User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Update with Valentino RFM and Julio Noble macaw

Parrots

Valentino - Red Fronted Macaw - Hatched Aug 12, 2012

Update with Valentino RFM and Julio Noble macaw

I will try to post again since the form logged me out and ate my post. LOL

Valentino is doing really well. Lupe steps it up for me and will give him attention the evenings I have class. I go to class twice a week and will be doing this until November. This gives two times a week where Valentino does not get his momma time until I get home between 9:30 and 10PM. I still have not picked up harness training as the weather has been really crappy with being cold and wet. Summer should come soon I hope and his harness still fits so I hope to resume the training soon. Valentino is still somewhat pinching me in his manner of play and leaves bruises but not as bad as before. I don't really care for this aspect of the RFM but have taught him early on "gentle" and he will check himself when the command is used. I have to remind him I am NOT a RFM! I also am not fond of his need to be Tarzan. He loves to swing from my ponytail and squeal. If he is slipping he will grab into my shirt and sometimes will grab some of my flesh as well. Not very comfortable when he is pinching my back and shoulders to pull himself up. He also pulls on my hair while doing this too. Lupe has walked in on us as Valentino is standing on my rear squealing in delight a he is playing with my hair. Such a little PITA at times I tell you what. What I love about Valentino is when he is affectionate and when he is getting into his training. These are what I find most pleasurable about having a RFM in my life.

Julio the naked Noble macaw is adjusting well. He has chosen Lupe as his person and he has not bitten her in quite some time. She can do pretty much anything to him where I cannot. I am unable to take him out of his cage without getting bitten. For now I have kept status quo with just being in the room with him (he is in my office so this is a plus) and talking to him and feeding him food from my finger though the cage. I can also open the cage door to feed him but he will not step up for me even with a offered treat. He is terrified of stepping up on a perch on any kind, natural, dowl, something he even knows about will cause fright. I don't know if this comes from some kind of abuse but I do know at the very least he was verbally abused. I suspect highly he might of been backhanded also. He has about a month left of quarentine and then will be moved downstairs next to Valentino. I hope by being relocated and being around another parrot will help him feel more secure and settled for once and all. I will then set example for him while interacting with Valentino to help him realize I am not that bad a person. It is my hope in time he can learn to trust me also.

Now I will post before it gets eaten again. LOL

2. The following 3 users like this post:

merlinsmom13 (06-10-2013), plax (06-10-2013), Turquoise (06-11-2013)

Nobility Member

Parrots

Catalina Macaw - Harlow, Blue & Gold Macaw - Rocky, Greenwing Macaw - Ruby, Bluefront Amazon - Tequila, Hawkhead - Charlotte, 2 Blk hd Caiques - Sammy, Greta, Yellow streaked Lory - Louie, LesserSulpher 2 - Belly, Sunconure - Gingee, Yellow sided Greencheek - Disco, Goffin - Pearl, Rosebreasted 2 - Owen
    Glad to hear things are going well [I know things were a little hairy at first] . Im sure he will be a whole new bird in 6 months

Parrots

Quincy CAG Hatched 03/2000 Gotcha @ 3 months old ~ Savannah GW Macaw Hatched 06/1993 Gotcha 4/2013 ~ Coqui B&G Macaw Hatched 09/2003 Gotcha 10/2013 ~ Sidney Blue Crown Conure Gotcha Day 06/2015 Hatch Date Guess 06/2010.
    Sounds like things are moving right along. I'm sure with time things will get better. Sounds like both you and Lupe are doing an awesome job. Keep it up!

"Nothing that matters comes easy, and nothing easy ever really matters." ~ Lyrics From Ordinary Girl By Rick Springfield

Parrots

Punky (Galah), Skittles (Rainbow Lorikeet), Mia (Sun Conure), Max (Green Cheek Conure), Tonks (Cockatiel), Tessa (Cockatiel), Lola (Budgie), Sid (Lovebird), Aussie (Lovebird), Johnny (Lovebird)
    Thanks for the update Noble, I'd been wondering how Julio was going
    A bit different as my galah is only young with (as far as I know) no past abuse, but she is great with me and very frightened with my partner, which sounds a lot like how Julio is with you... I'm hoping that our problem is just that she needs more time with him and she'll realise that he isn't the boogie monster lol

Parrots

I know from reading Julio's intake form (something I was given privy too but normally is not allowed which I was very thankful for) he tends to bond to one person. With my experience this is not normal Noble macaw behavior but I do know if he was NOT a Noble macaw this would be a lot harder to deal with. I do hope Julio learns to accept me and include me in his affections but from the history I have read on him that might not be possible. I happen to think anything is possible with time and effort. No matter what Julio is here to stay, we are his forever home and real important is that Lupe is over the moon about him. She really loves the little naked Noble macaw.

7. The following 2 users like this post:

plax (06-10-2013), Turquoise (06-11-2013)

Administrator

Parrots

Blue & Gold Macaw "Jack" | Military Macaw "Maynard" - RIP | Hyacinth Macaw "Zaffer" - RIP | Green-wing Macaw "Salsa" | Nanday Conure "Bozley"
    It's great to hear that both Valentino and Julio are progressing so nicely, Rebecca. You and Lupe keep up your terrific work with those guys

Parrots

I got the email in from Dr. Blair and his labs all came back clean. Julio is not carrying any disease that will infect Valentino. After the quarantine is over at the end of June Julio's cage will be moved downstairs to join Valentino. I am so happy my rescue parrot is so healthy!!

Now we will work on trying to get him feathers, improve his diet introducing fresh foods and the biggest one....TRAINING. YEA!
    Mihijo - Noble macaw - 2/27/95 to 10/07/2012
    Diego - Illiger's macaw - 5/16/2002 to 6/08/2011
    Joaquin - Solomon Island Eclectus - 1/17/2001 to 12/23/2005

May all my boys RIP
    Fly free until I can see you all again

Julio - Noble macaw went back to his rescue 4/12/14

10. The following 2 users like this post:

Blancaej (06-10-2013), plax (06-11-2013)

Parrots

Quincy CAG Hatched 03/2000 Gotcha @ 3 months old ~ Savannah GW Macaw Hatched 06/1993 Gotcha 4/2013 ~ Coqui B&G Macaw Hatched 09/2003 Gotcha 10/2013 ~ Sidney Blue Crown Conure Gotcha Day 06/2015 Hatch Date Guess 06/2010.
    That is awesome news! I'm happy for you both!

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Tapatalk 2

"Nothing that matters comes easy, and nothing easy ever really matters." ~ Lyrics From Ordinary Girl By Rick Springfield

Administrator

Parrots

Blue & Gold Macaw "Jack" | Military Macaw "Maynard" - RIP | Hyacinth Macaw "Zaffer" - RIP | Green-wing Macaw "Salsa" | Nanday Conure "Bozley"
    Congratulations, Rebecca!

This is fantastic news Rebecca I am really happy for you.