User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hello Everyone ^.^

Hello Everyone ^.^

Hi everyone!,

New to the boards, and pretty green when it comes to birds, but I'm hoping this place will get me set properly to welcome a bird into the family in the coming months.... I'm no stranger to animals though... Always been an animal lover, and currently have 3 dogs a great dane, a pomeranian and a yorkie, and 6 cats. All of them were rescues, and all of them are so so special and dear to me. I've also owned ferrets, hedgehogs and sugar gliders. I am a horse trainer by trade and consider myself well versed in dog and feline behaviour as well. Worked for years in rescue, and in an animal shelter and have seen and cared for all kinds of animals. Birds have always been of interest to me, I just never had the opportunity to care 24/7 for one. Spent a lot of time with with a cockatoo named Prince in the shelter where I worked, he was an education bird, and I thoroughly enjoyed my time caring for and loving on him. My experience is limited though, and so I am eager to learn all I can before deciding on what type of bird we welcome into the fold here in our home.

I'm excited to get to know some of you

Ax

2. The following 2 users like this post:

Debra (01-05-2014), Turquoise (01-07-2014)

Hello and . Thank you for joining us.

What type of bird did you have in mind?

If you do decide on one eventually, just be very careful to keep your Cats and Dogs totally separate from your bird. We have seen some great tragedies just lately on the forum

We will all be happy to answer any questions you may have Fire away

Thank you Honesty

Yes, the plan is to keep them seperated. I dont know if you are familiar with sugar gliders, but they are similar to flying squirrels (so very fragile in the presence of cats/dogs) So we would devise a plan for that for sure. I try and be vigilant in that way

I am thinking parrotlet, budgie or cockatiel. Just something small, really. Still reading.

5. The following user likes this post:

Honesty (01-05-2014)

Ah, they are all good choices I have 2 budgies, as well as my Amazon. The budgies tend to do their own thing and are quite happy playing together . They don't like to come out too much.

We have quite a few Cockatiel owners here. They are lovely birds and love attention

No, I have never heard of a sugar glider!

Hello and welcome! You've come to a good place to get information on a new feathered kid for your family. Your choices in what you are looking at are excellent. I have budgies and tiels myself. I love them all! Ask away, if one of us can't give you an answer, someone else will have one.

Nobility Member

Parrots

Lineated Parakeet named Kobe (M) and (F) named Tango Maine Coon Kitty named Christine
    Happy you joined us here. We have people who love birds and other animals from all over the globe. As part of your learning experience please take a moment of your time to read the new sticky posted today called ANNOUNCEMENT CONCERNING . It is about owning multiple pets along with birds. Do you have a special species of bird in mind?

9. The following user likes this post:

Honesty (01-05-2014)

Thanks ladies!

And yes, I did read that. As someone intimately familiar with dog and cat behaviour, I will be taking every precaution to ensure the safety and comfort for everyone in the house. Feathered included

I'm still reading, reading reading, but I think I will end up with a budgie, parrotlet, cockatiel or mayyyyybe even a dove. Not sure yet. Just doing lots of reading right now. Im kind of a planner and so I like to be well versed in what I am getting into before getting into it

I hope to tap the wealth of knowledge here to help me to decide

11. The following user likes this post:

spiritbird (01-06-2014)

Parrots

Quincy CAG Hatched 03/2000 Gotcha @ 3 months old ~ Savannah GW Macaw Hatched 06/1993 Gotcha 4/2013 ~ Coqui B&G Macaw Hatched 09/2003 Gotcha 10/2013 ~ Sidney Blue Crown Conure Gotcha Day 06/2015 Hatch Date Guess 06/2010.
    Hello & Welcome! I've always loved great Danes but I've never owned one. Would love to see pics of your critters.

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Tapatalk 2

"Nothing that matters comes easy, and nothing easy ever really matters." ~ Lyrics From Ordinary Girl By Rick Springfield

Parrots

Rosie, our Greenwing Macaw (Hatchday 4/1/12)
    Hi and welcome to the forum!

You have experience with lots of different animals! . You must have some very interesting stories. I am looking to reading about them.

I don't have much info on the smaller guys. We have one bird, a GW named Rosie. She has decided she is the queen and there will be no other feathered family members. There are lots of members who will have tons of great info for you, so ask away!
    Rosie & Kendra

Thanks ladies! I will attach a few pics of my babies if I can find some. LOL Ive got lots of stories about all kinds of experiences with animals, some of the heartwarming and wonderful, and some not so great... We surprisingly (to me) had a LOT of doves/pigeons, chickens and turkeys come through the shelter that had been pets... Shelters are so poorly equipped for birds though in general, but thankfully we always found somewhere for them to go. The most memorable bird story I have was the yellow headed amazon that was left in a cat crate outside of our shelter in sub zero temps. I was the first to arrive that day and happily he couldnt have been there long, but I (unknowingly at the time as a newb) reached in and he thankfully came to me easily. He was weak and cold, and the exotic vet was not immediately available.. The only quick solution I could think of was to (gently) stuff him down my shirt. He stayed there a good hour mumbling away to me while I went about my cleaning in the adoption areas. He let me know he was warm enough and done cuddling by nipping on my.. Ahem.. I wasnt long pulling him out and getting him set up in a cage. Im just happy to have kept that particular piece of flesh. He was known as Nipper (hehe) from then on, and within a few weeks had a perfect check up found a wonderful parrot experienced forever home.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	XB2.jpg 
Views:	7 
Size:	90.3 KB 
ID:	1750Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Picture 025.jpg 
Views:	6 
Size:	90.6 KB 
ID:	1751Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_0897.jpg 
Size:	94.0 KB 
ID:	1752Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Satchmo.jpg 
Size:	52.0 KB 
ID:	1753Click image for larger version. 

Name:	alicewickett.jpg 
Size:	70.4 KB 
ID:	1754

So my dane and my oldest a couple years ago... My yorkie... My pom and the yorkie, my persian, my pom and our silver tabby blind handicapped cat Alice..

I cant add more pics. LOL
    Last edited by HisAngel; 01-06-2014 at 07:06 PM.

15. The following user likes this post:

Debra (01-06-2014)