User Tag List

Thread: A Unique Title :o

A Unique Title :o

Hi, as you may have guessed, I'm new lol. I'm interested in getting a Conure, they're my favorite, or a parakeet as I've been studying and will continue studying them and birds alike. I've never owned a bird before but when we're done moving I'll have a good bit of space and lack of company. I'm homeschooled and Covid's put a big dent in getting a job, so the birdie will have a lot of time with me and I'll be in desperate need of some companionship lol. I've never had cats or dogs of my own, and whilst my family does have cats and other pets of their own, they won't be allowed anywhere near my area of the house (the mother-in-law suite) regardless of whether I got a bird or not. I've been trying my best to learn plenty and will be spending the next several months continuing my research.

Sadly I don't think there are any adoption centers near me for birds and I've had a really tough time finding some online, so my best option (again, sadly) is our local PetCo or PetSmart. I guess it helps to save them from the bad environments, but from what I've been researching, they get their birds from mills? Idk if that's for all of them or if that's still true, but it's terrible either way. Whilst I hate the idea of supporting mills and those kinds of breeders, if I have to go there to bring one or two home, at least I know they'll be safe and happy... though I'm still heavily on the fence about the entire process there...

I do plan on keeping them flighted and I'll be training them plenty, including lots of flight training. I plan on thoroughly securing my rooms - maybe a bit Too thoroughly - and maybe someday (once I eventually start earning my own income) turning my bedroom's porch into a safe, screened-in porch where the birds can safely fly about. I also plan on doing lots of DIY and eventually maybe someday making my own perches and tree stands! Any ideas, advice, words of encouragement, or overall input would be appreciated.

2. The following user likes this post:

Dragonlady2 (09-20-2021)

Super Moderator

Parrots

Willy-Eclectus, Oliver-alexandrine, Mookie-Senegal, Bella- Australian King, Joey and Peewee- Barrabands, Peachiegirl-Peachfront conure, Pepper- crimson belly conure, Peanut-plum head, Babyblue-parrotlette, Harry and Louie-canaries.
    It sounds like you have given a lot of thought to this. Securing your area of the home from the cats will be really important. Another thing to consider is ensuring you have an avian vet you can access if your bird needs medical attention.

I've definitely been trying. We won't be fully moved until a few months from now but hopefully, by then all will be good. We have a few avian vets nearby, the closest I saw was 25-30 minutes away. The rescues I've found say they don't deliver more than 100m from where I live, which makes a lot of sense as they have a very strict sounding adoption process, so if there's no other way I can find a bird right for me then I'll take your advice and adopt from the store. Thank you very much for your help! Anything to calm the nerves is very appreciated.

5. The following user likes this post:

Dragonlady2 (09-22-2021)

Super Moderator

Parrots

Willy-Eclectus, Oliver-alexandrine, Mookie-Senegal, Bella- Australian King, Joey and Peewee- Barrabands, Peachiegirl-Peachfront conure, Pepper- crimson belly conure, Peanut-plum head, Babyblue-parrotlette, Harry and Louie-canaries.
    Let us know when you finally get settled and adopt a bird.