User Tag List

Thread: parrot is refusing fresh fruits

parrot is refusing fresh fruits

Now a days my parrot is refusing fresh fruits em so worried about it its the only thing I use to give him daily. Other then fresh fruit what can I give him to eat?

Super Moderator

Parrots

Willy-Eclectus, Oliver-alexandrine, Mookie-Senegal, Bella- Australian King, Joey and Peewee- Barrabands, Peachiegirl-Peachfront conure, Pepper- crimson belly conure, Peanut-plum head, Babyblue-parrotlette, Harry and Louie-canaries.
    You can give him pellets made for parrots. Try chopped fresh vegetables or cooking the vegetables and adding cinnamon or cayenne pepper. Sometimes parrots need a variety of foods to keep them interested.

Hello,
    Which parrot do you have?
    Same happened with me. Last year I purchased a cockatiels from petco. For the first 3 month I had no issue to handle it. After 3 month it started to stop eating foods that I used to give it regularly. I wold have given suggestion specifically.
    But if it is a Cockatiels, Concerning the products of the soil, Cockatiels are very little for eating the natural product. However, many will figure out how to appreciate dim salad greens and veggies. On the off chance that she doesn't need soft food sources, attempt crude, harder veggies like carrots, broccoli florets, green beans and other crude veggies. Preferably she will ultimately eat these food varieties, yet on the off chance that she doesn't, she is as yet getting what she really wants from the pellets and Nutri-Berries. You can giving it different food items like beans,sprouts,pasta,popcorn, grains, nuts etc. Or simply you can ask the store from where you bought it about the issue.

Super Moderator

Parrots

Willy-Eclectus, Oliver-alexandrine, Mookie-Senegal, Bella- Australian King, Joey and Peewee- Barrabands, Peachiegirl-Peachfront conure, Pepper- crimson belly conure, Peanut-plum head, Babyblue-parrotlette, Harry and Louie-canaries.
    Great suggestions. Welcome to the forum!

Thank you so much.

You do not need to worry. Because parrot food is very diverse. I consulted a list of nuts for parrots. I bought one of them and found them nutritionally valuable and palatable to my parrot. You can rest assured and refer here: https://www.birdnature.com/best-parrot-foods/

Parrots

Macaws
    I had this problem, but it went away. It is important that the parrot gets the elements from the food that he needs. For a while, feed your parrot a variety of food, try everything that he can eat. After a while, he will again want fresh fruit. Try offering your parrot fresh carrots, kale, spinach, or sweet potatoes. They can be cut into small pieces or crushed for ease of consumption.
    Granules are available. Be sure to select pellets that are appropriate for the size and type of your parrot.
    Try sunflower seeds, pumpkin seeds, flaxseeds, but they should not be the main component of your parrot's diet, they can be offered as a treat in moderation.
    Cooked grains such as brown rice, quinoa and couscous can be used and can be mixed with vegetables for extra nutrition.
    Nuts are high in fat, so they should only be given in small amounts.
    The parrot will choose what he likes.

8. The following user likes this post:

Dragonlady2 (04-18-2023)

Super Moderator

Parrots

You have given a good summary of what is important regarding the diet of parrots. What do you feed your macaws? I think I understood their diet to be a little more nut heavy?

Parrots

African Grey Parrot, Cockatiel, Conure
    Quote Originally Posted by Dragonlady2 View Post
    You have given a good summary of what is important regarding the diet of parrots. What do you feed your macaws? I think I understood their diet to be a little more nut heavy?
    I feed macaws high-quality pelleted food, and small amounts of nuts, such as almonds, walnuts, and Brazil nuts, as treats; some fruits and vegetables include apples, bananas, berries, grapes, carrots, sweet potatoes, and leafy greens. However, nuts should not make up a large portion of their diet, as they are high in fat and can lead to obesity and other health problems if overfed. You could give them a small amount of cooked grains, such as quinoa or brown rice. Mix in some chopped vegetables, such as zucchini or broccoli, and serve alongside a small portion of lean protein such as grilled chicken or fish

11. The following user likes this post:

Dragonlady2 (06-28-2023)

Super Moderator

Parrots

Great suggestions.