User Tag List

Thread: Underweight Too

Underweight Too

So Ive noticed my 16 year old cockatoo has lost some weight recently. She is fairly active, preferring to stay in/on her cage tho. I give her lots of toys and theyre usually destroyed within the day. So I know she is chewing them up while Im at work.
    She does lay eggs and spend a lot of time sitting on them. Which I think is part of the problem. I leave the egg for a week or so before taking it away since ive read taking it right away will just make her lay another very soon. The more eggs shes laying, the higher the odds for binding so I chose to let her sit on it. I dont think shes caring for herself much during the time she has an egg in there tho. I tried moving her bowl closer to her on the bottom of the cage. But she doesnt seem very interested.
    I feed twice a day, mazuri pellets with some seeds (she was fed all seed in her previous home) in the morning and fresh veggies in the afternoon when I get home from work. She does like her monkey biscuits too and Ive been giving her 3-4 softened biscuits daily.
    I see that baby bird formula is usually recommended to help gain weight. I have some already since I handfeed my baby lovebirds. But im wondering how people go about feeding the formula to their adult birds? Do you just put it in a bowl and offer it? Or feed with a syringe like you would to a baby?

I am taking her to the vet for a check up as well. I just mainly wanted to get opinions on how I might offer the formula to her

2. The following 2 users like this post:

Casper's 2nd best friend (09-10-2021), Dragonlady2 (09-11-2021)

Parrots

Casper, a blue fronted Amazon. Loves banana. Hates plastic bags and red coats.
    It is a good idea to get a check by an avian vet if she has not had one for a while.
    Casper has slowly lost weight over the years but his blood tests were all good and the vet has proscribed Metacam for his arthritis because he was complaining when stretching his wings.
    Diet wise we give him Harrisons (and some seed mix to encourage him to visit that bowl), banana and other fruits in season, fresh runner beans and pea pods... and he loves carrot cake as a treat.
    "A busy beak is a happy beak" - David Strom

4. The following user likes this post:

Dragonlady2 (09-11-2021)

Super Moderator

Parrots

Willy-Eclectus, Oliver-alexandrine, Mookie-Senegal, Bella- Australian King, Joey and Peewee- Barrabands, Peachiegirl-Peachfront conure, Pepper- crimson belly conure, Peanut-plum head, Babyblue-parrotlette, Harry and Louie-canaries.
    Sorry I missed your post. You could try offering it to her on a spoon. Most of my birds will eat their mashed sweet potato off a fork. If she has a favourite food, maybe mix it with the formula. Definitely should see a vet to ensure there aren’t other issues going on. Please let us know how she is doing.