User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Macaw Cookies

Macaw Cookies

Made some bird cookies last night, thought I would share! I didn't measure much, lol, so bear with me!

1 box jiffy cornmuffin mix
    Maybe five or six cups of small pellet
    Maybe five or six tablespoons honey
    Four eggs, with shell

Just sort of mixed all this up in a big bowl, let it soak about 15 minutes, whipped out my cookie scoop - baked at 350 for 25 minutes and got this!

I inserted popsicle sticks into some, I have done this before...kinda like cake/cookie pops.

Please keep in mind - this is totally junk food - a treat, not meant as a part of a balanced diet, lol...more like candy. These will be a great snack to perk them up when they get the afternoon grumpies in the greenhouse.

2. The following 6 users like this post:

Blancaej (08-16-2013), headfeathermistress (08-17-2013), Honesty (08-14-2013), Pinkbirdy (08-15-2013), plax (08-14-2013), Turquoise (08-17-2013)

Nobility Member

Parrots

Lineated Parakeet named Kobe (M) and (F) named Tango Maine Coon Kitty named Christine
    What a treat for the larger birds!

Parrots

TAG: Spirit, Senegal: Damon, Blue & Gold: Paris, Parrotlet: Opal, CAG :Boomer, Quaker: Widget and at a foster parents RLA: Danny. :D
    That sounds great! I may try something like this in mini cupcake pans for my guys.
    “She was not quite what you would call refined. She was not quite what you would call unrefined. She was the kind of person that keeps a parrot.” ― Mark Twain

Parrots

eclectus x 4, cockatiels x4, lories x2, budgies x26 and babies all year round of all my birds
    thats a must, i think i may be cooking today. they look yum

They look great Grace

Nobility Member

Parrots

Catalina Macaw - Harlow, Blue & Gold Macaw - Rocky, Greenwing Macaw - Ruby, Bluefront Amazon - Tequila, Hawkhead - Charlotte, 2 Blk hd Caiques - Sammy, Greta, Yellow streaked Lory - Louie, LesserSulpher 2 - Belly, Sunconure - Gingee, Yellow sided Greencheek - Disco, Goffin - Pearl, Rosebreasted 2 - Owen
    The popcicle sticks are a great idea
    http://i1350.photobucket.com/albums/p779/Blancaej/Terrisignature2_zpsb1f5f78e.jpg

Nobility Member

Parrots

Sassy Goffin's girl, she IS Sassy Amigo, male umbrella cockatoo Chip! The cockatiel! The sweet, sweet Jellybean!
    The Popsicle sticks DO look like a great idea! I'm def gonna try this, I'm always looking for something more that Amigo will eat, (Sassy loves EVERYTHING), and then he will have a treat when it's gone, the stick!! Yay!

You know, I almost named this thread "Large Hookbill Cookies", but then I thought I would sound like a bag of bird seed, lol!!!

I was thinking as I was making them how would I do it if I had, say, a conure, or something. I am thinking maybe just take the tip of a spoon rather than the cookie scoop, and scoop out just a tiny bit. The kind of pellet I used is very small - I wish I knew what it was, but I have no idea...I have had it in the freezer since I got Paris, it was the food she came with. :screwy:

They stick together AMAZINGLY well, the honey and egg really does its job. The flat popsicle sticks are very, very, cheap...I keep them on hand to make bird toys with, lol. However, while making these I wished I had ROUND sticks...these kept wanting to split the cookie in half when I stuck them in.

Thank you, everyone - I was so surprised and pleased to see how many of you enjoyed my spur-of-the-moment concoction! It was a labor of guilt, lol...they missed having their regular gourmet meals yesterday because I didn't start the two day process of making their food soon enough and they ran out for a day, had to deal with only a FEW pieces of a normally much wider selection in their bowls! The very idea, right!!!

Parrots

eclectus x 4, cockatiels x4, lories x2, budgies x26 and babies all year round of all my birds
    yes the Popsicle stick would be the first to go with my birds lol

It does make a great toy!