User Tag List

Thread: Parrot in Mouring / Grieving

Parrots

Solomon Island Eclectus

Parrot in Mouring / Grieving

Hello, 2 months ago my Moses (Solomon Island Eclectus) lost his best friend to cancer Moses has been with my Duchess (retired k-9 german shepherd) since Moses was a baby. He has not been the same since October 13th,2023.

I am hoping I can receive advice or suggestions as to how I can help Moses Grieve and Recover. I heard stories that sometimes birds can mourn for years after the loss of a loved one (human or other).

He does not talk as much as he used to talk. He seems to wish to be alone rather than he usually likes to sit with my wife and I and watch TV.

Years ago Moses would not go into his sleeping cage unless his buddy Duchess was in the same room. Since that time he has been sleeping in the same room with Duchess (until she passed away) This is also our very large master bedroom.

Now Moses does not wish to go into the cage and is going to his sleeping cage later and later in the night. He used to go to me for what we call "sleeping time" between 8 pm and 8:30 pm. Now it is getting later and later. I would say about 8pm Moses want to go "sleeping time" and he would hop down and go on my hand and would go to his sleeping cage with no problem. Now he does not do this and prefers to go under the large TV wall unit . He often brings his favorite toy and the "red ball" that Duchess would play with and take it under the TV wall unit.

My wife recently saw Moses feeding the "red ball" that belonged to my girl Duchess

In closing anyone have advice or suggestion to help Moses during this mourning / grieving time?

Thank you and God Bless

Larry azflcowboy

PS i once attached a picture of my k-9 dog Duchess and Moses but had to remove it as dogs were not permitted to be posted.
    Attachments Attachments IMG_20191029_163544.jpg  

Super Moderator

Parrots

Willy-Eclectus, Oliver-alexandrine, Mookie-Senegal, Bella- Australian King, Joey and Peewee- Barrabands, Peachiegirl-Peachfront conure, Pepper- crimson belly conure, Peanut-plum head, Babyblue-parrotlette, Harry and Louie-canaries.
    Hello and welcome to the forum. Moses looks very young in his picture…is this an early picture of him? I have an eclectus as well. You are correct that it may take some time for him to get past Duchess’ death. As well, my eclectus is going through a molt right now which makes him less agreeable than normal. You could try seeing if he can be distracted by cartoons or a nature channel. Try soft quiet music when it’s his bedtime to see if it helps settle him.
    Eclectus don’t have a specific breeding time and can be hormonal year round. He may be experiencing that as well. Distraction and maybe some new routines may be what might help him.

Thank you for sharing your story. Please let us know how things progress .

Parrots

Solomon Island Eclectus
    Hello and Thank you that is good advice
    However now a more serious problem has come up to our attention.
    I noticed the past week that Moses is drinking alot of water, actually i never saw him drink water, as he gets fresh fruit and vegetables every day which has moisture, he would take a sip of water with his afternoon and evening Tops Pellets.
    I contacted the avian vet Dr Hall and she stated he had a slight above normal in his liver blood tests and she feels he may be going into liver disease((
    I am bringing Moses to her office when she is available in the next 2 weeks and she will take another blood test and see what is happening.
    I did research it and liver disease namely fatty liver can be reversed with proper vet attention.
    So my my the kids keep us busy.
    thank you again God Bless
    Larry azflcowboy

- - - Updated - - -

Hello and Thank you that is good advice
    However now a more serious problem has come up to our attention.
    I noticed the past week that Moses is drinking alot of water, actually i never saw him drink water, as he gets fresh fruit and vegetables every day which has moisture, he would take a sip of water with his afternoon and evening Tops Pellets.
    I contacted the avian vet Dr Hall and she stated he had a slight above normal in his liver blood tests and she feels he may be going into liver disease((
    I am bringing Moses to her office when she is available in the next 2 weeks and she will take another blood test and see what is happening.
    I did research it and liver disease namely fatty liver can be reversed with proper vet attention.
    So my my the kids keep us busy.
    thank you again God Bless
    Larry azflcowboy