User Tag List

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Foraging ideas!

Parrots

Green Quaker- Cooper

Foraging ideas!

just starting this thread to maybe help people get ideas to help their bird start foraging. or just give you new ideas. so just post some of the things you do to give your birds good foraging opertunities.

one of mine that cooper LOVES is really simple. it is a balsa wood block, about 2inx2ixx5in with holes drilled in it. just stuff nuts or dried fruit(or any other food that wont go bad) into the hole. drill an eye hook into the top and hang. watch your fid destroy. you can also easily change the size of the block or type of wood. cooper just likes soft wood and somewhat smaller toys so that fits him well.

after a little while ill get some of my other ideas on here.

2. The following 5 users like this post:

aliray (06-13-2013), headfeathermistress (07-17-2013), Honesty (06-13-2013), Macawfancy (07-18-2013), Turquoise (06-13-2013)

Parrots

Quincy CAG Hatched 03/2000 Gotcha @ 3 months old ~ Savannah GW Macaw Hatched 06/1993 Gotcha 4/2013 ~ Coqui B&G Macaw Hatched 09/2003 Gotcha 10/2013 ~ Sidney Blue Crown Conure Gotcha Day 06/2015 Hatch Date Guess 06/2010.
    Great Idea Kenny! I've also seen where you can do a foraging tube with a pvc pipe. Drill wholes and stuff the pipe with goodies. Then hang from an eye hook. I definately want to try to do more foraging stuff with my guys. So I'm hoping to use your idea and pvc to have some different options!

"Nothing that matters comes easy, and nothing easy ever really matters." ~ Lyrics From Ordinary Girl By Rick Springfield

4. The following user likes this post:

Turquoise (06-13-2013)

Parrots

Green Quaker- Cooper
    Quote Originally Posted by Blancaej View Post
    Great Idea Kenny! I've also seen where you can do a foraging tube with a pvc pipe. Drill wholes and stuff the pipe with goodies. Then hang from an eye hook. I definately want to try to do more foraging stuff with my guys. So I'm hoping to use your idea and pvc to have some different options!
    yeah I have also seen the foraging tubes with pvc pipes. they look like a great idea. maybe ill do one this weekend and post a pic(if I can figure out how haha). I don't make a ton of toys, but 75% of my foraging ones I made. it seems to be hard to find foraging toys for smaller birds(for me a quaker). most of the foraging toys I see are to big for cooper. so I gota be creative

also, another toy cooper likes it I get about 10-20 straws(you gota get big ones like from McDonalds) and zip strip them tightly in the center. then you put seeds or pellets or some other treat in the straws. to make it even more difficult zip strip the ends of the straws to make sure the food doesn't fall out and they have to tear through the straws instead of just pulling them out.

6. The following 3 users like this post:

Blancaej (06-12-2013), Pinkbirdy (06-13-2013), Turquoise (06-13-2013)

Parrots

Quincy CAG Hatched 03/2000 Gotcha @ 3 months old ~ Savannah GW Macaw Hatched 06/1993 Gotcha 4/2013 ~ Coqui B&G Macaw Hatched 09/2003 Gotcha 10/2013 ~ Sidney Blue Crown Conure Gotcha Day 06/2015 Hatch Date Guess 06/2010.
    Great idea with straws!

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Tapatalk 2

"Nothing that matters comes easy, and nothing easy ever really matters." ~ Lyrics From Ordinary Girl By Rick Springfield

Parrots

Green Quaker- Cooper
    Quote Originally Posted by Blancaej View Post
    Great idea with straws!

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Tapatalk 2
    thanks! more ideas coming tomorrow! when I make the foraging tube ill post a pic! that reminds me, when you share your ideas, post pics!!!!!!!!

Parrots

For sure! I just need to get to making some! LOL But you are right, we should post pics as we make our foraging toys!

Great idea Kenny.

Parrots

2 Male Catalina Macaws, Roscoe & Angel~1 Female Green Wing Macaw, Ruby Jewel~1 Female Solomon Island Eclectus, Leyla Belle~1 Female Pineapple Green Cheek Conure, Peta (R.I.P.)~1 White Capped Pionus, Sierra Sunrise~ 1 Rose Breasted Cockatoo, Dakota Nakira'Too~1 female Pineapple Green Cheek Conure, Serita Lynae, 10 Parakeets
    Yes Kenny, those are awesome ideas. I really like the straw idea. Super simple & very inexpensive.
    ~~My Flock~~
    *In Loving Memory Of My Sweet Little Peta Girl~~R.I.P~~Love Mom*
    ~~Gotcha'~04/20/2012~~Flew Over The Rainbow Bridge~02/28/2014~~

Parrots

Green Quaker- Cooper
    okay this isn't from me, but this website is a GREAT resource for foraging and enrichment:

http://www.parrotenrichment.com/

I bought a few of the "fantastic foraging blocks" from parrot enrichment and cooper loves chewing them. I would recommend them. and I know im not the only one here with ideas, post away guys!!

13. The following user likes this post:

headfeathermistress (07-17-2013)

Nobility Member

Parrots

Lineated Parakeet named Kobe (M) and (F) named Tango Maine Coon Kitty named Christine
    I used to wrap nutriberries in unbleached coffee filters. I think everyone knows about that one. Small uncoated baskets are inexpensive and birds seem to love it when they are filled with fun things. Nice thread!