User Tag List

Thread: Odd leg

Odd leg

Hello everyone,
    I recently got a male ring neck parrot (who is about 2 years)
    When we got him, he was missing a claw (which was just a stump so I assumed it happened a while ago) and the rest of his claws looked healthy. But around 3 days ago, it had a pink tinge to it. I observed it and this evening i noticed it turned white and I was very alarmed. Where I live, the quality of veterinarians is not that good and I’m worried on what I should do. He is not so social and I don’t want to examine it as that will mean I’ll have to touch him and it will upset him.
    I have a picture of it that I took about 10 minutes ago

My dad said it’s healing but I’m very paranoid. He seems to be sitting on it just fine, no signs of limping

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Super Moderator

Parrots

Willy-Eclectus, Oliver-alexandrine, Mookie-Senegal, Bella- Australian King, Joey and Peewee- Barrabands, Peachiegirl-Peachfront conure, Pepper- crimson belly conure, Peanut-plum head, Babyblue-parrotlette, Harry and Louie-canaries.
    Welcome to the forum. An avian vet should really examine his claw. In the meantime, are you able to reach out to a breeder of birds who could help you with this. They typically will have some experience in issues about birds. Can you swab the toe with a mixture of cayenne pepper and water. Cayenne pepper is supposed to help with injuries. Hopefully his toe will heal quickly.

3. The following user likes this post:

memlove54 (02-13-2020)

I will try although he doesn’t like contact but thank you !

Super Moderator

Parrots

Willy-Eclectus, Oliver-alexandrine, Mookie-Senegal, Bella- Australian King, Joey and Peewee- Barrabands, Peachiegirl-Peachfront conure, Pepper- crimson belly conure, Peanut-plum head, Babyblue-parrotlette, Harry and Louie-canaries.
    Try wrapping a towel around him and holding him while someone else works on his toe.

6. The following user likes this post:

memlove54 (02-13-2020)

Super Moderator

Parrots

Illiger Macaw (Primolius maracana)
    Gee wonder how things went with this little guy?

He’s doing much better !

9. The following user likes this post:

Dragonlady2 (04-06-2020)