User Tag List

Thread: Bloody Tail Feather

Parrots

1 male White-faced Cockatiel named Domino 1 male Pearl Pied Cockatiel named Yahtzee and 1 male Cockatiel in Heaven named Boo, I love you Boo <3

Bloody Tail Feather

My bird, Domino, has a bloody tail feather. I've looked it up, and everything I've found says to remove the blood feather. But there's no way I can grab and hold him to do that. My mom already tried to grab him and he bit her.

Idk why it's even bleeding in the first place. It's one of the new feathers coming in, and it still has the casing on it. I've seen him try to get it off but no luck. My mom thinks that maybe he was trying to get it off and just over did it, which is probably the case.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	sdfghjkl;'.jpg 
Views:	6 
Size:	23.4 KB 
ID:	5313

(I hope this picture shows up)
    Sorry it's kind of blurry, I had to record it and then take a screenshot of it.

For now, it seems like the bleeding has stopped. He's walking around, climbing on me and jumping. He's even singing and eating. Do I still need to remove it??

Super Moderator

Parrots

Willy-Eclectus, Oliver-alexandrine, Mookie-Senegal, Bella- Australian King, Joey and Peewee- Barrabands, Peachiegirl-Peachfront conure, Pepper- crimson belly conure, Peanut-plum head, Babyblue-parrotlette, Harry and Louie-canaries.
    To be on the safe side, Domino should really be seen by a vet. Birds can bleed to death if a broken blood feather is left unchecked. In the meantime,you can put a little flour on it to stop any bleeding. The problem is if Domino starts picking it at night, it could start bleeding and you won’t know about it until it’s too late.

Parrots

1 male White-faced Cockatiel named Domino 1 male Pearl Pied Cockatiel named Yahtzee and 1 male Cockatiel in Heaven named Boo, I love you Boo <3
    Thank you for your reply!

My mom called some vets who referred us to an actual avian vet, and they said the office visit would be around $125, not even including what he would need done (something about putting a cone on him)

I did some more research and found that pulling the feather out was also a bad idea because we might pull it the wrong way, and it's not all that common to pull them out. This is the website I found it on: https://birdsupplies.com/blogs/news/...-blood-feather

My brother and mom looked at Domino, and we all agreed that the blood looked very dry, and he wasn't bleeding so we didn't take him to the vet. (I also couldn't get him in a cage to take him, and I think I hurt his feelings chasing him around and trying to put him in one...I think he forgave me, though, because he was back on my shoulder pretty soon yesterday)

I stayed with him all day yesterday and he acted normal. Today, I come in and the tail looks a lot better. I can barely see any blood, and he acts as if nothing's wrong. I know birds act like they're fine when they're sick or hurt, but I'm very sure he's okay.
    He didn't peck or preen his tail yesterday, either. He'd preen in other places, but not the tail.

I'll keep an eye on him, and if anything else happens, we can call the vet again.

Super Moderator

Parrots

Willy-Eclectus, Oliver-alexandrine, Mookie-Senegal, Bella- Australian King, Joey and Peewee- Barrabands, Peachiegirl-Peachfront conure, Pepper- crimson belly conure, Peanut-plum head, Babyblue-parrotlette, Harry and Louie-canaries.
    Good news about Domino! His tail feather will probably grow out. Let us know how he does.

Parrots

He's doing a lot better now! I don't see any blood, and yesterday I actually saw him preen it. And today the casing is pretty much gone

Super Moderator

Parrots

That’s great news. Hopefully, Domino doesn’t have any more feather scares.