User Tag List

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Cockatiel acting strange!

Parrots

Cockatiel
    The blood results came in and so far they say she has liver disease. She is still not wanting to eat so they are tube feeding her, but she is a bit more active, which is a good sign. They are planning on keeping her there till she starts eating on her own.

Parrots

Casper, a blue fronted Amazon. Loves banana. Hates plastic bags and red coats.
    Fingers crossed it was caught in time and she will respond to treatment.
    "A busy beak is a happy beak" - David Strom

Parrots

B&G (Jack) | MM (Maynard) - RIP | Hy (Zaf) - RIP | GW (Salsa) | NC (Bozley)
    Quote Originally Posted by DRH21 View Post
    The blood results came in and so far they say she has liver disease. She is still not wanting to eat so they are tube feeding her, but she is a bit more active, which is a good sign. They are planning on keeping her there till she starts eating on her own.
    I'm sorry to hear about your tiel's liver condition. But depending upon its severity, it may not be fatal for her. If you've not already done so, be sure to do some adequate research on diet and nutrition for cockatiels. Here's one page that's on point concerning metabolism, the liver, and relevant nutrients: http://www.birdsnways.com/wisdom/ww61eiii.htm

Best of well wishes for your tiel! Please keep us updated.
    He wanted to live. He was my Heaven... He's gone!

4. The following 3 users like this post:

94lt1 (04-10-2015), Casper's 2nd best friend (04-11-2015), Lady (04-10-2015)

Super Moderator

Parrots

Illiger Macaw (Primolius maracana)
    Oh DRH,

Not the news anyone wants to hear . I am hoping she does well and can fight this disease. If you haven't read the article Tony put in his post, do it. It sounds like changing her diet and increasing some good organic items will help her in the chance to win the battle.

Nobility Member

Parrots

Lineated Parakeet named Kobe (M) and (F) named Tango Maine Coon Kitty named Christine
    Thanks for the updates. Good thing she is receiving vet care. Liver disease takes a while to reverse so have patience.

Parrots

Cockatiel
    Thank You all for the input. OK so today she is doing a little worse, the Vet said she is starting to have seizures, and she is not gaining much weight. I read multiple stories on the internet of Aloe Vera Detox liquid making a bird with severe liver disease that did not have much more time to live fully recover after a month or two. Do any of you guys have any experience using Aloe Detox? From what I've read people used it on birds with no hope and they returned back to normal. Do any of you recommend it?

Thanks

EDIT: PlaxMacaws, in the link you provided they recommended the Aloe detox. I'm going to buy a bottle, hopefully it works.
    Last edited by DRH21; 04-11-2015 at 05:18 PM.

Parrots

Yellow napped amazon Seminole, green wing macaw Monte, yellow budgie parakeet Avra , Sun conure Starburst... RIP Hendrick... Fly high pretty blue.. 5-5-14
    Keep your chin up.. Rain has liver and heart problems due to her breeding... But with following the vets Instructions and a bunch of green leafy vegetables.. She's happy and active...and according to her checkup Wednesday... Is "seemingly" healthy.. Meaning that had the vet not already known of her condition.. He wouldn't have been able to find it yesterday...

Parrots

Cockatiel
    Well the Vet called a little while ago and told me that she just had a big seizure and died. He's going to do an autopsy on her to see what was wrong on the inside. Thank you all for your support and advice. She had a nice 12 year life. What I regret though is not being able to take her to the vet sooner.

Parrots

Rosie, our Greenwing Macaw (Hatchday 4/1/12)
    I am so very sorry for yor loss.
    Rosie & Kendra

Parrots

Casper, a blue fronted Amazon. Loves banana. Hates plastic bags and red coats.
    Oh how sad. You have our deepest sympathy.
    "A busy beak is a happy beak" - David Strom