User Tag List

Page 1 of 16 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Amigo had a seizure

Nobility Member

Parrots

Sassy Goffin's girl, she IS Sassy Amigo, male umbrella cockatoo Chip! The cockatiel! The sweet, sweet Jellybean!

Amigo had a seizure

Ok, I just wrote out all the details about this episode but I guess I was too slow so I couldn't post without having to sign in again. By this time I couldn't find what I was going to post, ugh..

Anyways, has anyone had their parrot have a seizure?

Parrots

Quincy CAG Hatched 03/2000 Gotcha @ 3 months old ~ Savannah GW Macaw Hatched 06/1993 Gotcha 4/2013 ~ Coqui B&G Macaw Hatched 09/2003 Gotcha 10/2013 ~ Sidney Blue Crown Conure Gotcha Day 06/2015 Hatch Date Guess 06/2010.
    Oh, no is he ok? I'm sorry but I've never experience that with my birds. Sending hugs your way.

My moms dog used to have seizures all through her life. She was on medication for it.

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Tapatalk 2

"Nothing that matters comes easy, and nothing easy ever really matters." ~ Lyrics From Ordinary Girl By Rick Springfield

Nobility Member

Parrots

Sassy Goffin's girl, she IS Sassy Amigo, male umbrella cockatoo Chip! The cockatiel! The sweet, sweet Jellybean!
    I'm truly devastated and I know I can't dilly-dally in writing what I feel so I will just say that he will be going to the vet on Monday because I do not trust any of these emergency/not certified avian vets, at the moment.

Parrots

TAG: Spirit, Senegal: Damon, Blue & Gold: Paris, Parrotlet: Opal, CAG :Boomer, Quaker: Widget and at a foster parents RLA: Danny. :D
    Was he outside at the time? He OK?

http://www.vcahospitals.com/main/pet...s-in-birds/929
    Last edited by ShellyBorg; 09-14-2013 at 11:46 PM.
    “She was not quite what you would call refined. She was not quite what you would call unrefined. She was the kind of person that keeps a parrot.” ― Mark Twain

Parrots

eclectus x 4, cockatiels x4, lories x2, budgies x26 and babies all year round of all my birds
    have you checked him for ticks and paralyses, im not even sure if you get them out there, but thats the first thing i would be checking for, i hope all is ok, if he has a tick he needs to go straight away.

Nobility Member

Parrots

Thanks Blanca, he is ok, now. I left yesterday with my daughter, to drop my son at San Fran airport for a 12:45am flight. We got a room and at 6:30am this morn I get a call from hubby, come home, NOW! Amigo is having epileptic fits at the bottom of his cage, this has never happened before! From Amigo's top perch to the bottom of his cage is at least five feet. I don't know if he fell asleep and fell?, that's never happened before. I called my avian vet on the four hour drive home , to be sure I could have someone there when I made the one hour drive out to them.

I was given a number for PetER and they didn't have an avian vet on staff. They gave me a number to another vet that was open on Saturdays, who had an avian vet. This office tech's advice was...monitor him and call your vet on Monday, if he has another seizure then go to emergency. To tell the truth, I think I know more about my bird than anyone else, at the moment. I'm going to keep him comfortable and am trying to get some water into him. He hasn't eaten anything and when I feel he's a bit stronger I'll syringe him, if needed. What do you think? I'm at a loss because I don't trust anyone else, right now.

Nobility Member

Parrots

He has no ticks on him, Steve, I checked. He's resting, comfortably on the bed and has been napping. This is understandable for what he's been through but so NOT Amigo! My poor bubbers..he would be outside right now raising hell, but he isn't. He's resting on the bed.

Parrots

TAG: Spirit, Senegal: Damon, Blue & Gold: Paris, Parrotlet: Opal, CAG :Boomer, Quaker: Widget and at a foster parents RLA: Danny. :D
    Will he take grapes or other really wet yummy food? That may be easier then syringe right now if he will. Keep him calm and in a darker area. Place a thick blanket on the bottom of his cage if he falls again. My prayers are with you!
    “She was not quite what you would call refined. She was not quite what you would call unrefined. She was the kind of person that keeps a parrot.” ― Mark Twain

Nobility Member

Parrots

Thanks Shelly, he's exhausted and won't take anything. I've been dripping water into his beak with my fingers. The vet tech recommended the syringe if he's not eating by tomorrow. I'm pretty disgusted right now, at the concern of our emergency service. Amigo is standing on his two feet, toes pointing the right way, so I'm going to sleep in the same room as him to make sure no un-noticed seizures happen.

10. The following user likes this post:

ShellyBorg (09-15-2013)

Parrots

Quincy CAG Hatched 03/2000 Gotcha @ 3 months old ~ Savannah GW Macaw Hatched 06/1993 Gotcha 4/2013 ~ Coqui B&G Macaw Hatched 09/2003 Gotcha 10/2013 ~ Sidney Blue Crown Conure Gotcha Day 06/2015 Hatch Date Guess 06/2010.
    Oh Mare, I am so sorry you and Amigo are going through this.

He will be in my thought and prayers. Monday seems so far away. Keep us posted.

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Tapatalk 2

"Nothing that matters comes easy, and nothing easy ever really matters." ~ Lyrics From Ordinary Girl By Rick Springfield