User Tag List

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Hello

Parrots

Abraham (Abe)
    Thank you, I feel like a single father with a very bold baby.. I will post pics soon

2. The following 3 users like this post:

Honesty (06-04-2013), Momto3boys (06-04-2013), Turquoise (06-05-2013)

Parrots

Abraham (Abe)
    On top of his cage is a real issue, he goes up and goes right to the back! so far the record is 1 hour and 5 bites. I got a bird stand but he is a brat when he is on it. I just ordered 5 toys online. I don't know where she got them before. I tried the TV ( I know this sounds dumb) but it seems to really stimulate him- way too much. He's been tough for the last 6 weeks. I know he misses her, but she has no interest in taking him.

Parrots

Blue & Gold Macaw, DYH Amazon, Timneh African Grey, Senegal
    Im so glad you're taking the time to educate yourself and take on this beautiful boy....I too have a male B&G....he literally is my baby. I cant wait to see pics of your boy
    <a href=http://smg.photobucket.com/user/Dakin_Corbin/media/MT3B_zps619f8d39.png.html target=_blank><a href=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v503/Dakin_Corbin/MT3B_zps619f8d39.png target=_blank>http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...ps619f8d39.png</a></a>

5. The following user likes this post:

plax (06-04-2013)

Parrots

Blue & Gold Macaw, DYH Amazon, Timneh African Grey, Senegal
    Thats sad that she just walked away from him....he is acting out. You're right, he is missing her but he will come around. All my birds are rehomes so I know about the bites, the best thing is so is stick train.....get him used to stepping up onto a perch.

I cant stress enough to be positive, positive, positive. He will pick up on it.
    Im sorry if I missd it, but how old is he?
    <a href=http://smg.photobucket.com/user/Dakin_Corbin/media/MT3B_zps619f8d39.png.html target=_blank><a href=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v503/Dakin_Corbin/MT3B_zps619f8d39.png target=_blank>http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...ps619f8d39.png</a></a>

7. The following user likes this post:

plax (06-04-2013)

Nobility Member

Parrots

Lineated Parakeet named Kobe (M) and (F) named Tango Maine Coon Kitty named Christine
    If you have time try to get the book Parrots for Dummies. It is a wonderful resource with lots of excellent basic parrot information. Areas of concentration for you to learn are bird safety, nutrition, socialization, annual avian vet exams. and overall parrot enrichment.
    Parrots naturally sleep at dark for about 10-12 hours of darkness. That is hard wired into their brains. Working at night could present some problems for this bird unless you have someone else there that would spend time with him in the light of day. We are all here for your questions an concerns.

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_no...ummies&ie=UTF8

9. The following 3 users like this post:

plax (06-04-2013), ShellyBorg (06-11-2013), Turquoise (06-05-2013)

Parrots

2 Male Catalina Macaws, Roscoe & Angel~1 Female Green Wing Macaw, Ruby Jewel~1 Female Solomon Island Eclectus, Leyla Belle~1 Female Pineapple Green Cheek Conure, Peta (R.I.P.)~1 White Capped Pionus, Sierra Sunrise~ 1 Rose Breasted Cockatoo, Dakota Nakira'Too~1 female Pineapple Green Cheek Conure, Serita Lynae, 10 Parakeets
    Hi David & welcome to the forum. Oh boy, you do have your hands full, but it is not impossible to handle. You are doing great so far, especially in seeking help & googling all these new word we are throwing at you. Everyone has already given you excellent advice already.

What I can tell you is what it is like to work nights & keep large bird! I too work at night 4 on & 4 off, 12 hr. shifts, I have a 100 mile round trip to drive each work night & moring & I have 3 macaws, 1 Eclectus, 1 green Cheek Conure & 10 budgies. It's workable once you get your boy into a routine of how it is going to be. Brandy gave you excellent advice with a workable schedule of out time & plenty to do in his cage. Your rough spots are going to be getting him from the bratty, mad boy he is right now to the accepting you as his new favorite person and your schedule.

My Catalina Roscoe acts more like a B&G since one of his parents was one. he is an impish brat often, not to mention he will be 2 yrs. old in Sept. and it is natural for him to be coming into his terrible twos like human kids do. When I get home in the morning I let all 3 macaws out on their respective play perches. Roscoe & Ruby Jewel have to ride on my arm to their perches, I don't keep theirs by their enclosures. Angel has leg disabilities & can't stand, so i push his to his open door & he has the choice to come out if he wants. My Eclectus has her play perch in front of her door & she comes & goes in her cage. Mine are out about 1 1/2 hrs in the morning while I fix their foods. Then they are put back in & I get ready for my *nap*. That is usually around 9:00am & I am back up either at 1:30pm or 2:00pm. I take them all out again fro the 1 1/2 hrs while i get ready for work. They all go back in when i leave at 3:30pm.

Roscoe, Angel & Leyla Belle adjusted to the schedule very well & fast. I added Ruby Jewel just recently & it took her about 2 weeks to really get the hang of how I did things. She is an 8 month old Green Wing & she was spoiled by her breeder to be out all day long until bed time. the first week she thought I was the meanest owner she could have ever been given to. Now she is totally cool with it all & would still love to stay out all day, but knows she can't. Now, there are days when Roscoe & Angel are very loud & noisy & my bedroom is on the other side of their enclosure for now. hose days are hard to sleep, but I have my new bedroom almost ready to move into & it will be far enough away from them that it will work.

I wished I had time enough to write more, but it is time to put the feathered kids up & head out the door for work. Good luck & if you would like at anytime to find out more about my experience with a night work schedule & big birds, please feel free to send me a personal message.
    ~~My Flock~~
    *In Loving Memory Of My Sweet Little Peta Girl~~R.I.P~~Love Mom*
    ~~Gotcha'~04/20/2012~~Flew Over The Rainbow Bridge~02/28/2014~~

11. The following user likes this post:

spiritbird (06-04-2013)

Parrots

Josie - B&G macaw
    Hi and welcome to the forum. Sorry to hear how you became the proud new guardian of a b&g but happy you are ready for the challenge. Are you in NEPA? Your profile said Abington area? Is that new Clark's summit? If so, I'm not far from there so I can try to help you if you want. Let me know.

Parrots

Abraham (Abe)
    Yes I am, Josies mom..lol I guess my mane wasn't so stupid. Do you train birds? I saw the school pics.

Parrots

Abraham (Abe)
    annual avian vet exams! I have called every vet for 50 sq miles. NO one knows birds. Sadly the best I could locally is a farm vet. The search goes on.

Parrots

Abraham (Abe)
    I agree it is a bummer and neither one of us saw it coming. lol I know he misses her, I am trying to be positive but it can be trying. I tried the perch thing out of necessity not intelligence, it worked but he made it up my arm and made a break for my shoulder. Cute side note the first thing he ever said to me was "NO!"