User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: age & gender of Indian Ringneck

age & gender of Indian Ringneck

Hello,

Could you please advise for estimated age and gender of attached Indian Ringneck ?

thank you
    Attachments Attachments paki2.jpg  

paki1.jpg  

Paki3...jpg  

Super Moderator

Parrots

Willy-Eclectus, Oliver-alexandrine, Mookie-Senegal, Bella- Australian King, Joey and Peewee- Barrabands, Peachiegirl-Peachfront conure, Pepper- crimson belly conure, Peanut-plum head, Babyblue-parrotlette, Harry and Louie-canaries.
    It’s not possible to guess at age and gender. It looks like it doesn’t have a ring on its leg. Best idea would be to take it to an avian vet. Where did you get the bird?

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonlady2 View Post
    It’s not possible to guess at age and gender. It looks like it doesn’t have a ring on its leg. Best idea would be to take it to an avian vet. Where did you get the bird?
    Hello, thank you for reply. I bought the bird from a small breeder. he told me that it is 7 months age but I could not trust much. What are the characteristics that determine gender and age ?

Super Moderator

Parrots

Willy-Eclectus, Oliver-alexandrine, Mookie-Senegal, Bella- Australian King, Joey and Peewee- Barrabands, Peachiegirl-Peachfront conure, Pepper- crimson belly conure, Peanut-plum head, Babyblue-parrotlette, Harry and Louie-canaries.
    If it’s a male, he will develop a black ring around his neck at around 1 1/2 to 2 years of age. Males tend to pick up talking better than females. Is it hand tame...will he sit on your fingers?

If it’s a male, he will develop a black ring around his neck at around 1 1/2 to 2 years of age. Males tend to pick up talking better than females. Is it hand tame...will he sit on your fingers?
    hello, nowadays it was started gradually to come my finger. But I think I need a few months for best taming. lots of people Said to be a difficult breed to taming. I hope he's a man cause at least I want him to do sound imitation. attached one more photo. at least can you please say your estimation for gender?

by the way I started to put it on outer perch and at night I put in cage. and I am trying to feed the bird by hand. I would like to receive your suggestions for taming.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	paki.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	90.8 KB 
ID:	5351

6. The following user likes this post:

Dragonlady2 (12-21-2020)

Super Moderator

Parrots

I can’t even guess if it is female or male. You are correct that ringnecks are more difficult to tame, but you are on the right track by encouraging it to go on your finger. Try giving it a treat, like nut or seed, with your fingers so it gets used to your hands. The more that you are able to have it on your fingers/hand, the tamer it will become. Try offering the treat in your hand to see if it will eat it out of your hand.
    Talk to it a lot. Birds are quite intelligent and will connect words to actions. When you give it a treat, tell it that you are giving it a treat.
    I give my birds a piece of parrot cookie before bed. I just ask them “wanna cookie”...they all will get excited and go to their food dish.
    Keep working at the training and I am sure the bird will come around.

I can’t even guess if it is female or male. You are correct that ringnecks are more difficult to tame, but you are on the right track by encouraging it to go on your finger. Try giving it a treat, like nut or seed, with your fingers so it gets used to your hands. The more that you are able to have it on your fingers/hand, the tamer it will become. Try offering the treat in your hand to see if it will eat it out of your hand.
    Talk to it a lot. Birds are quite intelligent and will connect words to actions. When you give it a treat, tell it that you are giving it a treat.
    I give my birds a piece of parrot cookie before bed. I just ask them “wanna cookie”...they all will get excited and go to their food dish.
    Keep working at the training and I am sure the bird will come around.

hello, my Ringneck is still so quiet. I know that it can make sounds and make various crowing even if he is female. I sometimes listen to music, constantly call and talk to him. When do you think the chirps start ?

Super Moderator

Parrots

It will start when it is comfortable being there. Sometimes it takes a while. Do you have any toys in its cage? Most birds like bells or soft wood to bite. Try a dish of water to see if it will take a bath.
    Can your bird see a television? Sometimes cartoons or nature shows get them interested.
    As well, some birds are just naturally quiet. I have a female Australian King who never makes a sound until it’s time for breakfast.
    Last edited by Dragonlady2; 12-29-2020 at 12:08 AM.

It will start when it is comfortable being there. Sometimes it takes a while. Do you have any toys in its cage? Most birds like bells or soft wood to bite. Try a dish of water to see if it will take a bath.
    Can your bird see a television? Sometimes cartoons or nature shows get them interested.
    As well, some birds are just naturally quiet. I have a female Australian King who never makes a sound until it’s time for breakfast.
    Hello, I put my parrot on to outer perch not in cage. on perch there are som toys for nibble. by the way
    Should I get the parrot to listen to various songs or would it be better to listen to similar parrot chirps ?

11. The following user likes this post:

Dragonlady2 (01-06-2021)

Super Moderator

Parrots

Music or chirps is fine for your bird to listen to. Parrots like all kinds of sounds, so a variety will keep it interested. I know it’s hard to wait for results in your training, but patience and time are your friends.