User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Wing Flipping in Amazons?

Wing Flipping in Amazons?

What could be some causes of wing flipping in an Amazon? I'm familiar with this in the eclectus, can the same causes be to blame? Can Harrison's pellets be too heavy on the vitamins? My amazon is eating the high potency, has been for 2 months. They recommend 6 months when converting. I don't supplement with vitamins. She gets small amounts of veggies and occ fruit or nuts as snacks. Very bizarre

Parrots

Nanday Conure (Rowdy), YCA (Pete) and CAG (Miss Merlin)
    A primary cause in any bird can be heavy metal toxicity. Unfortunately not all bird toys are made from safe metals and there have been reports of lead in powder coating for most of the major cage manufacturers. Or if the pc is missing anywhere on the cage, the wrought iron can be a source of HMT. And of course things in our home can be as well.

The pellets should be fine, but after the 6 months, I'd switch him to the Lifetime formula unless there is some reason to keep him on the HP. My zon has fatty liver disease and does better with the HP.

Is it possible to post a video for us to see what he's doing?

3. The following user likes this post:

Honesty (04-25-2013)

I will try to take a video. It's pretty sporadic so far. I will have to check my cage. 90% of my toys come from my safe bird store, or I make them myself...

Parrots

Red Fronted Macaw~Holly, Hawk-Headed Parrots~ Cochise & Yuna, Black Capped Conure~Elfe, Softbills- Green Aracari~Pico, American Singer Canary~Kismet, Blue Naped Mousebird~Gryphon
    Quote Originally Posted by Flashzon View Post
    She gets small amounts of veggies and occ fruit or nuts as snacks.
    Vegetables and a small amount of fruit should be a daily part of her diet. I would suggest a full check up with an avian vet is in order, including a CBC[complete blood count].
    Welcome to the forum!

6. The following 2 users like this post:

Honesty (04-25-2013), roxynoodle (04-25-2013)

That would be good if you could post a video. It will gives us a better idea as to what the problem could be.

8. The following user likes this post:

roxynoodle (04-25-2013)

Parrots

Nanday Conure (Rowdy), YCA (Pete) and CAG (Miss Merlin)
    Can I ask for some more information? How old is he and how long have you had him? Has he always done the wing flipping or did it start after you adopted him?

Has he had a wellness check from a vet recently?

Amazons should have a lower fat and protein diet than some species need. Pellets and veggies with some fruit and nuts. Because of the fatty liver my zon isn't allowed any fruit except one small piece of apple daily, and no peas either.

If this is an older zon, particularly if he was on a seed diet before you got him, it's possible as well he has liver issues. If so, this is the diet my bird is on:

Harrison's HP pellets, Nutriberries, walnuts, one piece of apple, veggies and some other human foods: chicken or turkey, brown rice, multi-grain breads and waffles, pasta with tomato sauce. He's allowed all the pellets, Nutriberries and veggies he wants. He also gets 2 teaspoons of mashed potatoes each day that his medication goes into (milk thistle/dandelion for his liver). Being a wild caught zon in his 30s, it's much easier for both of us for him to eat his meds in the potatoes than to towel him and force a syringe into his beak. He also tends to destroy one syringe every time he's medicated, lol! I'd go through 60 a month!

She's 8 months old currently. Just a baby. I got her from a breeder and did a full work up including bloodwork when she first got here. She is a screamer and have been working on that, lately she has been starting to over preen, feather bite/barber. My vet checked her out again and couldnt see a medical reason for it. It seems like she's only wing flipping while im holding her? I will see if my boyfriendcan tape it. She shouldnt be bored, she has a ton of toys, we play with her everyday, she gets lots of out of cage time. We e increased her foraging a LOT to try and help with the barbering..

The breeder clipped her wings prior to me getting her which I am not happy about, could she be wing flipping bc of the incoming flight feathers? She doesn't like the shower but she will bathe in a bowl. I dont think she's itchy??

Parrots

Bosley-DYH Amazon-35 August-African Brown Head- 8
    My Amazon wing flips now and again. Sometimes it's just to re-arrange his feathers. Sometimes it's "I don't want to be touched right now", Sometimes it is a feather coming in.
    It's not always a health issue, for mine it's behavioral and is of no real issue.

Parrots

Red Fronted Macaw~Holly, Hawk-Headed Parrots~ Cochise & Yuna, Black Capped Conure~Elfe, Softbills- Green Aracari~Pico, American Singer Canary~Kismet, Blue Naped Mousebird~Gryphon
    Over preening and barbering feathers is highly unusual for an 8 month old bird. She may be in pain. Do you have other birds? I would take her back and get more tests done, like for ABV.