User Tag List

Thread: Budgie suddenly keeping eyes closed and poop drastically changed

Parrots

Budgie

Budgie suddenly keeping eyes closed and poop drastically changed

I have a male budgie that is about 3 years old. Yesterday, 4/13 I came home and my two budgies were energetic as usual. After a couple of hours it suddenly got very hot and my budgies were clearly hot. My female budgie had her wings far from her and was panting a little, but my male budgie (CoCo) was completely stiff, fluffed up, and had his eyes closed. I got my air conditioner on and very slowly started to make the room cooler, starting from the very lowest fan setting. My female budgie became energetic and happy again, but my male budgie remained stiff with his eyes closed the rest of the day. I changed their water, food, and cage lining as I do multiple times a day, but he remained sitting on the same perch with his eyes closed, not even opening them to react to me or anything else. My male budgie is typically super super energetic, flying and bouncing all over the place, so this was super strange. I went to sleep hoping he would be back to his normal self in the morning, where he is the most energetic. This morning he is exactly the same, sitting in a new spot but still keeping his eyes closed. He opened his eyes for a split second when I spoke to him while taking a picture, but other than that, he is not singing or moving. Yesterday he only looked forward with his eyes closed, but this morning he is putting his head on his back (like when he sleeps). When he is looking forward (this morning) his breathing seems more rapid than usual. His wings are moving up and down as he breathes. (Video included) My female budgies is being her usual self.

I also noticed that his droppings were different than usual this morning. It's very dark, thin green droppings and there was one dropping that looked a bit red (Pictures included). I can tell it's his because of where he has been sitting. His food brand hasn't changed in the past few days or anything like that. My female budgie's poop is normal.

Does any have any insight into what might be going on? I have work today so I can't take him to the vet immediately (I can in the afternoon) but is there any other behavior I should look out for?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG-5714.jpg 
Views:	10 
Size:	29.0 KB 
ID:	5418Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG-5713.jpg 
Views:	8 
Size:	95.1 KB 
ID:	5419Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG-5712.jpg 
Size:	92.9 KB 
ID:	5420Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG-5711.jpg 
Size:	95.4 KB 
ID:	5421Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG-5710.jpg 
Views:	10 
Size:	95.2 KB 
ID:	5422Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG-5708.jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	93.3 KB 
ID:	5423

Super Moderator

Parrots

Willy-Eclectus, Oliver-alexandrine, Mookie-Senegal, Bella- Australian King, Joey and Peewee- Barrabands, Peachiegirl-Peachfront conure, Pepper- crimson belly conure, Peanut-plum head, Babyblue-parrotlette, Harry and Louie-canaries.
    So sorry to hear about your budgie. Birds will typically hide their illness until they no longer have the ability. Your budgie definitely needs to see an avian vet. The changes are too dramatic to wait and see what happens. Please let us know what happens. Best wishes for a positive outcome.

Parrots

Budgie
    I took Coco to the emergency vet that afternoon... they put him in an oxygenated cage. He passed in the early morning. I'm completely broken, words can not describe...

Super Moderator

Parrots

Willy-Eclectus, Oliver-alexandrine, Mookie-Senegal, Bella- Australian King, Joey and Peewee- Barrabands, Peachiegirl-Peachfront conure, Pepper- crimson belly conure, Peanut-plum head, Babyblue-parrotlette, Harry and Louie-canaries.
    Oh…I am so sorry to hear this. I was hoping it was not something serious. I am so sorry for your loss.