User Tag List

Thread: Second Egg in Four Years

Hybrid View

Parrots

Yellow Nape Amazon

Second Egg in Four Years

Yesterday, April 4 at 330pm my 32-year-old yellow nape Amazon just laid her second egg in the last four years. No male parrot around. The first time she laid her egg on the bottom of the cage on the grill, then she didn't want anything to do with it. So, I discarded it. This time, she laid her egg on the top of the cage on the playpen. She has occasionally been touching the egg and sitting beside it ever since and not on it.

What should I do?

Thanks, Scott

Super Moderator

Parrots

Willy-Eclectus, Oliver-alexandrine, Mookie-Senegal, Bella- Australian King, Joey and Peewee- Barrabands, Peachiegirl-Peachfront conure, Pepper- crimson belly conure, Peanut-plum head, Babyblue-parrotlette, Harry and Louie-canaries.
    As long as she is doing fine, I would leave her for now. If she is going to lay another egg, it will happen in a day or two. If there are no more eggs, I would try removing the one egg she has to see what her reaction is. The one thing to watch for is if she starts looking like she is trying to lay another egg and is not able to, as it could be a sign of being egg bound. She will need to see a vet asap if this happens. I had a similar situation a few years ago with one of my parrots. She laid two eggs and hasn’t laid any since.
    If in doubt, always call your vet for consultation.

Parrots

Yellow Nape Amazon
    Good Morning. Thank you for your quick response. An update. Today is day three and she's still sitting by her egg. It's sweet but still sad that she won't have a little one to raise. She ignored the first egg she laid. Her appetite is minimal.

Thanks again,
    ScottClick image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20220407_064611266.jpg 
Views:	7 
Size:	65.2 KB 
ID:	5360

4. The following user likes this post:

Dragonlady2 (04-08-2022)

Super Moderator

Parrots

Willy-Eclectus, Oliver-alexandrine, Mookie-Senegal, Bella- Australian King, Joey and Peewee- Barrabands, Peachiegirl-Peachfront conure, Pepper- crimson belly conure, Peanut-plum head, Babyblue-parrotlette, Harry and Louie-canaries.
    She looks like a sweetheart.

Parrots

Yellow Nape Amazon
    I'm curious... If I pick up and move her eggs. Will she ignore the eggs?

Super Moderator

Parrots

Does she have more than 1? If you remove or move them, she may try to lay more to replace them. Are you close enough to a pet store to buy dummy eggs? You could replace the existing eggs with those until she is no longer interested. You could also try moving them to another place to see if she is interested or protective of them. If she shows no interest, remove them altogether. Just need to watch that she doesn’t start laying again as she may need a calcium supplement.