User Tag List

Thread: Someone help me :(

Parrots

Jimmy- lovebird Iris- lovebird

Someone help me :(

Good afternoon everybody,

Yesterday my male lovebird passed away, he was at the vet since Sunday evening. He left behind his partner and their 2 kids. So far, my female lovebird has not been calling to him. Nor have I seen her sad. I have her with her kids who are already 4 months old. So they are fully weaned and flight capable. Although occasionally she gets frustrated with them. I've been reading a lot about birds getting sad after the loss of their mate. I just wanted to know what are some signs I got to look out for, with her. Since Sunday she's been sleeping alone. But yesterday I decided she should sleep in the same cage with her 2 kids. Which is big enough for 3 lovebirds. So I put her little hut that her and my male lovebird use to sleep in the corner of the cage. She didn't end up staying in it and decided to stay hanging from one of her toys. Her kids do the same thing by the way. I'm just worried for her. Any recommendations? Do I get her a new partner? How long should I wait to introduce her to a new male. I feel guilty bringing in another male right away. I really bonded with my little guy and I just feel horrible. But at the same time. I don't want to lose one due to sadness. Please help me out. Someone.... Please & Thank You.

Super Moderator

Parrots

Willy-Eclectus, Oliver-alexandrine, Mookie-Senegal, Bella- Australian King, Joey and Peewee- Barrabands, Peachiegirl-Peachfront conure, Pepper- crimson belly conure, Peanut-plum head, Babyblue-parrotlette, Harry and Louie-canaries.
    So sorry to hear about your lovebird. If your female is eating and pooping, she will probably be fine. I wouldn’t put her in with her babies for now. You could get a male lovebird and set him up in a cage beside her. It will give her a chance to see him and she may be less lonely. You could do a slow introduction. This will give her time to adjust.

Parrots

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonlady2 View Post
    So sorry to hear about your lovebird. If your female is eating and pooping, she will probably be fine. I wouldn’t put her in with her babies for now. You could get a male lovebird and set him up in a cage beside her. It will give her a chance to see him and she may be less lonely. You could do a slow introduction. This will give her time to adjust.
    Thank you for your condolences, so far she has been eating good and pooping. She wants to be with everyone in the family on their shoulder. She formed a strong bond with one of her kids. Because shes always with him/her. The only thing is that they exclude the other kid. But when she is by herself the 2 kids get together again. The only thing is that she isnt sleeping in her hut where her and her mate slept. She sleeps on one of her perches and the 2 kids sleep holding onto the cage which is strange. I don't know how soon I should get her another male. But I feel guilty doing so so early. Im still processing the loss of him, me and him where very close.

Super Moderator

Parrots

Willy-Eclectus, Oliver-alexandrine, Mookie-Senegal, Bella- Australian King, Joey and Peewee- Barrabands, Peachiegirl-Peachfront conure, Pepper- crimson belly conure, Peanut-plum head, Babyblue-parrotlette, Harry and Louie-canaries.
    Are you wanting to breed your lovebird again? She may develop a better relationship with you if she is kept by herself.

Parrots

I'm really not, because her first pregnancy all the babies hatched it was 5 eggs. Only 2 made it, which are the ones she has now. Then like almost a month after the first clutch she laid 6 eggs, this time only 4 out of the 6 hatched and the ones that did hatch didn't make it. She was sad for a couple days and then not too long after her mate died. I'm very fortunate to still have her cause she's been through so much this month. So I just want to make her feel better.

Super Moderator

Parrots

Spending time with her will make her feel better. Your relationship with her may become closer. I would take the hut out of her cage because it may keep her hormonal and laying eggs. Too many eggs will lead to calcium depletion.
    It sounds like she is coming along very well. I would also think about not keeping her in the cage with the two young ones. She needs to have her own space and the two young ones need their space. Her presence may be unsettling for them.
    Time will help her and you get through this.

Parrots

What should I get for her to sleep in? I feel like shes used to sleeping on there. Ill get her into her own cage then. Thank you for the advice and I will keep you guys updated on how she is doing. Once again thannk you so much/

Super Moderator

Parrots

You could get a wreath that has yarn or some other material that she could snuggle into if she wants. My birds like to sleep on small orbits made of rope.
    Yes...let us know how she and you are doing.