User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Kilo the cockatoo is so fickle

Parrots

1 Alexandrine Parakeet - Clover, 2 Goffin's Cockatoos - Kilo (who now lives with my best friend but I still love him) and Lilliputs, 1 African Grey (Congo) - Poet but she thinks her name is Beautiful.

Kilo the cockatoo is so fickle

........or is it his eye site? The other night when I came home late Kilo started screaming. I made a post about that under cockatoos. The quick recap is that he jumped up on me and wanted to snuggle in my neck and get scratched on the head. The next day he was back to acting like he was afraid of me. Now last night I came in the room where they sleep for something and he came over to the side of the cage for a scratch on the head.
    Now I am thinking that maybe there is something visual about me that he doesn't like or is afraid of. Really, it could be anything. I have a white streak in my hair, maybe that's it. Or maybe he just thinks I'm ugly lol. Seriously, I really think it is something visual being as birds don't see very well at night or in the dark. What do you think?

The only thing I can suggest is to take anything off that may be different and see how he reacts! Eliminate things one by one and see if he comes for a snuggle They can be very funny and will soon let you know if there is something they don't like

Parrots

1 Alexandrine Parakeet - Clover, 2 Goffin's Cockatoos - Kilo (who now lives with my best friend but I still love him) and Lilliputs, 1 African Grey (Congo) - Poet but she thinks her name is Beautiful.
    Wendy, the only two things that are constants on me that are different from anyone else is the white streak in my hair (that will never go away because I'm not dying my hair), and a necklace that never comes off my neck. I already took the necklace off to see what happens with that. If it makes a difference then it will stay off even though it has a lot of sentimental value to me. When my oldest niece painted her nails he freaked out. He got used to it, but then again, she was his love. Like I said before she could do no wrong in his eyes. This little bird is a trip. Very opinionated.
    Last edited by 2birds; 04-30-2014 at 11:55 AM.

LOL, hopefully, in time he will adjust. He will eventually get used to you for who you are Codie is a very opinionated bird too, if he doesn't like something, or someone, then he makes no bones in letting you know. LOL.

Nobility Member

Parrots

Catalina Macaw - Harlow, Blue & Gold Macaw - Rocky, Greenwing Macaw - Ruby, Bluefront Amazon - Tequila, Hawkhead - Charlotte, 2 Blk hd Caiques - Sammy, Greta, Yellow streaked Lory - Louie, LesserSulpher 2 - Belly, Sunconure - Gingee, Yellow sided Greencheek - Disco, Goffin - Pearl, Rosebreasted 2 - Owen
    I think their also moody birds [my 4 have been]
    http://i1350.photobucket.com/albums/p779/Blancaej/Terrisignature2_zpsb1f5f78e.jpg

6. The following user likes this post:

Mare (05-01-2014)

Nobility Member

Parrots

Sassy Goffin's girl, she IS Sassy Amigo, male umbrella cockatoo Chip! The cockatiel! The sweet, sweet Jellybean!
    I notice that the Sassy Goffin's will start squawking, even after being covered and door closed for the night, IF we come in late or IF she hears voices she doesn't recognize (outside her room). Tim or I, will walk into her room, talking softly with the hall light on, just to tell her it's ok, it's ok, Sassy and give her a little rub through the bars. We tell her "night, night", again..and all is quiet after that. I think Sassy just needed some reassuring, kind of like a child waking up at night scared.
    That's how it works around here, anyway

Parrots

Well, during the day I'm the bird eating monster and at night when he can't see me that well I can touch him. I guess we'll just have to interact when all of the lights are out. LOL

9. The following user likes this post:

Mare (05-01-2014)

Nobility Member

Parrots

Sassy Goffin's girl, she IS Sassy Amigo, male umbrella cockatoo Chip! The cockatiel! The sweet, sweet Jellybean!
    How are you and Kilo doing since your niece moved out? Is he coming around to you, at all? I mean in the day light

Parrots

2 Male Catalina Macaws, Roscoe & Angel~1 Female Green Wing Macaw, Ruby Jewel~1 Female Solomon Island Eclectus, Leyla Belle~1 Female Pineapple Green Cheek Conure, Peta (R.I.P.)~1 White Capped Pionus, Sierra Sunrise~ 1 Rose Breasted Cockatoo, Dakota Nakira'Too~1 female Pineapple Green Cheek Conure, Serita Lynae, 10 Parakeets
    Lori, how long have you had Kilo, I have forgotten? If it has been less than a year it may just be that he is finally settling to you and his home. This "In the dark" relationship may be his way of coming around to you in his mind. This may be his coy way of bonding to you, they as in parrots can be fickle to be sure! LOL

I personally think you coined the title just right! I know I have no experience with Cockatoos and especially Goffins, but the sneaky little tree monkeys are all alike in some ways and will all of a sudden decide you are the one in a blink of an eye. And can fall out of love with you as quickly, say if your niece comes in to the room in the future.
    ~~My Flock~~
    *In Loving Memory Of My Sweet Little Peta Girl~~R.I.P~~Love Mom*
    ~~Gotcha'~04/20/2012~~Flew Over The Rainbow Bridge~02/28/2014~~

Parrots

I have had Kilo since Nov. of last year. The first couple of days he liked me ok and then I had to leave for the weekend. By the time I got back he was in love with Bryanna, he liked Jessica ok. He would come to Jessica but if he got excited he would bite her so she was a little afraid of him. And..... he hated me or acted like he was totally afraid of me. Jessica moved out beginning of March and Bry moved the end of March. Jessica comes over a couple of times a week and he likes her ok. Actually, he likes everyone ok. Still won't come to me except now when it's dark in the room which is weird.
    My dearest friend whom I've know for over 25 yrs and she's like a sister to me really wants a parrot along with her husband. I really was contemplating on giving them Kilo being as he has such an aversion to me but at the same time I don't want to because I really like him. So, I go back and forth on whether to give them Kilo or Lilliputs. I wonder if Kilo would be happier with someone else. I'm not totally attached to Lilliputs yet because I'm not letting myself be and he/she is friendly to me but I don't think attached, she's only been here a week and a half. Either one of them would be given plenty of attention and love. And, if it didn't work out the bird would come back to me. I'm 99.9% sure it would work out though or I wouldn't even contemplate it. My gut is saying keep Kilo but I'm not sure if I'm just being selfish. Seriously, I'm wouldn't want to be held captive with someone I didn't like.
    I don't know. Maybe I'm just putting too much human emotion into an animal.