User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Great Waiting Game

Parrots

Umbrella cockatoo,Goffins Cockatoo, 2 red lored amazons, blue fronted amazon, 3 black capped conures, 4 green cheek conures, 16+/- american and english budgies and babies (linneolated parakeets, parrotlets, crimson bellied conures, budgies, green cheek conures at any given time)

The Great Waiting Game

I sent the DNA samples out for the two cinnamon green cheeks at the beginning of the week, it's only wednesday and I just don't want to wait any longer! I normally know DNA by the time they are about four and a half weeks old but I had to send out a sample for a friend of mine and he took his good ol' time getting it to me. I wanted to wait and send them all together so I could save on the postage and be able to charge it all at the same time. I'm really hoping to find out on friday what their sexes are but I think that may be wishful thinking, I'm thinking they will probably get the sample friday or saturday, in which case I should find out on monday. I'm hoping it's monday at the latest, I can't take the suspense any longer!
    Feel Free to Friend me on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/feathersfirstaviary

2. The following user likes this post:

Debra (10-31-2013)

Its awful waiting for a DNA result to come back. I was told Codie was a female, but as the months went on I could see that he had the aggression of a Male Zon, so I decided to have him DNA tested. My instincts were right and he is in fact Male. The results only took 5 days, but it seemed like forever.

Nobility Member

Parrots

Lineated Parakeet named Kobe (M) and (F) named Tango Maine Coon Kitty named Christine
    There is a lot of waiting in the bird world. Teaches us patience.

Parrots

Umbrella cockatoo,Goffins Cockatoo, 2 red lored amazons, blue fronted amazon, 3 black capped conures, 4 green cheek conures, 16+/- american and english budgies and babies (linneolated parakeets, parrotlets, crimson bellied conures, budgies, green cheek conures at any given time)
    As soon as they get the samples I always have the results back the next business day, its the darn post office that takes nearly a week to get the samples from pa to florida! I love avian biotech though, they are a fantastic company to work with. Even when I was sending avairy swabs for disease testing a few months back they were more than happy to sit on the phone and give me their insight into the different avian diseases we must worry about as parronts.

Parrots

Yay! I just got the email from AB saying they got my samples today! So hopefully we'll know by tomorrow what they really are. I've been guessing that the day older baby is a boy and the younger is a girl but who knows. Can't wait to find out

Nobility Member

Parrots

Lineated Parakeet named Kobe (M) and (F) named Tango Maine Coon Kitty named Christine
    Hoping you are right!

Parrots

I'm actually hoping they are both boys because I have one deposit from someone waiting for a male and another woman coming to meet them this week that is also hoping for a male, but said she wouldn't mind a female. As long as there is at least one boy I'll be happy but two would be ideal.

9. The following user likes this post:

Honesty (10-31-2013)

Nobility Member

Parrots

Catalina Macaw - Harlow, Blue & Gold Macaw - Rocky, Greenwing Macaw - Ruby, Bluefront Amazon - Tequila, Hawkhead - Charlotte, 2 Blk hd Caiques - Sammy, Greta, Yellow streaked Lory - Louie, LesserSulpher 2 - Belly, Sunconure - Gingee, Yellow sided Greencheek - Disco, Goffin - Pearl, Rosebreasted 2 - Owen
    Hi Sara, Being a breeder do you ever have any tricks in knowing the sexes? I know one once told me [Sun conures ] the males heads are blockier and the females heads are more narrow. my sun ended up having a narrower head [and found out she was female ] My Rb2 breeder [I said if she had a male it would be great]. She thought she did and she was right !![I didn't hear her way though].I think its fun to hear about peoples thoughts, who are around birds a lot.
    http://i1350.photobucket.com/albums/p779/Blancaej/Terrisignature2_zpsb1f5f78e.jpg

Parrots

With green cheeks males tend to have flatter heads on top whereas females will usually have a rounder head but that seems to be easier to tell in mature birds if you ask me. With crimson belly babies the girls are the ones that usually like to play on their backs and sometimes even sleep that way(got a funny story about that one lol). I'm really not sure if its the same with green cheeks but that's why I'm guessing the younger is a female, she will roll herself onto her back to play, although I am hoping I'm wrong on that one. There are always ones that throw you a curve ball and that's why I always just dna test to be sure my other pair of green cheeks are really cool because they are sex linked mutations so I will never have to dna any of their babies

12. The following user likes this post:

Pinkbirdy (11-01-2013)

Parrots

Quincy CAG Hatched 03/2000 Gotcha @ 3 months old ~ Savannah GW Macaw Hatched 06/1993 Gotcha 4/2013 ~ Coqui B&G Macaw Hatched 09/2003 Gotcha 10/2013 ~ Sidney Blue Crown Conure Gotcha Day 06/2015 Hatch Date Guess 06/2010.
    Got your results yet?

"Nothing that matters comes easy, and nothing easy ever really matters." ~ Lyrics From Ordinary Girl By Rick Springfield