User Tag List

Thread: Cockatiel Hormonal Problems

Parrots

Jacket

Cockatiel Hormonal Problems

good morning everyone. i'm having some problems with my cockatiel and her hormones. i've been doing online schooling for 6 weeks now but we've been having off and on trouble since summer started. i have no clue how to discourage her from this behavior. i do not stroke her back (i never have) and she has never rubbed on me/against me to stimulate herself. she is entirely normal one minute, but then it's like a switch is flicked and she lowers her back, props up her rump and begins squeaking. i've slashed the serving of food that i give her to discourage her from laying eggs and, while that seemed to help, she's been doing what i described above now. it's almost nonstop and i have no clue what to do. i've heard about isolating them and have tried that off and on with varied results. i hate to see her like this and just want to know how to help her. thank you all so much.

more info: she's laid multiple eggs this summer and i've left a clutch of 4 in her cage. she has not laid since she laid the last one (maybe 4 weeks ago)
    there are no other birds in the house and i do not play videos with birds making noise within earshot of her.
    she's only about 4.
    i wake up at 8 AM (on weekdays) and go to bed at 2 AM, but Jacket goes to bed at 9 PM. i can still hear her exhibiting mating behavior once i've put her to bed but, once everything is quiet (AKA i lay down) she stops.

Super Moderator

Parrots

Willy-Eclectus, Oliver-alexandrine, Mookie-Senegal, Bella- Australian King, Joey and Peewee- Barrabands, Peachiegirl-Peachfront conure, Pepper- crimson belly conure, Peanut-plum head, Babyblue-parrotlette, Harry and Louie-canaries.
    Welcome to the forum. Unfortunately, cockatiels don’t have a specific breeding season. You have done a lot of the things I would suggest. It’s important to keep her on a strict schedule. At least 12 hours of sleep in a covered cage. If you are up until 2 am, she is not getting uninterrupted sleep. Can you put her in a different room?
    No mushy foods. It will probably be a good idea to buy some dummy eggs so you can put them in the cage when she lays the first egg. Make sure she has extra calcium in her diet to prevent egg binding.
    It wouldn’t hurt to have an avian vet look at her. Sometimes they can administer a drug to reduce the hormonal urges.

Parrots

Jacket
    thanks for the response. my house is very small and i'm not sure if i can. the only other room we have that would be quiet enough is my grandmother's bathroom but she gets up to use the restroom frequently. my room is (sadly) the quietest in the house but i am a senior with a lot of work to do and have to stay up late. she's been getting plenty of extra calcium and i've taken possible nesting material like paper or cardboard away from her. i live in a tiny, tiny town in texas and the only vet that'd be willing to see her only does so on fridays. i will absolutely check in though- it couldn't hurt!

Super Moderator

Parrots

Willy-Eclectus, Oliver-alexandrine, Mookie-Senegal, Bella- Australian King, Joey and Peewee- Barrabands, Peachiegirl-Peachfront conure, Pepper- crimson belly conure, Peanut-plum head, Babyblue-parrotlette, Harry and Louie-canaries.
    Unless your vet is an avian vet, I am not sure a regular vet can help her. For now, as long as you have stabilized the egg laying, she should be okay. Are you in the same room as her while you are up? Can you do your online stuff elsewhere?
    As well, try to keep temperature in the room a little on the cool side. Another thing you could try is rearranging her cage regularly.

Parrots

Jacket
    i'm not in the same room as her- as of yesterday and today, i move her out of my room until 5 PM in an attempt to give her more resting time. my grandma is gone during these hours and because my mom works nights she comes home and passes out. i'm not sure if this is the right thing to do but i know that isolation can help. temperatures have been dropping lately so i can 100% do that!

6. The following user likes this post:

Dragonlady2 (10-06-2020)