User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gracie’s Getting A Companion

Parrots

Two cockatiel hens named Gracie & Matilda

Gracie’s Getting A Companion

Gracie has been with us for almost six years and we’ve finally decided it’s time for her to get a friend. We toyed with the idea before, but held off.
    She’s still what I call cage bound, which basically means that even though the door is perpetually open she rarely leaves the cage. She is more curious than when first adopted, but even then, she is very shy. She was mistreated in her previous home, after all, so she’s nervous. I think having a confident and social friend might help her be more outgoing. She’ll get to see that the world is safe.
    I am worried that because she’s been alone so long, she’ll be difficult to bond. I appreciate any and all advice! I am okay if they don’t get along but since tiels tend to be pretty social I think it’ll work out.
    Last edited by rivx; 10-31-2022 at 03:05 AM.

Super Moderator

Parrots

Willy-Eclectus, Oliver-alexandrine, Mookie-Senegal, Bella- Australian King, Joey and Peewee- Barrabands, Peachiegirl-Peachfront conure, Pepper- crimson belly conure, Peanut-plum head, Babyblue-parrotlette, Harry and Louie-canaries.
    Are you planning to cage them separately initially? This will give them a chance to see and hear each other. Will the new cockatiel be male or female? The addition of another cockatiel may stimulate Gracie to lay eggs.
    Have you considered a different species?

Parrots

Hey there!

It will be another ‘tiel, my views have grown a little over time and I don’t feel cockatiels should be without another of their own species nearby. It just feels unnatural to me considering how social they are in their natural habitat — flocks of hundreds or thousands of birds! I learned it is actually illegal for them to be without others in some countries. That said, I’m not doing it just for her…I love cockatiels in general. To me, they are the ideal parrot. Don’t tell the others I said that…

As she hasn’t had any hormone problems in years, I’m hoping it won’t be an issue, but I have discussed it and will be fostering/trial period first to make sure it’s a good fit! It will be a hen. They will be housed separately, either initially or permanently depending on how things go. While I love the idea of a male, with Gracie’s past I believe it will make her too hormonal. We’re quite excited! We’re working with a local group to find the best fit.

Super Moderator

Parrots

Willy-Eclectus, Oliver-alexandrine, Mookie-Senegal, Bella- Australian King, Joey and Peewee- Barrabands, Peachiegirl-Peachfront conure, Pepper- crimson belly conure, Peanut-plum head, Babyblue-parrotlette, Harry and Louie-canaries.
    Wow…looks like you have taken the time to think this out. Way to go. I hope you will be able to find a compatible companion for Gracie. Great news to hear that her hormones have settled. You have done a great job with her.
    Let us know when the new addition arrives. It will be interesting to see how this affects Gracie.

Parrots

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonlady2 View Post
    Wow…looks like you have taken the time to think this out. Way to go. I hope you will be able to find a compatible companion for Gracie. Great news to hear that her hormones have settled. You have done a great job with her.
    Let us know when the new addition arrives. It will be interesting to see how this affects Gracie.
    That’s so very appreciated! Thanks! It wouldn’t be the same without this forum. The advice here has made a huge difference for her. She’s healthy, happy, and we have a great bond despite her hands-off approach to life…I think if I never joined here we’d be stuck in square one!

Fingers crossed the first foster is the right one, but if not, then oh well, at least we helped a little! I just hope she reacts normally. We sheltered a GCC in the past and she didn’t seem bothered, but of course there’s no telling how she’ll feel about a tiel. At least if that doesn’t work out, I know what my second favorite species is.

6. The following user likes this post:

Dragonlady2 (11-01-2022)

Super Moderator

Parrots

Have you had any luck finding a friend for Gracie?

Parrots

We're scheduled to go meet three girls next weekend and see who's personality we think ‘fits’ for her!

9. The following user likes this post:

Dragonlady2 (11-05-2022)

Parrots

We’re finalizing everything to bring home the sweetest cinnamon pied girl on Saturday! Deciding was difficult. There was another, a beautiful solid white tiel, who reminded me a lot of Gacy: lazy and neutral, while the pied is energetic and outgoing. Ultimately I loved how playful the pied was and thought it would also benefit Gacy to have someone to encourage her to get a move on! My sweet girl is painfully lazy and absolutely terrible at flying. And I do love a silly bird.

But I have to admit, I am still torn! I feel like I’d have my second thoughts either way. Would she get along better with a bird as lazy as her? Would I regret not choosing the personality I preferred? Impossible decision!
    Last edited by rivx; 11-10-2022 at 05:28 PM.

11. The following user likes this post:

Dragonlady2 (11-15-2022)

Parrots

She is home! She is beautiful and sweet as can be. Destressing from her long ride home.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CFA7986B-1164-43D7-80AC-57C74EE43203.jpg 
Views:	6 
Size:	55.1 KB 
ID:	5377

Super Moderator

Parrots

She is gorgeous! Hopefully she and Gracie get along. Have they seen each other yet?