User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Almost ate a button

Nobility Member

Parrots

Catalina Macaw - Harlow, Blue & Gold Macaw - Rocky, Greenwing Macaw - Ruby, Bluefront Amazon - Tequila, Hawkhead - Charlotte, 2 Blk hd Caiques - Sammy, Greta, Yellow streaked Lory - Louie, LesserSulpher 2 - Belly, Sunconure - Gingee, Yellow sided Greencheek - Disco, Goffin - Pearl, Rosebreasted 2 - Owen

Almost ate a button

Im so trusting of Harlow.I let her climb allover me and dont pay attention.This morning she was mouthing a button on my pajama pants.I pushed her away [she doesnt normally do this] .In lightning speed ,she broke half off in her mouth. The first thing I thought of was [I think something happend like this to Plax s Zaf] I didnt care if I lost a finger [I got it out] I dont think the close vets to me could handle it [scary].Luckily it was only one piece. Im lucky Harlows alot like Tabs Fargo [very gentle].The moral of my story is ,dont underestimate your bird and I need a better emergancy vet plan.

2. The following 4 users like this post:

Honesty (05-11-2013), Kalidasa (05-10-2013), Mare (05-10-2013), Turquoise (05-11-2013)

Parrots

Keiko - yellow crowned amazon parrot
    How cute, I'm glad she's okay

4. The following user likes this post:

Pinkbirdy (05-10-2013)

Administrator

Parrots

Blue & Gold Macaw "Jack" | Military Macaw "Maynard" - RIP | Hyacinth Macaw "Zaffer" - RIP | Green-wing Macaw "Salsa" | Nanday Conure "Bozley"
    Yeah Terri, I have to pay close attention to my guys all the time when I'm holding them, especially Zaf. And when they're on me I always make sure that I'm not wearing a shirt that has metal fasteners. Zaf will also go for metal zippers like the ones on certain couch cushions, so I have to be extra careful not to let him around anything like that. I'm glad you were able to get the piece from Harlow! A vet plan for during the week and one for weekends, as well as emergency numbers loaded in your phone are very good things to set up.

6. The following 4 users like this post:

Honesty (05-11-2013), keepsmiling (05-10-2013), Pinkbirdy (05-10-2013), roxynoodle (05-10-2013)

Parrots

Red Fronted Macaw~Holly, Hawk-Headed Parrots~ Cochise & Yuna, Black Capped Conure~Elfe, Softbills- Green Aracari~Pico, American Singer Canary~Kismet, Blue Naped Mousebird~Gryphon
    I am glad she did not swallow it. Though generally birds do not swallow foreign objects. They do love to keep things hidden in their beak, and scare us half to death though...
    keep smiling

Akita/lab~Heartly, Netherlands Dwarf Bunny~Elliot, Fancy Goldfish & Loaches

8. The following 3 users like this post:

Honesty (05-11-2013), Pinkbirdy (05-10-2013), roxynoodle (05-10-2013)

Parrots

Nanday Conure (Rowdy), YCA (Pete) and CAG (Miss Merlin)
    I think breaking buttons is a typical game for macaws. KBEquine's GW does it and then yells, "Button Monster!"

My birds will all go for zippers so I can't wear things like zip up hoodies when I'm interacting with them. I know they aren't SS zippers.

10. The following user likes this post:

Pinkbirdy (05-10-2013)

Parrots

Quincy CAG Hatched 03/2000 Gotcha @ 3 months old ~ Savannah GW Macaw Hatched 06/1993 Gotcha 4/2013 ~ Coqui B&G Macaw Hatched 09/2003 Gotcha 10/2013 ~ Sidney Blue Crown Conure Gotcha Day 06/2015 Hatch Date Guess 06/2010.
    Terri - I am so glad Harlow is ok and you got the button out of his mouth! Coming up with an emergency plan is an excellent idea! Thanks for bringing that point up!

"Nothing that matters comes easy, and nothing easy ever really matters." ~ Lyrics From Ordinary Girl By Rick Springfield

12. The following user likes this post:

Pinkbirdy (05-10-2013)

Parrots

Caique- Pickles, Blue throated macaw- Lars, Medium sulphur crested cockatoo- Lilly, Double yellow headed amazon- Babe, Senegel- Rocky, Goffins cockatoo- Pearl, Catalina macaw- Fiesta and many many rescues!
    Terri my dads greenwing does this all the time and finds it to be a toy, although we defiantly do not allow him to play with them. I do know of people that hang buttons on toys not sure I'd do it or suggest it but it is heard of... Glad Harlow didn't swallow it I think they like playing the hide and seek through my beak game.

Parrots

Midnight-Blue & Gold Macaw
    This is a scarey thread but i do have a way of making midnight regurge for me almost on command.

I scratch the back of the couch while she is on it and then tap, do this a couple of times and voila midnight will regurge for me, everytime.

I am glad Harlow is ok Terri

They all seem to have a thing for buttons Codie has pulled every metal button off my Handbag. He pulls them and pings them across the floor

16. The following user likes this post:

Pinkbirdy (05-11-2013)

Parrots

2 Male Catalina Macaws, Roscoe & Angel~1 Female Green Wing Macaw, Ruby Jewel~1 Female Solomon Island Eclectus, Leyla Belle~1 Female Pineapple Green Cheek Conure, Peta (R.I.P.)~1 White Capped Pionus, Sierra Sunrise~ 1 Rose Breasted Cockatoo, Dakota Nakira'Too~1 female Pineapple Green Cheek Conure, Serita Lynae, 10 Parakeets
    Harlow~~You stinker!! Your Mom is going to have heart failure if you do that again.

Yep, buttons & zippers are so inviting to my kids too. Roscoe will grab & break one in a flash, but he drops the pieces because he is greedy & wants to break more. His thing is the fun in the game of: "Lets see if I can grab, twist, break & go for the next one before Mom can stop me!" He thinks Mom is old & slow, but he never makes it to the 2nd one.
    ~~My Flock~~
    *In Loving Memory Of My Sweet Little Peta Girl~~R.I.P~~Love Mom*
    ~~Gotcha'~04/20/2012~~Flew Over The Rainbow Bridge~02/28/2014~~

18. The following 2 users like this post:

Pinkbirdy (05-11-2013), plax (05-11-2013)