User Tag List

Thread: African Grey Behavior

Parrots

African Grey, Timneh

African Grey Behavior

I have a two-year-old African Grey, Timneh named Kirby.

He has a pretty good life. I work at home and he has a cage and a large tree and lots of toys. The cage is open all the time except when I go to sleep or when I leave. If I am working in the kitchen, I have a perch in there, so he's with me all the time. I hold him and he gets lots of attention.

He had his yearly check up in December and everything was fine.

But lately, he's started flying off his tree constantly over to where I am. I usually pick him up and take him back to his perch without a word, and if he does it too much, like five times, I put him in his cage for a while. Nothing stops him. He's not falling, but purposely flying. I've checked his cage for anything scary, but it's the same one he's always had.

Any suggestions? When I'm working here at home, I can't stop and put him back on his perch 20 times, and I hate putting him in his cage when he doesn't have to be.

2. The following user likes this post:

Dragonlady2 (04-16-2023)

Super Moderator

Parrots

Willy-Eclectus, Oliver-alexandrine, Mookie-Senegal, Bella- Australian King, Joey and Peewee- Barrabands, Peachiegirl-Peachfront conure, Pepper- crimson belly conure, Peanut-plum head, Babyblue-parrotlette, Harry and Louie-canaries.
    Hi and welcome to the forum. Birds are flock animals which means they want to spend their time with the flock/ family which in this case is you.

He will likely be confused as to why he can’t spend time with you. Are you able to set up a couple of “stations” around where you work with some foraging materials/food to keep him busy? I have hung floor length sheer curtains from the ceiling for separation when necessary.

You could put him in his cage for short periods of time with a special toy or snack so he doesn’t feel like it’s a punishment?

I have a couple of birds that like to ride the shoulder as well. It’s the joy as well as the problem when you have parrots. Hope you are able to find a solution that works for both of you.

Parrots

African Grey Parrot, Cockatiel, Conure
    One option for you is to create a designated "play area" for Kirby near where you work, where he can be out of his cage and have access to toys and perches. This will give him a designated space where he can interact with you while also providing him with opportunities for independent play and exploration. You could also consider adding more perches or play areas in the room where you work so that Kirby has more options for movement and activity. This can help to reduce his desire to constantly fly over to where you are.

5. The following user likes this post:

Dragonlady2 (07-21-2023)