User Tag List

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Amigo's flying free "training"

I had the same nightmare after Jack flew to a palm tree in the back woods when he was a baby - and he had JUST been clipped a week ago! (It is a mystery to us all what a palm tree might be doing in the middle of the woods in NC - they are not native here) He was just out of my reach, and he wanted to come to me but couldn't get down. I wonder if they have nightmares about losing us!

It was a show in Myrtle Beach that got me recently - Pirates Voyage. The ad said "exotic animals" and my boyfriend and I were very excited - and laughed when we saw the first ones - blue and gold macaws, of course, what respectable pirate would be without one, right! Arrrrg!!!

Anyway, they had a HUGE indoor arena for the show, and when these guys flew, you could see their joy, even from 50ft away. I was so heartsick for my birds, I wanted them to have that...and all the old guilt, how dare I take the sky away...came flooding back. Of course, they never had the sky, and I didn't take it away...but I did, they are in my keeping and their happiness is my responsibility.

But so is their safety. Jack can whistle fairly well, I think I may start recall training with an actual whistle - cause I can't whistle very loud!

I hear the dynamic duo waking up...time for breakfast, and yaaaay it is a greenhouse day, they will really enjoy that after being cooped up in their bedroom for two days!!!

2. The following user likes this post:

Mare (08-15-2013)

Nobility Member

Parrots

Sassy Goffin's girl, she IS Sassy Amigo, male umbrella cockatoo Chip! The cockatiel! The sweet, sweet Jellybean!
    Jacksmom, don't ever feel bad for giving your birds the best life you are able to give, it sounds like yours have a wonderful one! I do know the feeling of wanting to give them something more, though , something more natural to a bird.

The call I use on Amigo is the call he uses to call me, if that makes sense. I imitate, to the best of my ability, his call. People that don't know us and are visiting, think I've gone mad! This call is a very distinct 'where are you?, contact call. He has many other noises that he makes but there is no other like this one. This is the one I use to rein him in

That sounds a lot easier - but dang, I don't want to imitate the one Paris gives and I CAN'T imitate the one Jack uses. I have been going even further than that - because unlike Amigo they aren't free, and nowhere near prepared to be. This is just playing around with hopefully the beginning of recall training for even just flying in the greenhouse - and not only am I not repeating their noise, but I picked one they both make and am trying to get them to use that.

Not really setting them up for the best success, like what you did for Amigo - and don't you be embarrassed a bit about your weird bird call, I bet they have different things to say when he comes flying to you! But, I am going to give it a whirl - we started today - I will let you know how it goes! Thank you for your kind words about their life - nice to hear when they have both been so badly behaved today!!!

5. The following user likes this post:

Mare (08-16-2013)

Nobility Member

Parrots

Sassy Goffin's girl, she IS Sassy Amigo, male umbrella cockatoo Chip! The cockatiel! The sweet, sweet Jellybean!
    I think that's a really good idea, on your part, to give them YOUR sound. This is the start of contact call. I have never done clicker training but I've heard many people have had great success with it. In my mind, if your bird knows and loves you enough to come when you call, without being bribed, you've got a better chance of not losing your bird

7. The following user likes this post:

Lady (08-14-2016)