If you are then PLEASE, rescue a bird! You are seriously 1 in a million, and we appreciate your patience with children and birds, but if you are not, then that doesn't mean you shouldn't get a bird, but you should just take this all into consideration.
    Not one person here is being rude, and you need to understand that. We want what is best for these animals and what is best for you. A macaw or a cockatoo is so so much work and money that most of us here who have owned or cared for one wouldn't recommend it for 80% of humans in the world. Their brains are so filled with knowledge and power that you just can't control it. They will outsmart you, and you need to understand this. You cannot punish them like you can a child, they will fight back. Did you know that macaws can have over 100 pounds of pressure per square inch of their beak. You can't yell at them, you definately can't hit them, or do anything else. The worst you could possibly do is just put them in their cage, but even that is just cruel to the bird. They deserve to be out of their cage 12-16 hours a day considering their intelligence and how they are not domestic animals. Once again this is just brushing the surface of owning a bird, and all we are doing is just saying " Hey! This is bigger than getting a dog! This is a money-shredding, time-shredding, vacation-ruining, plan-crushing thing! Be prepared!" You will likely never be able to go on a vacation ever again and if you do, it can't be longer than 3-4 days without your bird possibly getting anxiety, plucking, or having new behavioral problems because you left them with a new human and they didn't know why.
    Do you also think this is the only place I've asked about cockatoos? All I'm asking for are respectful answers and you're talking to me like I've never read a thing. I've been researching and wanting a bird for years. I'm finally, FINALLY FINANCIALLY STABLE enough to own one.
    Again, mind your manners bc I'm not stupid and I've done my research.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

I appreciate everyone (almost everyone's answer. ) but now I know asking some people results in this garbage.
    To those who were helpful thanks. Hopefully I meet the bird of my dreams soon! ♡♡♡

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Okay so I saw this on another forum and if you think we are there just trying to be rude or tell you not to get it you are badly misreading the situation. We, BIRD OWNERS, are telling you our honest stories and opinions about a first time owner getting a goffins cockatoo as a pet bird. Not a singe person said " don't get a cockatoo" "don't get a bird" or anything along those lines. Near the end when someone stated a V E R Y honest opinion, that 99% of bird owners agree with (and I would have said it myself if I had known you better) you started to kinda ignore all of our comments... Birds are a huge commitment and it seems you are just not getting that through your head. We are just trying to warn you that 1) a cockatoo as a first bird is going to be a huge change in your life and you will most likely not be ready at first, and it will be stressful for not only you but your family. Most birds are harder to take care of than DOGS. You can't just throw a toy for them and then they go entertain themselves. You cannot let them go play outside alone while you do your chores, you NEED to include them, and it can make your chores take 3 times as long.
    Birds are 3 year old children that can and will attack you when something goes wrong, and it'd not always your fault. I once wore a bright orange shirt to the bird rescue I volunteer at and I went to play with my favorite macaw, whom was friendly with me and let me hold him upside-down like a baby, and when I reached into his cage he bit my wrist so hard it broke in 2 places. JUST BECAUSE I WORE AN ORANGE SHIRT. This bird and I were very close, but he didn't like this color because maybe his previous owner wore it and abused him, or even that he just didn't like the color, I don't know. You know how hard it is to raise and have a toddler, so you just need to know that this is like having another toddler that will NEVER EVER grow up.. seriously. Birds have the intelligence of 3 year old humans and they will most likely live longer than you will. Are you prepared to have a toddler for the rest of your life? If you are then PLEASE, rescue a bird! You are seriously 1 in a million, and we appreciate your patience with children and birds, but if you are not, then that doesn't mean you shouldn't get a bird, but you should just take this all into consideration.
    Not one person here is being rude, and you need to understand that. We want what is best for these animals and what is best for you. A macaw or a cockatoo is so so much work and money that most of us here who have owned or cared for one wouldn't recommend it for 80% of humans in the world. Their brains are so filled with knowledge and power that you just can't control it. They will outsmart you, and you need to understand this. You cannot punish them like you can a child, they will fight back. Did you know that macaws can have over 100 pounds of pressure per square inch of their beak. You can't yell at them, you definately can't hit them, or do anything else. The worst you could possibly do is just put them in their cage, but even that is just cruel to the bird. They deserve to be out of their cage 12-16 hours a day considering their intelligence and how they are not domestic animals. Once again this is just brushing the surface of owning a bird, and all we are doing is just saying " Hey! This is bigger than getting a dog! This is a money-shredding, time-shredding, vacation-ruining, plan-crushing thing! Be prepared!" You will likely never be able to go on a vacation ever again and if you do, it can't be longer than 3-4 days without your bird possibly getting anxiety, plucking, or having new behavioral problems because you left them with a new human and they didn't know why.
    OK so maybe I over reacted before but I was more so talking about the tone of that guys message. I truly don't likebeing spoken down to.
    Maybe my cockatoo idea was a bad one, I'm still doing my research. But I am still looking for a bird you know? So it's like if maybe someone gave advice on a different medium sized parrot that would be cool.
    But telling me how horrible life is with one is super annoying. All birds are difficult

Parrots

Rosie, our Greenwing Macaw (Hatchday 4/1/12)
    Wow, we have some hurt feelings going around the forum today.

