User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: R.I.P Captain

Parrots

Bandit - Rose Breasted Cockatoo

R.I.P Captain

It actually happened two months ago but every time I tried to post it on this forum or another I'd make it ten words then backspace. Even now my fingers are still shaking.

His name was Captain, a cinnamon cockatiel. My first bird. I was 12. I remember watching all the cockatiels, they weren't tame so were flapping to get away from me. Captain, among them perched at a distance watching me not fearfully but curiously with his round eyes.

I remember clutching the white box fidgeting in my seat impatient to get home and see him. When we arrived him I opened the box and he hopped into his cage. White spotless horizontal bars, a white swing, a little basketball, a ladder with beads and a bell. I watched him quietly glaring at my little sister who was 8 to be quiet.
    I began to sing to him and he would watch me.

I left him alone to settle down for a day before opening the cage and letting him out of the stand. I scared of his bite but offered him my hand. He hopped on immediately pushing his yellow head between my fingers.

He was amazing. He would ride on my shoulder outside and together we would listen to the wild birds. I remember once I was cleaning his cage out in the front yard and Captain was in the garage. I saw a flash of grey streak past me towards the garage. A cat. Without thinking i ran to the garage and to my horror the cat was about to pounce on Captain was trying to get away. I hurled myself in front of Captain and was rewarded with claws in my arm. I shouted and the cat ran off and the funny thing was Captain landed on my shoulder and hissed after the bolting cat as if he were saying "thats right! Run!"

Captain always knew when I was upset and would make this crooning noise and preen my hair, he would hang out on my head when I did homework and ate with me. He was perfect.

Once He fell terribly ill and my parents said that he would be okay without the vet. But i knew birds better then they did and knew Captain would die. I was crying and pleading. Until I could no longer watch Captain suffer. I packed him into a warm travel cage with food and water and heat pads etc and walked to the door. My parents asked me "Where are you going?" I replied my voice cracking. "im walking to the vet." And so I went. Well not really because my parents stopped me and drove me in the end. They realise now just how important my birds are to me. He got treated ad became the healthy cheeky tiel i knew

I began working round the neighbourhood and doing chores to earn money and every cent went to Captains enrichment and wellbeing, i didnt care that instead I could have got the latest iphone, no i cared about Captain.

I remember before I went to bed Captain was on my shoulder, i was about to put him to bed and he spoke. He said something loud and clear in my ear. "I love you."

And then it happened a week before my 13 birthday this year. I woke up and my little sister ran into my room wide eyed. "Captain is gone!" I replied with "Haha Jessie his probably on the curtain top." My little sister shook her head, she wasnt smiling. An icy feeling of dread crept up my spine. I ran to his cage and froze. My mum was looking at me sadly. The tears came of course and after I felt like I cried all my tears. I couldnt look. The next two days I remembering feeling hollow, distant to everything, i didnt talk didnt cry. The only reason why I forced myself to pull it all together was my budgie who was grieving, she needed me. My sister after three days whispered to me "I heard him say it." I knew what she was talking about.

As for the white spotless horizontal bar cage with a white swing, a small basketball, a ladder with beads and a bell. Its in the shed gathering dust, hopefully I'll never see it again.

2. The following user likes this post:

aliray (04-28-2013)

Awww...hun, it always hurts to lose a loved one. Captain was a very lucky bird...he had a life of love. Take comfort in the fact that you gave him everything he needed.
    Sharon

Budgie....Sadie
    Linnie....Levi
    Canaries....Jake and Lacy
    Bourkes....Sam and Stella
    Yellow Naped Amazon....Fred

Banned

Sorry for your loss
    Captain sure sounded like a gem
    You have wonderful memories never to be taken away
    FLY FREE Captain

Parrots

Tiki,african redbellied, Sweetie Pie quaker, Chiquita, yellow sided gcc, Lucas, spanish timbrado canary
    I am so sorry for your loss. You had a very close bond. and you should be very proud of how well you cared for and loved him

6. The following user likes this post:

Pinkbirdy (04-29-2013)

Parrots

Red Fronted Macaw~Holly, Hawk-Headed Parrots~ Cochise & Yuna, Black Capped Conure~Elfe, Softbills- Green Aracari~Pico, American Singer Canary~Kismet, Blue Naped Mousebird~Gryphon
    What a beautiful tribute to a very special bird. You rest in peace now Captain, and watch over Angelica.
    keep smiling

Akita/lab~Heartly, Netherlands Dwarf Bunny~Elliot, Fancy Goldfish & Loaches

I am so sorry for your loss. Captain sounded wonderful and it sounds like you had a very close bond.

Parrots

Nanday Conure (Rowdy), YCA (Pete) and CAG (Miss Merlin)
    I'm so sorry for your loss. You wrote a loving tribute to him.

Parrots

Gilbert Oliver, Blue Crown Conure, hatched July 4, 2012. Georgie Leona, Sun Conure, February 8, 2001-August 8, 2012 RIP pretty girl
    i'm so sorry for how you feel. What you wrote beautifully captures the feelings involved with bringing your new pet home, and the image of the empty cage as a hollow reminder of what is gone. He will always be with you though, as much as you miss him, you will carry that part of him with you forever. I got my first bird, Percy, 20 years ago and i still think of my Percy all the time (he's been gone since 1999!)
    He is part of the reason i am a good parront to my birds since. The love i felt and still carry for Percy makes it all more meaningful.
    I'm glad you were finally able to post what you were feeling.

11. The following user likes this post:

aliray (04-29-2013)

Parrots

Bandit - Rose Breasted Cockatoo
    Quote Originally Posted by buddingtwigs View Post
    He is part of the reason i am a good parront to my birds since. .
    Same here with Bandit. I get paranoid about his health and well being quickly after what happened that I have three vets another 1 specializing purely on birds and 2 emergency vet hospitals. So sorry about Percy, he must of been a lovely bird!

Thanks to everyone, a huge weight of my shoulders knowing some people understand. My family felt for me but didn't really understand, dont blame them of course, they didn't realize that Captain wasn't a 'pet' to me or a even 'bird' to me, he was my little boy.

Parrots

Yellow napped amazon Seminole, green wing macaw Monte, yellow budgie parakeet Avra , Sun conure Starburst... RIP Hendrick... Fly high pretty blue.. 5-5-14
    It hurts a lot to lose a friend.. The one thing I've learned is... They'll live forever as long as you love them..

Buildings burn, people die... But true love lasts forever...