User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Advice/information requested :)

Thanks you for the encouraging words! I know it might be a little difficult at first but I seem to be doing good with raising my kiddos so I'm guessing it'll be ok ! Lol. Crazylady- your B&G is beautiful. Thanks for the input on the cage size. I'll definitely look into a bigger one . They have some nice corner ones. I just got two books written by Sue Matten I think her name is ...Guide to a companion parrot and Well behaved parrot. They seemed to have great reviews. Hopefully I ca get a lot from these. I'll definitely keep fishing through the forum for any bits and pieces I can find . Thanks again for all your help!

2. The following 4 users like this post:

Blancaej (05-03-2013), CrazyBirdLady (05-03-2013), Honesty (05-03-2013), keepsmiling (05-05-2013)

Parrots

Nanday Conure (Rowdy), YCA (Pete) and CAG (Miss Merlin)
    I would also recommend a larger cage. I don't think I'd put a B&G in anything less than a 48" wide one. A double macaw cage would be even better as Carole suggested.

I'm sure you can keep large parrots with small children depending on the children. We all know some listen to advice better than others (and some just have to see for themselves, unfortunately). But, yes, a large macaw can do some serious damage to little fingers or faces so the children do need to be educated. I don't have children myself, but I'm guessing it is something you need to talk to them about at least daily for awhile if not a few times a day to make sure they really understand. Heck I was a high school teacher and there were things I needed to tell some teens pretty much daily, lol!

4. The following user likes this post:

keepsmiling (05-05-2013)

I'm guessing that I will be repeating thing s about 1001 times a day to my kiddos since I like to make sure they remember but that's what I do now so nothing new! Haha. I definitely like to be on the safe side with everything so this will be no different.

6. The following 4 users like this post:

Blancaej (05-03-2013), Honesty (05-03-2013), keepsmiling (05-05-2013), roxynoodle (05-03-2013)

Nobility Member

Parrots

Catalina Macaw - Harlow, Blue & Gold Macaw - Rocky, Greenwing Macaw - Ruby, Bluefront Amazon - Tequila, Hawkhead - Charlotte, 2 Blk hd Caiques - Sammy, Greta, Yellow streaked Lory - Louie, LesserSulpher 2 - Belly, Sunconure - Gingee, Yellow sided Greencheek - Disco, Goffin - Pearl, Rosebreasted 2 - Owen
    Harlow was my first big bird. I have a busy household too My birds are in my living room[ I have a double livingroom] I have 2 entrances and block them both off when I have the birds out. I take no chances.What I was worried about is getting her back in the cage before work . Not having her grab on to the side and whip herself up on top of her cage and not come down. So I put a perch on her door . When she was good on stepping onto it ,I gave her a treat . [This did work for me ] . Harlow comes out in the morning and right when I get home.She plays until dinner then eats with us. She goes back on a playstand [or me] until late evening . I think her schedule works well [shes a great bird] I think shes easy [such a joy ] . If she does her Macaw call [I dont ignore her] I yell hi Harlow and she switches to talking . I think the first most important think with your bird is building your bond.

8. The following 2 users like this post:

keepsmiling (05-05-2013), roxynoodle (05-05-2013)