User Tag List

Thread: DIY Shower Head--Is it safe?

Parrots

1 male White-faced Cockatiel named Domino 1 male Pearl Pied Cockatiel named Yahtzee and 1 male Cockatiel in Heaven named Boo, I love you Boo <3

DIY Shower Head--Is it safe?

I really want to help my birds take a bath. One of my birds, Yahtzee, seemed to like it when I held some water in my hand and let it drip on him. I thought I needed a watering can, so I was looking up DIY watering cans. One of the blogs I found said to use an empty milk jug and poke holes in the top with a needle that's been heated by a lighter.

I wasn't really sure if I should use a milk jug because I'm not sure if I'll be able to get it 100% clean.

So instead, I had the idea to use the same method, but on a Hefty solo cup. It worked (RIP to my needle *sobs* ) but now I'm worried if the melted plastic might be dangerous for the birds? I washed the cup with really hot water and Dawn dish washing soap, but I'm still paranoid ^^;

2. The following user likes this post:

Dragonlady2 (03-28-2020)

Super Moderator

Parrots

Willy-Eclectus, Oliver-alexandrine, Mookie-Senegal, Bella- Australian King, Joey and Peewee- Barrabands, Peachiegirl-Peachfront conure, Pepper- crimson belly conure, Peanut-plum head, Babyblue-parrotlette, Harry and Louie-canaries.
    It should be fine. If you are still worried, just soak it in a little vinegar. I use vinegar and water for cleaning cages.

Have you tried misting your bird with a spray bottle? I have one bird that loves the kitchen sink with the tap running.

There is nothing happier than a bird taking a bath.

Parrots

1 male White-faced Cockatiel named Domino 1 male Pearl Pied Cockatiel named Yahtzee and 1 male Cockatiel in Heaven named Boo, I love you Boo <3
    Thank you!
    Unfortunately, they didn't like it either They didn't even want to take a bath, even though I think they need one haha
    I tried the spray bottle before but they didn't like it either. And I'm not sure if I can let them in the kitchen to take a bath either because they're very skittish for some reason?? I think they'd be a bit scared in the kitchen, and of the faucet running >_<
    Thank you again! ^^

5. The following user likes this post:

Dragonlady2 (03-30-2020)

Super Moderator

Parrots

Willy-Eclectus, Oliver-alexandrine, Mookie-Senegal, Bella- Australian King, Joey and Peewee- Barrabands, Peachiegirl-Peachfront conure, Pepper- crimson belly conure, Peanut-plum head, Babyblue-parrotlette, Harry and Louie-canaries.
    Try putting a low, wide dish on the bottom of the cage and then run the vacuum cleaner. I have one bird that doesn’t like to bathe, but if I turn on the vacuum cleaner, he heads straight to the water bowl.

7. The following user likes this post:

Lady (04-15-2020)