User Tag List

View Poll Results: Should I bring my Budgie with me?

Voters
2. You may not vote on this poll
  • Leave Yellow at your parents house

0 0%
  • Move Yellow with you

2 100.00%

Thread: I'm moving, should I bring my Budgie with me?

Parrots

Budgie

Exclamation I'm moving, should I bring my Budgie with me?

I have one adorable female budgie who is about 4 years old. Her name is Yellow. Yellow grew up with 2 other sweet budgies who were much older than her and unfortunately died about a year ago.

Yellow's personality is very talkative. She's very curious and she entertains herself a lot. She's not interested in being pet but she likes to preen my hair

Yellow has always lived with me at my parents house but last year I went off to college so I only got to see her during breaks. Her cage is in a lively part of the living room where she would see my household of 3 people interact and she also could see/hear the lively conversations between my family and guests. She doesn't get much individual attention when I'm not there but she is apart of a very lively atmosphere and 'joins the conversation' by chirping and singing when others are laughing/talking.

Next month I'm moving out of my parents house and very far away so I will rarely be visiting (at most once a year). I've been thinking about if I should move Yellow with me (transportation would be by car)?

I would keep her cage in my home office which has a decent sized window. It's a little dark though. I'm moving to a suburban place with lots of trees and fresh air, especially compared to the city where my parents live. She wouldn't be apart of a lively atmosphere but I would be able to give her a lot of individual attention. I would also be able to let her out of her cage every day (which she enjoys, but I couldn't do often at my parents house because they wouldn't allow it.) She would be free to fly around the office (which would only basic furniture and nothing that could hurt her).

I worry that she may feel lonely since I may not be home much besides the afternoons.

Which setting might be better for her?

At my parents house:
    Pros:
    lively atmosphere, lots of people to see and hear all day. Lots of natural light.

Cons:
    Will never be out of the cage, won't get individual attention. Also, my parents care about her, but they're not as knowledgeable about birds or as attentive as I am.

At my home:
    Pros:
    My individual attention and my care for her needs. Getting to step out of her cage daily and fly as she sees fit. Getting to hear budgie videos or other relaxing sounds.

Cons:
    My home office isn't as bright as her spot in my parent's home. She may be alone in there for the majority of the day depending on my schedule (it could turn out that I'll be in my office a lot). I would basically be the only person that she sees.

I really love Yellow and I would miss her tremendously if I didn't bring her with me. However, I want to do what is best for her and her happiness.

I would appreciate any input/advice.

2. The following 2 users like this post:

Dragonlady2 (07-09-2020), PlaxMacaws (07-15-2020)

Super Moderator

Parrots

Willy-Eclectus, Oliver-alexandrine, Mookie-Senegal, Bella- Australian King, Joey and Peewee- Barrabands, Peachiegirl-Peachfront conure, Pepper- crimson belly conure, Peanut-plum head, Babyblue-parrotlette, Harry and Louie-canaries.
    Welcome to the forum! This is just my opinion...I am a believer in flight time. All of my birds are flighted and are able to fly freely around the room if they so choose. I think the flight time and one on one time with you is important. There are lots of things you can do to address the cons you have listed regarding your home office.
    1. TV with cartoons or bird videos when you are away.
    2. Extra indoor lighting.
    3. Larger cage with foraging activities/toys.
    4. What about another budgie to keep Yellow company?

4. The following user likes this post:

PlaxMacaws (07-15-2020)