User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Thimbletack

Hybrid View

Parrots

Two cockatiel hens named Gracie & Matilda

Thimbletack

Thimbletack, often shortened to Thimble, is our new little friend. She likes blankets, sitting on heads, and destruction! She’s not a rescue like Gracie, just a well-cared for bird who needed a permanent home. I think Gracie is already a tad jealous — she gets jealous so very easily. When I first started working full time…she’s still holding that grudge. Of course, she has no reasons to be. She made me love tiels so much I just had to get another.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	3829CF88-BD36-4D45-ADF2-966A3598FB66.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	44.0 KB 
ID:	5378Click image for larger version. 

Name:	260C859F-7422-47B3-AEEB-2E363210A52C.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	37.4 KB 
ID:	5379Click image for larger version. 

Name:	3829CF88-BD36-4D45-ADF2-966A3598FB66.jpg 
Size:	44.0 KB 
ID:	5378[ATTACH=CONFIG]5379[/ATTACH

Thimble is very active, more like a conure than any cockatiel I’ve met, but quiet. She even tries to hang upside down. She fails, but it’s worth a shot. She does not like to see the dogs, which is funny to me as Gracie adores them. We’re still getting to know each other but we’re happy to have her.

Super Moderator

Parrots

Willy-Eclectus, Oliver-alexandrine, Mookie-Senegal, Bella- Australian King, Joey and Peewee- Barrabands, Peachiegirl-Peachfront conure, Pepper- crimson belly conure, Peanut-plum head, Babyblue-parrotlette, Harry and Louie-canaries.
    She is a beautiful bird. She seems pretty tame. She might teach Gracie a trick or two. So happy that Thimble is settling in so well. Hopefully Gracie will mellow out a little and become more accepting.

Parrots

She sure is a stunner! Gracie is a little couch potato, I think if she got much more mellow she’d turn stuffed. But you’re right, I hope she feels secure with another around.

I am curious, since we have received clear blood panels is there any reason to quarantine longer?

Super Moderator

Parrots

Willy-Eclectus, Oliver-alexandrine, Mookie-Senegal, Bella- Australian King, Joey and Peewee- Barrabands, Peachiegirl-Peachfront conure, Pepper- crimson belly conure, Peanut-plum head, Babyblue-parrotlette, Harry and Louie-canaries.
    I would give the vet a call to confirm that the quarantine can be waived. I would think so, but they may have other reasons as to why it should continue.

Parrots

Quarantine was dismissed!

We started out with two cages set apart from each other and when they were side by side and otherwise minding their business, we let them out. Gracie ignored her and ate her dinner. Thimble ventured into Gracie’s cage. It’s a new cage, so she isn’t territorial over it. Gracie ignored her and ate her dinner, so I provided millet. They ate it side by side.

Gracie is still neutral towards Thimbletack. Thimble is very interested in Gracie, though, and has approached her with food a few times. Gracie doesn’t like when she gets too close and will move away, but she is very tolerant and otherwise unbothered…

Not sure what to make of that! She seems to not care either way. I wonder if she was once an aviary bird.

I guess we’ll see what they think of each other as time goes on. Thimble eventually left Gracie’s cage and is back to exploring the house.

Super Moderator

Parrots

Awesome news. Just having same species birds together is a bonus for them both. If they eventually interact with each other…icing on the cake.

Parrots

Still going well today. Thimble is obsessed with Gracie. She just wants to be close to her, and keeps trying to snuggle up. Gracie makes sure she keeps her distance with a hiss but doesn’t bother her any otherwise. In other words, Gracie still does not care, but Thimble wants some love…I have a feeling she’ll accept it eventually. Especially because she gets millet everytime Thimble is around, and she loves millet.

A funny thing. She will eat vegetables if Thimble is eating them. She’s always tried them, but never cleared a plate. But they’ll eat veggies together just fine.

Parrots

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	95767EED-4004-4DB8-82C7-893582301006.jpg 
Size:	30.2 KB 
ID:	5380

She is very tame. Definitely a peoples bird. We are close already. Gracie has been venturing farther from her cage now that she sees her new friend exploring the house. That makes me happy. Well, it did until she decided to fly into the kitchen and almost crash into my dinner. It wasn’t hot, no worries.

9. The following user likes this post:

Dragonlady2 (11-21-2022)

Super Moderator

Parrots

Maybe Thimble had a friend in her previous home? Gracie is gonna learn some things and it sounds like Thimble is a great teacher. This will be an interesting journey for them both. Thanks for the update.

Parrots

Oh, she certainly did! She lived with five others who were already adopted, and her owner had a beautiful indoor aviary with more birds. I know everything about her background this time around (for the most part), which is a relief.

12. The following user likes this post:

Dragonlady2 (11-22-2022)