Ok, I don't have experience with cockatoos or severe macaws. I have read about both on the forums. I actually went to see an M2 when we met Rosie. I will tell you what my avian vet told me when I said we were thinking of a too but ended up not going that route due to my son's asthma. He said that he was so happy that we did not get a too. There are so many of them in rescues for a reason. Yes, they are sweet and cuddly. But they are not like that because they just feel like it. They NEED to have constant companionship. Most people are just not able to give these creatures what they need. So they end up bringing their once cute and cuddly bird to the rescue bc it has been plucking, screaming, etc.

My opinion is those guys are super smart and they need much more stimulation than most of us can give them. Which can result in a living hell for both the bird and the people. That is not to say that no one should ever share their life with a too. It just means that they are more challenging companions.

I know nothing about severes. I have read they are a more challenging macaw with a tendency to overbond. But that is all I know. I have a bird that is super bonded so I know that it can be tough at times.

I don't have much experience with any parrots but Rosie. I have always been enamored with male ekkies. I am not sure what quirks they have. But gosh they are just so sweet.

I also love blue throat macaws. Very sweet as well. The only thing is I have read they are super mechanical. Take their cage apart while you were at the store type mechanical.

Every bird will have quirks, just like people. You just need to find the quirks that work well with your quirks. Rosie and I work well together (most days) bc she is a goofball and I am goofy. We must sound like two dopes to anyone walking by. Silly talk and laughing.

Sent from my SM-T800 using Tapatalk
    Rosie & Kendra

5. The following 3 users like this post:

Mcowell87 (02-16-2016), plax (02-17-2016), spiritbird (02-17-2016)

Quote Originally Posted by kendrafitz View Post
    Wow, we have some hurt feelings going around the forum today.

Ok, I don't have experience with cockatoos or severe macaws. I have read about both on the forums. I actually went to see an M2 when we met Rosie. I will tell you what my avian vet told me when I said we were thinking of a too but ended up not going that route due to my son's asthma. He said that he was so happy that we did not get a too. There are so many of them in rescues for a reason. Yes, they are sweet and cuddly. But they are not like that because they just feel like it. They NEED to have constant companionship. Most people are just not able to give these creatures what they need. So they end up bringing their once cute and cuddly bird to the rescue bc it has been plucking, screaming, etc.

My opinion is those guys are super smart and they need much more stimulation than most of us can give them. Which can result in a living hell for both the bird and the people. That is not to say that no one should ever share their life with a too. It just means that they are more challenging companions.

I know nothing about severes. I have read they are a more challenging macaw with a tendency to overbond. But that is all I know. I have a bird that is super bonded so I know that it can be tough at times.

I don't have much experience with any parrots but Rosie. I have always been enamored with male ekkies. I am not sure what quirks they have. But gosh they are just so sweet.

I also love blue throat macaws. Very sweet as well. The only thing is I have read they are super mechanical. Take their cage apart while you were at the store type mechanical.

Every bird will have quirks, just like people. You just need to find the quirks that work well with your quirks. Rosie and I work well together (most days) bc she is a goofball and I am goofy. We must sound like two dopes to anyone walking by. Silly talk and laughing.

Sent from my SM-T800 using Tapatalk
    Yeah I was having a moment before! I completely understand not taking one on, I just want to find a medium sized bird to take on.
    It just really irks me when all I see is one giant negative comment.
    Yours was nice and helpful. I can jive with that.

7. The following user likes this post:

kendrafitz (02-16-2016)

Parrots

1 1/2 year old DNA tested male Lovebird- Nash
    You are taking my comment the wrong way. I promise I am not talking down to you and I certainly know you have been doing amazing research and if anything you're way more capable to own a too than most people and I am not trying to talk you out of it. You are getting angry or hurt with the way I am saying these things and that is NOT what I am intending I am truly trying to help and I understand now that it is not coming across that way. You are an adult and you can make your own personal and financial choices and that's 100% ok! I guess we bird owners want others to know how big it is to get a bird and it comes off as rude.. I volunteer at a bird rescue and we just see so many birds come through our door that it's heart breaking. We currently have several cockatoos and it's just sad to see what other people will do unintentionally to them and I know that you will most likely never do that and you have the best heart going into this and I am sorry for tearing away at that good heart! Severe macaws are beautiful and I definitely say do your research first! Haha there's a reason they're called " severe " macaws. We hope you will find that perfect bird be it a too or anything else an we support you fully!
    http://www.preciselyparrots.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=3935&d=1458826196

9. The following 2 users like this post:

kendrafitz (02-16-2016), spiritbird (02-17-2016)

