User Tag List

Thread: Introduction Help

Parrots

Black Capped Green Cheek & Yellow-Sided Green Cheek

Introduction Help

Hey guys,
    Last week I added an 8-month-old GC, Sophia, to our home. I moved my other baby's, Eddie, cage next to her's so that they would get a little used to each other.
    Today, I opened up the tops of their cages and Eddie started running up and down like crazy and finally made his way over to Sophia's cage and immediately started fighting with her. So, I put her away in her cage for safety and he started fighting with her from outside the cage. So I put him away too.
    Is this normal behavior when introducing new birds? I am so upset. I can understand that they would be leery of each other but to start fighting like that???
    Maybe it's too soon. Eddie is used to being the king-pin of sorts; is that the problem?
    I need some advice on how I should handle this. I am aware that they may never like each other and I am prepared to love both of them equally. But, I would really like for them to get along.

HELP!!!!

2. The following user likes this post:

Dragonlady2 (12-24-2022)

Super Moderator

Parrots

Willy-Eclectus, Oliver-alexandrine, Mookie-Senegal, Bella- Australian King, Joey and Peewee- Barrabands, Peachiegirl-Peachfront conure, Pepper- crimson belly conure, Peanut-plum head, Babyblue-parrotlette, Harry and Louie-canaries.
    I would try separating their cages a little further for now. Could be all the newness may be having an effect on them both. For now, try letting one bird out at a time. Cover the top of the other bird for protection and let them see each other in controlled circumstances. Let them learn to call to each other…give them treats at the same time…etc. Try a slower approach. The cages being close together might be more of an issue of each of them defending their territory from each other. For now, I would not allow them to enter each other’s cage until you see they are friendlier to each other. Be prepared to intervene.
    Birds are picky about their friends like humans are…they may take to each other or not. Good for you willing to accept them together or not. I have “shifts” where a few of my birds are let out while the others wait their turn. They don’t all get along.

I am sure you will help them figure it out.

Parrots

Black Capped Green Cheek & Yellow-Sided Green Cheek
    Thank you for your response.
    Since my last post, Eddie has been approaching Sophia's cage and they are peacefully starting to touch beaks through her cage wall. Of course, the second I approached, Eddie started to get rough. I guess Eddie needs time to learn to share.
    BTW, you babies are absolutely beautiful!!!

5. The following user likes this post:

Dragonlady2 (12-26-2022)

Super Moderator

Parrots

Willy-Eclectus, Oliver-alexandrine, Mookie-Senegal, Bella- Australian King, Joey and Peewee- Barrabands, Peachiegirl-Peachfront conure, Pepper- crimson belly conure, Peanut-plum head, Babyblue-parrotlette, Harry and Louie-canaries.
    Thanks for the update. It will be great if they get along and they can be out together.