User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Help For Biting

Parrots

2 Male Catalina Macaws, Roscoe & Angel~1 Female Green Wing Macaw, Ruby Jewel~1 Female Solomon Island Eclectus, Leyla Belle~1 Female Pineapple Green Cheek Conure, Peta (R.I.P.)~1 White Capped Pionus, Sierra Sunrise~ 1 Rose Breasted Cockatoo, Dakota Nakira'Too~1 female Pineapple Green Cheek Conure, Serita Lynae, 10 Parakeets
    Welcome to the forum Luthien. It's good to see you over here and to hear that Phoenix is doing really well.

It does sound like he is wanting to let you know he loves you if he is being gentle. My Roscoe is almost 2 now & he can be impish at times. He does like to nip my arm when I have him out when he is in the mood to, but he is not really being mean about it. He is just trying to be playful & doesn't realize he hurts when he does it.

They do go through what we like to call the terrible twos like human children go through where they think they are independent of their parents, namely us and want to do things their own way. Then the next instant they are poofing their head feathers & wanting to be cuddled like the baby bird they really still are. Roscoe goes through this a lot right now, but not every day.

Keep us informed as to how it is going and if you are still having issues. And more photos are in order. We are having a photo contest this month & you still have time to enter.
    ~~My Flock~~
    *In Loving Memory Of My Sweet Little Peta Girl~~R.I.P~~Love Mom*
    ~~Gotcha'~04/20/2012~~Flew Over The Rainbow Bridge~02/28/2014~~

Parrots

Scarlet Macaw
    Aw thank you guys for the warm welcome!

I figured that the "nibbling" part was just normal Macaw behavior I'm just trying to figure out how to stop the "excited nipping" that he does once in awhile. He'll nibble and everything but then when I go to stop him (example: Put him down or back in his cage) he tends to "nip" a little harder which borders on pain. I know he just doesn't want me to leave him which I think is so precious!! But I can't be with him 25/7 LOL What advice do you guys have to make the parting sequence a little easier and less painful on us?

Parrots

TAG: Spirit, Senegal: Damon, Blue & Gold: Paris, Parrotlet: Opal, CAG :Boomer, Quaker: Widget and at a foster parents RLA: Danny. :D
    Have a treat on hand. When you go to put him back in the cage hand the food to him, then while beak is full put him down on a perch. I have had to do this with a couple of mine. A bucket of Lafber's Nuti Berries now lives on the top of one of the cages.

Oh and welcome to the group!
    “She was not quite what you would call refined. She was not quite what you would call unrefined. She was the kind of person that keeps a parrot.” ― Mark Twain

4. The following user likes this post:

Blancaej (07-12-2013)

Parrots

Scarlet Macaw
    Thanks for the tip ShellyBorg! I will try that next time.

Other then fruit what is your parrot's favorite treats guys?? I want to try him with several to see which he likes best!

Parrots

Quincy CAG Hatched 03/2000 Gotcha @ 3 months old ~ Savannah GW Macaw Hatched 06/1993 Gotcha 4/2013 ~ Coqui B&G Macaw Hatched 09/2003 Gotcha 10/2013 ~ Sidney Blue Crown Conure Gotcha Day 06/2015 Hatch Date Guess 06/2010.
    My Quincy is a biter and when I know he is a "mood" I always give him a treat when I put him in his cage to avoid a bite. It works very well!

"Nothing that matters comes easy, and nothing easy ever really matters." ~ Lyrics From Ordinary Girl By Rick Springfield

Administrator

Parrots

Blue & Gold Macaw "Jack" | Military Macaw "Maynard" - RIP | Hyacinth Macaw "Zaffer" - RIP | Green-wing Macaw "Salsa" | Nanday Conure "Bozley"
    Quote Originally Posted by Luthien View Post
    Other then fruit what is your parrot's favorite treats guys??
    Salsa's is by far air-popped popcorn (with nothing on it). He'll move the Universe to get a kernel!

8. The following user likes this post:

Blancaej (07-14-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by plax View Post
    Salsa's is by far air-popped popcorn (with nothing on it). He'll move the Universe to get a kernel!
    One of my quakers starts dancing when she hears popcorn popping. That's the only time she doesn't try to bite my hubby when he gets near her cage. She's always too busy making her way to her bowl. lol

10. The following 2 users like this post:

Luthien (07-12-2013), plax (07-12-2013)

Parrots

Scarlet Macaw
    Yup Phoenix will all but jump through hoops for popcorn and kiwi he loves them! And I use grapes as a treat

Nobility Member

Parrots

Catalina Macaw - Harlow, Blue & Gold Macaw - Rocky, Greenwing Macaw - Ruby, Bluefront Amazon - Tequila, Hawkhead - Charlotte, 2 Blk hd Caiques - Sammy, Greta, Yellow streaked Lory - Louie, LesserSulpher 2 - Belly, Sunconure - Gingee, Yellow sided Greencheek - Disco, Goffin - Pearl, Rosebreasted 2 - Owen
    Phoenix is Beautiful !!!! Ive found with my younger birds [its almost like pent up energy ,and their excited].Its what the nips sometimes mean . Try when you take him out putting him on a playstand first . With something to keep him busy . Then go see him . If his still real nippy keep your interaction short [slow your energy say Gentle] Then increase your time as things get better. Gush over him ,treat him like a celebrity [he wont be able to not want to be with you] Good luck.
    http://i1350.photobucket.com/albums/p779/Blancaej/Terrisignature2_zpsb1f5f78e.jpg

Parrots

Kylo... (M) Pineapple Conure, Skittles... (F) Turquiose Pineapple Conure, Bandit... (M) Violet Green Cheek Conure
    Jinx picked up the biting behaviour i tried loads of methods to get him to stop then i found that ignoring him worked if he stared to bite i placed him on his perch told him no and ignored him for 5 to 20 seconds then i would turn back to him ask him if he wanted to step up if he did without biting he got a treat and a head scratch now me and him have this communication where he let's me know by raising his foot when i ask him if he want's to step up if he don't want to he let's me know by turning away this way it has kept me and him happy and me injury free for ages now.