User Tag List

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Hello

Parrots

Quincy CAG Hatched 03/2000 Gotcha @ 3 months old ~ Savannah GW Macaw Hatched 06/1993 Gotcha 4/2013 ~ Coqui B&G Macaw Hatched 09/2003 Gotcha 10/2013 ~ Sidney Blue Crown Conure Gotcha Day 06/2015 Hatch Date Guess 06/2010.
    David - Thanks for taking the time to learn how to care for your ex's b&g like this. Owning a macaw is so rewarding! I hope that you can form a relationship with him and be good buddies. I look forward to hearing how it goes. Good luck and as always, keep asking questions. There is so much knowledge on this forum!

"Nothing that matters comes easy, and nothing easy ever really matters." ~ Lyrics From Ordinary Girl By Rick Springfield

Parrots

B and G: Sparky, Red Fronted macaw: Jax, RBC: Pretty
    Another option is to start clicker training Abe. I know from experience that men don't think like birds. lol Teaching step up and coming from the cage has been a problem for my B and G as well. I used to have to tempt with almonds to step onto the playstand then onto my arm. It was trying at times, and she does still occasionally decide that she would rather do whatever she wants. If I leave her "loose" on her cage and leave to sit down, she will get on the floor and find me. I adopted her from a bad situation, she is somewhere in her 20's and has some issues, but with time and patience she has come a long way. I'm sure that you can work on things with Abe, if you do realize that you really don't want to have a parrot in your life, be sure to take the steps to re-home him into a great home. You seem like the kind of guy to take a stab at it, good luck with him, its nice to see someone doing the work.

Parrots

Abraham (Abe)
    Quote Originally Posted by plax View Post
    That makes it pretty rough, David. You may want to make the 123 mile trip if Abe ever demonstrates signs of a serious medical complication. And it would be good to get him an initial checkup at some point as well. For urgent matters you'll likely have to rely upon small animal vets in your area. It might be a good idea for you to meet and contact other bird owners near you to learn who they are using for a bird vet. Check with bird rescue facilities and/or bird stores in your area for recommendations. Best of luck with all of that.
    There are not many bird people in my area, I did try a few pet stores. A few have birds, but they claim they are rescues and don't really deal in them. Honestly the birds they have don't look as happy as Abe.

Parrots

Abraham (Abe)
    Quote Originally Posted by spiritbird View Post
    This may go against the mainstream but I think there are many vets that are very good with birds that are not certified avian. I have gone to two of them and had no problems. You may want to check around with the other members from PA and ask around.
    I tried that..... again not to helpful.

Parrots

Abraham (Abe)
    I appreciate that, but it's about 132 miles
    Quote Originally Posted by spiritbird View Post
    OK I made some phone calls for you and found an animal hospital that has a vet who takes care of birds. His name is Dr. Gerstenfeld and here is the link http://www.chestnuthillvet.com/ Phone number is 215-836-2950. This should be much closer for you.