User Tag List

Thread: Help Save My Grandmother's Conure

Exclamation Help Save My Grandmother's Conure

My grandmother owns a 20 year old green cheek conure that recently started vomiting non-stop. I took her to the vet and left her their for 3 days in which she recuperated quite a bit. She lost 10 grams when i initially took her in, she has since gained it all back. I was given an antibiotic and anti-inflammatory to give her twice a day. Even with her improvements she still throws up a little daily and now her stool is turning dark brown. A few months ago I noticed seed in her dropping and assumed that she had proventricular dilatation disease (PDD). I had her tested and she came back negative. Her organs and blood work seem to be 100% normal, even on the healthy side for her age. The vets seems perplexed by her issues and can't really come to an understanding on what's wrong with her. I'd love to hear from you guys. What does it sound like is causing these ailments. What steps can I take to help figure out how to treat this bird. My grandmother who is 97 absolutely adores this bird, and I really do not want her to lose her pet.

Her Symptoms:

• Vomiting
    • Seed in her stool
    • muscle wasting
    • Seizures (history of these, but hasn't had an episode in a few months)[/CODE]

Super Moderator

Parrots

Willy-Eclectus, Oliver-alexandrine, Mookie-Senegal, Bella- Australian King, Joey and Peewee- Barrabands, Peachiegirl-Peachfront conure, Pepper- crimson belly conure, Peanut-plum head, Babyblue-parrotlette, Harry and Louie-canaries.
    Welcome to the forum.
    I am sorry to hear about your grandmothers conure.
    What diet is the bird on? Does it eat any fresh food?

Unfortunately, she doesn't eat much fresh food. She usually eats seed, oatmeal, and pellets, with the occasional fresh treat that I cam manage to get her to eat.

Super Moderator

Parrots

Willy-Eclectus, Oliver-alexandrine, Mookie-Senegal, Bella- Australian King, Joey and Peewee- Barrabands, Peachiegirl-Peachfront conure, Pepper- crimson belly conure, Peanut-plum head, Babyblue-parrotlette, Harry and Louie-canaries.
    What about the cage she is in? What is the condition of it? Has there been any changes to the environment? Is your grandmother receiving any new treatment that may have an effect on the environment?

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonlady2 View Post
    What about the cage she is in? What is the condition of it? Has there been any changes to the environment? Is your grandmother receiving any new treatment that may have an effect on the environment?
    Nothing new with her environment. She does live in an old cage from 1990.

Today she hardly threw up, so i think maybe the medicine is working. Finger crossed.

6. The following 2 users like this post:

Dragonlady2 (04-11-2020), Lady (04-15-2020)