User Tag List

Thread: Behavior Question

Parrots

Black Capped Green Cheek & Yellow-Sided Green Cheek

Behavior Question

Ok so I haven't yet had a chance to have Sophia sexed yet, but I know did have Eddie and he is definitely a boy.

Now that they have bonded, I am noticing a new behavior between them. When they are preening each other, they start placing their wings over top of the other bird and they switch off.

Is this normal behavior and what does it mean? I hope someone can explain it to me please.

Super Moderator

Parrots

Willy-Eclectus, Oliver-alexandrine, Mookie-Senegal, Bella- Australian King, Joey and Peewee- Barrabands, Peachiegirl-Peachfront conure, Pepper- crimson belly conure, Peanut-plum head, Babyblue-parrotlette, Harry and Louie-canaries.
    Are they feeding each other as well? Are they sharing a cage or do they each have their own?

Parrots

It looks like they are feeding each other, or simulating it. They each have their own cages, but we let them out quite often to interact with each other.

Super Moderator

Parrots

Willy-Eclectus, Oliver-alexandrine, Mookie-Senegal, Bella- Australian King, Joey and Peewee- Barrabands, Peachiegirl-Peachfront conure, Pepper- crimson belly conure, Peanut-plum head, Babyblue-parrotlette, Harry and Louie-canaries.
    It sounds like mating behaviour. Are you wanting to breed them? If not, try to discourage the behaviour as it could lead to plucking. I have a pair of birds that try to engage in feeding each other. If I tell Peachie “no”, she will run Peanut off. I think this is breeding season for conures because mine are shredding paper…telltale sign.

5. The following user likes this post:

LoriG. (01-16-2023)

Parrots

That's what I thought too.

7. The following user likes this post:

Dragonlady2 (01-19-2023)