You are taking my comment the wrong way. I promise I am not talking down to you and I certainly know you have been doing amazing research and if anything you're way more capable to own a too than most people and I am not trying to talk you out of it. You are getting angry or hurt with the way I am saying these things and that is NOT what I am intending I am truly trying to help and I understand now that it is not coming across that way. You are an adult and you can make your own personal and financial choices and that's 100% ok! I guess we bird owners want others to know how big it is to get a bird and it comes off as rude.. I volunteer at a bird rescue and we just see so many birds come through our door that it's heart breaking. We currently have several cockatoos and it's just sad to see what other people will do unintentionally to them and I know that you will most likely never do that and you have the best heart going into this and I am sorry for tearing away at that good heart! Severe macaws are beautiful and I definitely say do your research first! Haha there's a reason they're called " severe " macaws. We hope you will find that perfect bird be it a too or anything else an we support you fully!
    And I'm sorry I turned into a too when I snapped for no reason. I apologize. Lol seriously though love every persons opinion.
    And the more I read about mini macaws, nah no thanks haha
    I figure I have til November to decide on a bird. I'll b stalking much more

Super Moderator

Parrots

Illiger Macaw (Primolius maracana)
    Hi Mcowell87 and welcome to PP

Wow I'm so late to this thread, please forgive me. Have you done any research on the Hahn's Macaw? They are the smallest of the mini species and from what I have read very easy going in general. Also are you able to visit a rescue and see what some of these birds are like face to face so to speak. Maybe even a breeder or yes, even a shop. There is nothing more exciting to me then seeing them live.

I have a Illiger's and she is what I look forward to coming home to each day after work (after my hubby of course)! She has been with us about 7 years. Unlike you I didn't do much research before we brought her home, but I have owned many different birds years before and thought I knew what we were getting our selves into.

Lady is a wonderful girl, most of the time. Stubborn as heck when she wants to be, doesn't like to cuddle but will allow me to scratch her head and neck. Making kindling out of her toys seems to be her favorite thing to do while she waits for me to come home. She can go through a $25 toy in two days or less. She enjoys bath time in her water dish and is happy if I join in with a sprayer.
    She and I had a much stronger bond earlier on in our relationship, but as of late it seems she is gaining interest in my hubby, which is wonderful as long as I can still get some love too. She isn't too loud but some days she is more vocal than others. Her bite is for sure worse than her bark.
    We don't have small children so I don't know how she would be with them and we don't have many folks visit with her as she doesn't seem to take kindly to strangers even looking her way.

If I should ever find myself wanting a new member of family I would lean toward a Hahn's. I would hope to go to a breeder and get a baby because I would love to form a strong bond while s/he is young. Of course that doesn't mean s/he wouldn't prefer my hubby over me in time but I hope I would have a good chance at having a good trusting relationship.

12. The following 2 users like this post:

kendrafitz (02-17-2016), Mcowell87 (02-17-2016)

Quote Originally Posted by Lady View Post
    Hi Mcowell87 and welcome to PP

Wow I'm so late to this thread, please forgive me. Have you done any research on the Hahn's Macaw? They are the smallest of the mini species and from what I have read very easy going in general. Also are you able to visit a rescue and see what some of these birds are like face to face so to speak. Maybe even a breeder or yes, even a shop. There is nothing more exciting to me then seeing them live.

I have a Illiger's and she is a what I look forward to coming home to each day after work (after my hubby of course)! She has been with us about 7 years. Unlike you I didn't do much research before we brought her home, but I have owned many different birds years before and thought I knew what we were getting our selves into.

Lady is a wonderful girl, most of the time. Stubborn as heck when she wants to be, doesn't like to cuddle but will allow me to scratch her head and neck. Making kindling out of her toys seems to be her favorite thing to do while she waits for me to come home. She can go through a $25 toy in two days or less. She enjoys bath time in her water dish and is happy if I join in with a sprayer.
    She and I had a much stronger bond earlier on in our relationship, but as of late it seems she is gaining interest in my hubby, which is wonderful as long as I can still get some love too. She isn't too loud but some days she is more vocal than others. Her bite is for sure worse than her bark.
    We don't have small children so I don't know how she would be with them and we don't have many folks visit with her as she doesn't seem to take kindly to strangers even looking her way.

If I should ever find myself wanting a new member of family I would lean toward a Hahn's. I would hope to go to a breeder and get a baby because I would love to form a strong bond while s/he is young. Of course that doesn't mean s/he wouldn't prefer my hubby over me in time but I hope I would have a good chance at having a good trusting relationship.
    Thanks for your response! I'm honestly glad to be researching first, I really hope I find a suitable bird for us.
    Thank you also for your advice!

14. The following user likes this post:

Lady (02-17-2016)

Banned

Hello there, I can't give good advice on a Goffins Cockatoo because I don't have one. I have a Amazon and a Severe Macaw, to be honest they get hormonal but that only lasts for so long and it can be remedied. Goffins are pretty but I am biased for Zons and Macs. :P

A lot of websites will attack folks or even mentioning getting a bird while admitting they have no prior experience, but no worries PP is not like those other sites. The people here at PP are so kind and friendly, so no worries we all gotta start somewhere. Look at me, I never had firsthand experience with big birds but I jumped right in did research and bought one well okay I bought two haha... No regrets here.

Good luck! I think adding a pet bird is a good idea! and I agree a medium to large bird is a better idea, it's easier to bond and love on them in my honest opinion.

16. The following user likes this post:

Mcowell87 (02-18-2016)