User Tag List

Thread: My lovebird has aggressive behavior?

My lovebird has aggressive behavior?

Hello, my lovebird is quite aggressive and territorial. But besides that, she's a sweet little baby (she's a year old) is there any activities or anything that might discourage this biting and territorial behavior? And is there anything that encourages this behavior that I might be doing without knowing? Thanks!

Super Moderator

Parrots

Willy-Eclectus, Oliver-alexandrine, Mookie-Senegal, Bella- Australian King, Joey and Peewee- Barrabands, Peachiegirl-Peachfront conure, Pepper- crimson belly conure, Peanut-plum head, Babyblue-parrotlette, Harry and Louie-canaries.
    Welcome to the forum!

Most birds need to be trained not to bite. Regular time out of the cage and handling will help a little. I try to avoid a bite as much as possible by recognizing when they are not open to being handled.

When does your bird bite? Are you able to handle it at all without it biting? What do you mean by territorial. When does he get up and when is he put to bed for the night? These are just a few questions to get started.

Hello! I'm so sorry I'm just seeing this post. She bites whenever she sees my finger at all, and what I mean by territorial is that she is VERY protective of her cage and bites and screams when I put my hand in. She's usually the one who wakes me up with screaming 😁 that's around 7:20 and I put her to bed around 9:00

Super Moderator

Parrots

Illiger Macaw (Primolius maracana)
    Hi and welcome to P.P.,

One thing that works well for me is to get her out and away from her cage. If I can get her onto her play gym or on her stand alone perch my Lady is much easier to handle. She claims her cage as a no go area for humans unless we have food. I guess she likes her personal space but it can be quite frustrating when she wants attention and will quiet down if I come to her cage but doesn't really want me to interact with her. When I need to get her I can use a perch to put behind her feet and she will step on so I can move her to a different space away from her cage.

5. The following user likes this post:

Dragonlady2 (01-15-2020)