User Tag List

Thread: dominant hen

Hybrid View

Parrots

Conures

dominant hen

I just got two 10 year old conures about 2 weeks ago. They are seed birds, but I'm not giving up. I keep putting fresh food out for them. They have a nest box. I was told they successfully had one clutch. The female really bosses the male around. He is a small blue masked variety, and she is a peach face. She keeps him in the nest box and squawks at him if he comes out. I was reading that they shouldn't have a nest box unless I am trying to mate them, so during the last two days, I have closed access to the box during the day, but I let them snuggle at night for warmth.
    My hope is to get them both socialized, so they enjoy humans. They seem to watch us, when we are sitting down. My question is. Is it normal to have a dominant female? She loves the millet sticks, and he loves sunflower seeds. I am grinding pellets and putting that on their food for nutrition.
    Any advice ? Should I take the box away entirely?

2. The following user likes this post:

Dragonlady2 (12-01-2021)

Super Moderator

Parrots

Willy-Eclectus, Oliver-alexandrine, Mookie-Senegal, Bella- Australian King, Joey and Peewee- Barrabands, Peachiegirl-Peachfront conure, Pepper- crimson belly conure, Peanut-plum head, Babyblue-parrotlette, Harry and Louie-canaries.
    Hi and welcome to the forum. Great idea grinding the pellets and putting it on their food. Try sprinkling their seeds on a piece of fresh fruit. By your description of the birds, they sound like lovebirds, not conures.

A nest box will only encourage them to try to mate. They will only be interested in each other, not you. I would remove the nest box entirely.
    They don’t need the nest box for warmth. Are you wanting to breed them?

You have only had them a couple of weeks, they will need some time to get used to a new home, new people, new food and new routines.
    Have you got any pictures to share?

Parrots

Conures
    Thanks for the reply! I took away the nest box last night. The little masked blue Desi, he spends a lot of time just sitting on the bottom of the cage. Lucy is the hen, she's about twice his size. I am obviously confused, thinking lovebirds and conures are the same thing. I think I have one of each and they have bonded. I was told they had one successful clutch of three chicks. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot_20211117-123402_Messages.jpg 
Views:	7 
Size:	91.8 KB 
ID:	5359 I'm going to have to figure out how to share a photo. He is very mild and quiet, he lets us touch his feet. She will not have anything to do with it, very vocal, territorial, curious. He has one eye that bulges. I'm taking him in tomorrow to get that checked out. He looks like the mutated yellow collard variety, in pale blue. She is green with blue tail, peach throat and a red forehead, pink beak.
    I had a canary for 9 years, so I'm really a novice. Any advice is appreciated. I'd like to breed them eventually, once I learn enough and have enough time to really bond with one of the babies.

Super Moderator

Parrots

Willy-Eclectus, Oliver-alexandrine, Mookie-Senegal, Bella- Australian King, Joey and Peewee- Barrabands, Peachiegirl-Peachfront conure, Pepper- crimson belly conure, Peanut-plum head, Babyblue-parrotlette, Harry and Louie-canaries.
    They are both lovebirds. It could be that the size difference is because they are from different breeds within the lovebird family? I don’t know enough to give an opinion.
    Time and patience will help develop a relationship with them. Just be aware, that due to their previously mating and being bonded, they might not be as friendly to you as you would like.
    Good idea taking the blue masked one to the vet.
    As well, do a lot of research into breeding them. You may have to hand feed the babies if there are problems. Sometimes, the breeding and hatching goes smoothly, and sometimes it doesn’t. You just have to be prepared and make sure you have a backup to assist if things go wrong.

Let us know what happens at the vet.

Great job so far!

Parrots

Conures
    So, the vet took a pressure reading of the eye and it came back normal (14), she gave Desi antibiotics. He's pretty docile, so it isn't that difficult to get them in him. tiny drops from a syringe, every 12 hours. Its called Baytril.
    Today after his dosage (day 3), Lucy was harrassing him and chasing him all around the cage. His swollen eye began to weep a bit of serosanguinous drainage, so I'm hoping that means the swelling is going down and the pain is being relieved. The vet seemed to think he was in quite a bit of pain- I honestly haven't heard a peep out of him since I got him.
    Lucy will chase him off the millet stick and then go to it herself. She really is a bossy hen. I'lll keep you posted if things turn worse.

Super Moderator

Parrots

Thanks for the update. Have you thought about separating them for a while so Desi can get better and stronger? You could put their cages side by side and see how they interact with each other. Desi would have a chance to eat his share of food and treats. Do you let them out of the cage?

Parrots

Conures
    I have thought of that. No I haven't left the cage open yet. I have a young child and neighbor children that don't close the door behind them.
    But I think I'll leave the cage open for a few hours when I am home from work.
    Thanks for the suggestion, I'll get Desi patched up and strong!