User Tag List

Thread: self mutilation

Parrots

eclectus x 4, cockatiels x4, lories x2, budgies x26 and babies all year round of all my birds

self mutilation

i have an English show budgie that since he stopped being shown, became a self mutilator chewing his wings off, has not flown in a year, well today while just going over all my birds i found, he has a couple of abscesses at the point where he has chewed right down, rang the vet, the bird vet is not on until tomorrow and the other vet will not touch birds,not happy about the cost, $85 plus cost of meds, so around $140 for a $20 bird, boy my birds are lucky i love every one of them the same no matter what they cost me, so booked in for tomorrow lets hope its not to late, will update as i get results.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	birds 2 043.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	85.3 KB 
ID:	1007

Nobility Member

Parrots

Catalina Macaw - Harlow, Blue & Gold Macaw - Rocky, Greenwing Macaw - Ruby, Bluefront Amazon - Tequila, Hawkhead - Charlotte, 2 Blk hd Caiques - Sammy, Greta, Yellow streaked Lory - Louie, LesserSulpher 2 - Belly, Sunconure - Gingee, Yellow sided Greencheek - Disco, Goffin - Pearl, Rosebreasted 2 - Owen
    Poor Guy ,Do you think he misses the attention from being shown ? Hope he ok

Parrots

B and G: Sparky, Red Fronted macaw: Jax, RBC: Pretty
    Poor fellow.

Parrots

eclectus x 4, cockatiels x4, lories x2, budgies x26 and babies all year round of all my birds
    could be , when ever i handle him hes always rubbing up wanting his feathers all fluffed up, loves baths and the blow dryer,i didn't show him, other wise id still be doing it, but i dont have the time unfortunately. but he is one of my budgies i have a nice bond with and he is so beautiful.

5. The following user likes this post:

Pinkbirdy (07-09-2013)

Parrots

3 Alexandrines Oxy, hatched August 2012 Bruno, hatched August 2011 Prince, hatched August 2009
    awwww poor birdie.... your such a good birdie daddy

He is beautiful! I'm sorry he's mutilating. Let us know what the vet says about him.

Nobility Member

Parrots

Lineated Parakeet named Kobe (M) and (F) named Tango Maine Coon Kitty named Christine
    Sending good wishes your way. Do you have a photo of him?

Parrots

yes in the first post

Parrots

2 Male Catalina Macaws, Roscoe & Angel~1 Female Green Wing Macaw, Ruby Jewel~1 Female Solomon Island Eclectus, Leyla Belle~1 Female Pineapple Green Cheek Conure, Peta (R.I.P.)~1 White Capped Pionus, Sierra Sunrise~ 1 Rose Breasted Cockatoo, Dakota Nakira'Too~1 female Pineapple Green Cheek Conure, Serita Lynae, 10 Parakeets
    That is sad that he is going to that extreme. I don't hear of budgies self mutilating as often as the larger parrots. I'm sure it must happen more than folks tell about tho'. I never had one to do this, but I never had any of my parrots to pluck or self mutilate. It is something I hope my birds never begin and I know it can happen for many reasons virtually overnight sometimes.
    ~~My Flock~~
    *In Loving Memory Of My Sweet Little Peta Girl~~R.I.P~~Love Mom*
    ~~Gotcha'~04/20/2012~~Flew Over The Rainbow Bridge~02/28/2014~~

Parrots

Quincy CAG Hatched 03/2000 Gotcha @ 3 months old ~ Savannah GW Macaw Hatched 06/1993 Gotcha 4/2013 ~ Coqui B&G Macaw Hatched 09/2003 Gotcha 10/2013 ~ Sidney Blue Crown Conure Gotcha Day 06/2015 Hatch Date Guess 06/2010.
    Have you found out anything at the vet yet? Hope she is doing better.

"Nothing that matters comes easy, and nothing easy ever really matters." ~ Lyrics From Ordinary Girl By Rick Springfield