User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: My Birdy Bread Recipe

Parrots

Red Fronted Macaw~Holly, Hawk-Headed Parrots~ Cochise & Yuna, Black Capped Conure~Elfe, Softbills- Green Aracari~Pico, American Singer Canary~Kismet, Blue Naped Mousebird~Gryphon
    The reason I made this recipe as it is, with good healthy flours and fresh vegetables that they normally do not like, was to expand the healthy vitamins and ingredients they get. While I have used frozen peas, I like to add more fresh vegetables and organic items. I am trying to stay away from "quick fix" breads, using mixes which have ingredients in them that aren't good for us, let alone our birds. I did see you mentioned Coconut water is also high in sodium, the one I use is really low, and I do not use much. I have as mentioned above used an organic juice, which is also low in sugar and sodium. We have to look at labels as to how much-per cup, per tblspn? To get the idea of how much they would actually be ingesting in two little squares of bread.
    Last edited by keepsmiling; 05-09-2013 at 04:06 PM.
    keep smiling

Akita/lab~Heartly, Netherlands Dwarf Bunny~Elliot, Fancy Goldfish & Loaches

2. The following user likes this post:

roxynoodle (05-09-2013)

Parrots

Nanday Conure (Rowdy), YCA (Pete) and CAG (Miss Merlin)
    One of the problems with baby food is that it tends to be high in iron. I do admit to using it though in order to get some extra vitamin A into my BCC, who never ate a single orange thing in her life, lol! However, the birdy bread wasn't something I gave her everyday either. Another way I fooled her was to grate carrots up into very thin, tiny pieces and put them into spaghetti sauce as she loved her pasta. I do that to Merlin as well, who also isn't a big fan of carrots. However I've learned Merlin LOVES sweet potatoes so I'm no longer worried about her vitamin A consumption. She eats sweet potatoes like they are candy.

4. The following user likes this post:

keepsmiling (05-09-2013)

Parrots

Congo African Grey Senagal Parakeet
    i meant baking powder.

do you have a link to the study you mentioned about ground up egg shells causing injury? i have never heard of this.

baby food has a lot of questionable ingredients? hummm thats news to me. the labels i look at says the veggie and water. only two ingredients like this one.

Parrots

Red Fronted Macaw~Holly, Hawk-Headed Parrots~ Cochise & Yuna, Black Capped Conure~Elfe, Softbills- Green Aracari~Pico, American Singer Canary~Kismet, Blue Naped Mousebird~Gryphon
    That baby food looks fine! The person who reported that there were injuries due to eggshells is on another forum, and FB, I can contact her and see if she can direct me to where it is. She is old school, and no nonsense, so I trust what she says. Besides, it makes sense... eggshells just broken are sharp. Make sure your baking powder is aluminum and sodium free. It's sometimes a little more difficult to find. If you have to, using no baking powder is ok, the bread is just heavier.Many people do not include it.
    Last edited by keepsmiling; 05-09-2013 at 06:50 PM.
    keep smiling

Akita/lab~Heartly, Netherlands Dwarf Bunny~Elliot, Fancy Goldfish & Loaches

Parrots

Nanday Conure (Rowdy), YCA (Pete) and CAG (Miss Merlin)
    That would be fine as for baby food; natural ingredients, low in iron. I would use that myself.