User Tag List

Thread: Cockatoo sounds really congested?

Parrots

Major Mitchell Cockatoo

Cockatoo sounds really congested?

So I have had my Major Mitchell Cockatoo for a week, he was fine the day we brought him home but the day after we noticed he was starting to sound really congested (kind of like how if you talk when you have a cold you can hear your voice sounds funny) and as the day went on he was sneezing quiet a bit.
    We thought it might have been irritants from inside the house since his congestion seemed to get a lot worse when we had him in the house to hang out and since he has a large outside cage we decided to keep him outside for a few days and see how he went, his congestion was a lot better (still there but better and his sneezing pretty much stopped).
    Today he still sounded a bit congested so we decided to take him to a vet and see if they could help us at all and they think he may have a cold since getting used to new home can stress them out and suppress their immune system, and they have instructed my husband and I to give him some antibiotics for the next 5 days, and told us to bring him inside at night to keep warm.
    As I write this he is on the other side of the room in a cage that I have covered so the light doesn't bother him and he can sleep and I can hear him breathing every now and then and his congestion has gotten bad again, would anyone have any ideas on how I can help him? I am so worried about him and have been doing a bunch of dusting and cleaning to see if that might help but so far nothing has.
    we have only had him a week but my husband and I are so attached to him already and hate to see him like this.
    Last edited by Emzi; 02-12-2020 at 12:32 PM. Reason: spelling corrections

Super Moderator

Parrots

Willy-Eclectus, Oliver-alexandrine, Mookie-Senegal, Bella- Australian King, Joey and Peewee- Barrabands, Peachiegirl-Peachfront conure, Pepper- crimson belly conure, Peanut-plum head, Babyblue-parrotlette, Harry and Louie-canaries.
    I am so sorry to hear about your bird not feeling well. Did you take your bird to an avian vet? Avian vets have a better understanding regarding bird health issues. I would definitely take him back to the vet for a follow up right away.
    Some things to look out for and not use are Teflon coated pans, scented candles, perfume, cleaning supplies etc. Bird are quite sensitive to fumes. Are you able to get an air purifier in the room he is in?
    Last edited by Dragonlady2; 02-12-2020 at 04:16 PM.

3. The following user likes this post:

Lady (03-04-2020)