User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: disturbing truth :(

Parrots

Rosie, our Greenwing Macaw (Hatchday 4/1/12)
    Lol. Rosie is our first bird. We met when she was two months old and have been together ever since. Funny, but the small beaks scare me more than the big ones. The big guys apply slow pressure, the little ones seem to go for blood.
    Rosie & Kendra

Parrots

Yellow sided green cheek
    Quote Originally Posted by kendrafitz View Post
    Lol. Rosie is our first bird. We met when she was two months old and have been together ever since. Funny, but the small beaks scare me more than the big ones. The big guys apply slow pressure, the little ones seem to go for blood.
    I have to give you a lot of credit! Im kinda scared of them myself lol the biggest bird I've ever held and wanted to take home with me was a cockatoo, this was many years ago. It totally won me over! The owner was selling it at the time but my then boyfriend said No! Way! It was so incredibly affectionate too.

3. The following user likes this post:

kendrafitz (03-21-2015)

Parrots

Greenwing macaws,Blue and Gold macaws,Calico macaws.Military macaws,Severe macaw,Hahns macaw,firey shouldered conures,Sun conures,Blue crowned conure,Blackwinged jardine,Greater jardine,Quakers,Congo african greys,Jenday conure,goldcapped conure and SI eclectus
    Thats a pretty high number.Curious....is that a worldwide, north America or United States statistic.
    "Ivo"

Parrots

Casper, a blue fronted Amazon. Loves banana. Hates plastic bags and red coats.
    "There are lies, damned lies and statistics." - Mark Twain

Parrots

B&G (Jack) | MM (Maynard) - RIP | Hy (Zaf) - RIP | GW (Salsa) | NC (Bozley)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cedardave View Post
    Thats a pretty high number.Curious....is that a worldwide, north America or United States statistic.
    I'm unsure concerning the origin of the statistic. But I've seen it reported in multiple places. Granted, that certainly doesn't mean the 85% numeric wasn't created by someone and then echoed by others without validation. However, I'm inclined to believe that 85% is a fairly accurate representation considering the huge number of companion birds sold commercially and the huge number of companion birds flooding into rescues on an ongoing basis here in the United States. It genuinely seems believable to me that only about 15% of purchased parrots (i.e., 15 out of every 100 sold) find themselves in good, stable homes where they're able to remain for longer than 2 years. And that of course makes it reasonably believable that the remaining 85% are either purged or locked into neglectful living situations by those who initially purchased them.

Example quote:
    Ravens Haven Exotic Bird Rescue, Inc.
    Mission: Raven's Haven was founded in 2002 and grew out of the increasing need for homes for unwanted parrots in West Virginia. With rescue and rehoming of parrots the largest part of our organization we also work toward educating the public on parrots as impulse buys, which is why 85% of parrots are rehomed within the first year. We are completely run by volunteers.
    Form: http://greatnonprofits.org/org/raven...ird-rescue-inc
    He wanted to live. He was my Heaven... He's gone!

Parrots

Yellow sided green cheek
    I believe many are locked in neglectful situations. My neighbor got a lovebird about a month ago that they promptly set iout on the outside porch and there it sits, night and day, day in and day out. I never see anyone pay attention to it. They don't even cover it at night! It gets chilly at night here too. I cover Stitchy at night and he's indoors! I do live in a warmer climate but it can turn rather cold at night sometimes, especially in the spring.

Parrots

Sully, BB, Scooter, Rosie, and Gadget- Green Cheek Conures Fly free Bella, you will be forever loved
    Quote Originally Posted by StitchynMe View Post
    I believe many are locked in neglectful situations. My neighbor got a lovebird about a month ago that they promptly set iout on the outside porch and there it sits, night and day, day in and day out. I never see anyone pay attention to it. They don't even cover it at night! It gets chilly at night here too. I cover Stitchy at night and he's indoors! I do live in a warmer climate but it can turn rather cold at night sometimes, especially in the spring.
    Maybe you could try to educate them about parrots, or at least have them cover the poor guy. I had to educate my ex about being a parrot owner. She thought cockatiels were nocturnal so she covered hers during the day!

Parrots

Greenwing macaws,Blue and Gold macaws,Calico macaws.Military macaws,Severe macaw,Hahns macaw,firey shouldered conures,Sun conures,Blue crowned conure,Blackwinged jardine,Greater jardine,Quakers,Congo african greys,Jenday conure,goldcapped conure and SI eclectus
    The reason I had asked where the number came from is because where we live there is only one avian welfare coalition that will take in birds.There is really no rescue for birds other than a few breeders that are able to take in a bird here and there.We have ourselves rescued and taken birds needing new homes out of compasion.Many people online offer to take in your unwanted birds only to resell them for profit.So I dont know how accurate that number could be.Unless its for a specifically bird intense area, with accessable rescues to report the numbers to someone.Its sad at any rate.I look around me here at all the faces....they all have names....and I couldnt imagine sending any of them away, in spite of the fact that we are responsable breeders.
    "Ivo"

Administrator

Parrots

Blue & Gold Macaw "Jack" | Military Macaw "Maynard" - RIP | Hyacinth Macaw "Zaffer" - RIP | Green-wing Macaw "Salsa" | Nanday Conure "Bozley"
    The reason I had asked where the number came from is because where we live there is only one avian welfare coalition that will take in birds.There is really no rescue for birds other than a few breeders that are able to take in a bird here and there.We have ourselves rescued and taken birds needing new homes out of compasion.
    That's interesting. Yours sounds like a rather isolated area with regard to the proportionally lower degree of pet bird sales and trading.

Many people online offer to take in your unwanted birds only to resell them for profit.So I dont know how accurate that number could be.Unless its for a specifically bird intense area, with accessable rescues to report the numbers to someone.
    Apparently that's one of the realities contributing to the alleged statistic. There's a great deal of bird "flipping" happening via the Internet and any bird that's forced through the process qualifies as a *purge* to be included in said statistic. I'm sure the 85% is derived largely from extrapolation/estimation, like so much statistical data relied upon by corporations and governments these days. For example, television and radio program ratings have long been derived through techniques of extrapolation. And another great example would be endangered species counts. It's often a virtual impossibility to count all existing members among any particular endangered species group... so scientists resort largely to estimation and extrapolation developed from the number counts within limited areas. That's often all there is to work with.

Its sad at any rate.I look around me here at all the faces....they all have names....and I couldnt imagine sending any of them away, in spite of the fact that we are responsable breeders.
    Indeed
    He wanted to live. He was my Heaven... He's gone!

Nobility Member

Parrots

Sassy Goffin's girl, she IS Sassy Amigo, male umbrella cockatoo Chip! The cockatiel! The sweet, sweet Jellybean!
    I imagine that all of us on this forum are hard-core bird people, whether we asked for it or not..we love our birds come what may. In my opinion, the birds that are given up are from people that haven't tried hard enough. I realize that there are circumstances in which there is no other choice..but for people to buy and then decide they don't want,,I just shake my head..unforgivable.

12. The following 4 users like this post:

cdog (03-22-2015), kendrafitz (03-22-2015), Lady (03-22-2015), plax (03-22-2015)