User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: overted disaster

Parrots

3 Alexandrines Oxy, hatched August 2012 Bruno, hatched August 2011 Prince, hatched August 2009

Cool overted disaster

alot of people who know me and the stories of my birds think i am extremely lucky to have them after oxy has escaped twice, first time for a day and tgen for a week and a couple of mobths ago bruno escaped and after 2 weeks i got him back again. those stories are nothing compared to this most recent one.

my bf decided to take me camping for my birthday this past friday. as excited as i was, because its been over a year since i went camping due to an injury i was a little worried about leaving the 3 amigos for a 2nights and a day.

i rang a friend of mine that i get to feed my cat when ever i had gone away previously to see if he could once again feed the cat and this time the birds. he was fine with this.

i let the amigos fly around freely with the kitty locked out whilst we got everything organised. by the time we had everything organised it was about 6.30pm. i filled up their pellet bowl, put a tray of seed in the bottom of the cage and changed their water, put a cob of corn on their skewer and prepared them a bowl of fresh fruit and veg for my mate to feed them the next day. i also hid lots of treats around the cage for foraging. wrote an instruction list for my mate being sure to warn him that prince may try escaping when he put the fresh food bowl in the cage. before leaving the house i tripled checked that the cage was all locked up. especially considering that there were are few windows open and kitty having free roam of the house.

i was having a great time camping. we got to the beach around 9pm after arriving at the campsite to set up at about 8.30 thursday night. by 3.30 friday arvo i had caught 5 fish so it was one of my best birthdays ever until my phone came back into service.

i had a few messages, most of which were birthday messages but one was saying i had a voice mail. i figured it was going to be another birthday wish but decided i should listen to it.

the voice mail was from my mate. he had gone around to feed the birds to find them all out of the cage and was having trouble getting them back in. instantly i thought he was pulling a very nasty birthday prank on me, but rang him back immediately. unfortunately it was no prank. i gave him instructions on how to get them back in and quickly oacked the fishing gear into the car abd started heading for home incase the worst had hapened. because they were out, he assumed they were meant to be and went home between the phone calls but headed straight over when i informed they were meant to be locked up.
    before he left, he closed the front windows that the cat uses to get in and out of the house but had not noticed the open window in the lounge room that the wind had pushed the screen open on. he managed to get them all back in the xage and then wired all the doors closed. it turns out that (im assuming prince) had managed to unlock and slide open the side door.

considering that they were left unattended previously for 5min and pribce and bruno chewed thru a screen and bruno escaped im in shock i still have my babies. who knows how long they had been out for before my m8 got them back in the cage. im still in shock and counting my lucky stars. i know for a fact that either prince or bruno were at the opened window as there are tooth picks on the floor near it.

so taking 3 wide open windows, a wandering kitty cat and still having all 3 amigos...... I MUST BE THE LUCKIEST BIRD OWNER IN THE UNIVERSE.

2. The following user likes this post:

aliray (05-31-2013)

Parrots

Caique- Pickles, Blue throated macaw- Lars, Medium sulphur crested cockatoo- Lilly, Double yellow headed amazon- Babe, Senegel- Rocky, Goffins cockatoo- Pearl, Catalina macaw- Fiesta and many many rescues!
    You have gotten very lucky... Again, I hope you keep such amazing luck

4. The following user likes this post:

gemini_84 (05-26-2013)

Parrots

3 Alexandrines Oxy, hatched August 2012 Bruno, hatched August 2011 Prince, hatched August 2009
    thank you jt, i really hope i dont have any more disasters ir near disasters cause im sure my luck will run out eventually. i wanted to be so mad at them for escaping the cage that they had never shown any intention on doing before, but because i was so happy and relived they were safe i couldnt. needless to say, as soon as the hardware shop opens tomorrow ill be down there buying something to secure the cage doors with..... any suggestions?

Parrots

Josie - B&G macaw
    So glad all is well. That is scary.

7. The following user likes this post:

gemini_84 (05-26-2013)

Nobility Member

Parrots

Sassy Goffin's girl, she IS Sassy Amigo, male umbrella cockatoo Chip! The cockatiel! The sweet, sweet Jellybean!
    I'm happy to hear that there were no missing birds when you got home! My cockatoos are escape artists and sometimes the only sure-fire way to keep them in is with a lock that owns a key!

9. The following user likes this post:

gemini_84 (05-26-2013)

Wow! That must have been scarey for you Amanda. I am so pleased he was still there when you got home.

11. The following user likes this post:

gemini_84 (05-26-2013)

Oh my! What a fright. I'm glad this turned out well.

13. The following user likes this post:

gemini_84 (05-26-2013)

Parrots

Nanday Conure (Rowdy), YCA (Pete) and CAG (Miss Merlin)
    Wow, how frightening! I'm glad everything turned out well!

15. The following user likes this post:

gemini_84 (05-26-2013)

Parrots

Misha - GGC Guapo - GCC Nimbus - Alexandrine
    Those little escape artists! Don't you wish you could just backhand them after a stunt like that! I know I'd be worried sick

17. The following user likes this post:

gemini_84 (06-10-2013)

Parrots

eclectus x 4, cockatiels x4, lories x2, budgies x26 and babies all year round of all my birds
    some one up there love's you and i find just the clips u put keys on then clip to ur jeans work well

19. The following user likes this post:

gemini_84 (06-10-2013)